894 Posts
Re: Mothers Powerball

Almost bought one this weekend.

I will let you try first. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be sure to report back. The reviews on amazon were very favorable. I spent some time last night cleaning the break dust of my wheels after a trip to Kansas. I'm all for making that job easier. :cheers:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use a Powerball to polish up the forged Centerlines on my truck. Sure makes the job eaiser than doing it by hand with rags. Not sure why you'd need to polish the stock wheels on the Acadia since they have a clear coat to protect them. Maybe I'm wrong???

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tdrumm said:
I use a Powerball to polish up the forged Centerlines on my truck. Sure makes the job eaiser than doing it by hand with rags. Not sure why you'd need to polish the stock wheels on the Acadia since they have a clear coat to protect them. Maybe I'm wrong???
Maybe I don't need the polish... does anyone else know?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would venture to say if you have the polished wheel, you may indeed have a clearcoat... you do NOT want to scratch that with the wrong cleaner/polish

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wheels are clearcoated, the 19" at least. Be careful, the finish scratches very easily, use a paint polish if u want to remove some the scratches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
rme8494 said:
Hey Everyone,
Just placed and order on amazon.com for a Mother's Power ball and some Mothers Wheel cleaner...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009P5GPU/002-7331182-1176046

Anyone ever use one before? I also bought some leather cleaner by Mothers as well. I really really love this ride!!

Ryan
When you get the gear, ditch the polish! It's not great for clear coated wheels. If you simply must use the powerball, be extra careful. If there's any crap in the wheel's corners and the ball picks it up, it'll scratch the wheel!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I clayed my Acadia and waxed it with Zaino as soon as I got it. I always wax the wheels too, since they're clear coated. I find when I do it, less brake dust sticks in the first place.

That being said, I am fascinated with the Power Ball for it's ability to reach areas that are tough to get by hand. I'd be interested in feedback from those of you who use it. I also notice they have a mini power ball, it might be handy too.

Love the Acadia, can't remember a vehicle that's been so enjoyable for the family. Erik

·
Registered
659 Posts
You really need to be very careful when you combine power tools with fine abrasives. One false move and its a great way to break through a polymer coating. I'm not saying not to use it but regular use of anything that magically cleans the surface (be it abrasive or chemical) will take a toll in the long run in abrading the surface and breaking the clear coat on the 90 degree edges. Although they can certainly be used on anything, devices like the power ball are really meant for polishing chrome and other smooth solid metal surfaces. Anything with a coating, be it clear or powder coat, is really best left to hand effort in my book. Also, I would never use something like that without removing the brake dust first as brake dust is very, very abrasive (brakes don't work well with slippery material) and anything spinning around and forcing it over and over on the surface and into the fine crevices will surely take a toll. Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
284 Posts
ALL of the Acadia wheels are clearcoated, so actually they shouldn't have anything more done to them than what you'd do to the rest of your paint.

You can still use the powerball, but only with a regular paint polish and NOT something designed for non-clear coated wheels (what the original intent of the power ball and the products they advertise with it, was for).

Simple soap and water, or a very safe wheel cleaner if need be, and then just a typical polish and sealant like you'd do to your paint, and you're set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts