GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a little ride today and encountered a toyota truck in front of me that was driving very slow then faster.He seemed to be teasing me or was drunk or just a stupid foreign car owner(I say that lest we forget pearl harbor) anyway I pulled out to pass him and lo and behold he stepped it down so I stepped mine down to get by him and did I ever go by him nice.It was a peer pleasure to feel the response as I have never did this before goodby toyota.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Re: acadia versus toyota truck

Toyota chases Tundra camshaft failures

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

A camshaft is a spinning rod that opens the engine's intake and exhaust valves in sequence. Toyota's camshafts are designed to avoid collateral damage if they snap.

Toyota rushed the 5.7-liter engine into production in time for the Tundra's February launch. The 5.7-liter initially was scheduled to arrive this summer. But Toyota dealers and product planners told the manufacturing arm that the Tundra needed the big V-8 at launch because the 4.7-liter V-8 would not make a strong enough statement.

The 5.7-liter represents more than 70 percent of the engine mix.

Toyota's top executives repeatedly have stated their concern that Toyota is growing too quickly to keep quality at past high levels.

Toyota likely will not test each camshaft to see if it is prone to failure. Rather, customers whose camshafts fail will have their entire engines replaced.

One Toyota dealer service technician who declined to be identified says Toyota asked him to ship overnight a defective engine to its V-8 engine plant in Alabama.

"The guy was towing a small trailer, not under full load," the technician says. "Other folks have been towing 10,000 pounds with no problem."

·
Registered
164 Posts

VERY old news.
don willems said:
Toyota chases Tundra camshaft failures

Mark Rechtin
Automotive News
May 28, 2007 - 1:00 am

LOS ANGELES -- A batch of camshaft failures in 5.7-liter V-8 engines has dinged the launch of the Toyota Tundra pickup.

Camshafts in 20 engines have snapped, says Toyota spokesman Mike Michels. The outside camshaft supplier, which Toyota declined to identify, has traced the problem to "a metallurgical defect in the casting, a flaw in the metal which they have corrected," he says.

To date, Toyota has built 30,000 of the engines, and the company is determining how many might be affected. Michels says that it was "an early batch," and that "Toyota is confident in the production from that point on."

A camshaft is a spinning rod that opens the engine's intake and exhaust valves in sequence. Toyota's camshafts are designed to avoid collateral damage if they snap.

Toyota rushed the 5.7-liter engine into production in time for the Tundra's February launch. The 5.7-liter initially was scheduled to arrive this summer. But Toyota dealers and product planners told the manufacturing arm that the Tundra needed the big V-8 at launch because the 4.7-liter V-8 would not make a strong enough statement.

The 5.7-liter represents more than 70 percent of the engine mix.

Toyota's top executives repeatedly have stated their concern that Toyota is growing too quickly to keep quality at past high levels.

Toyota likely will not test each camshaft to see if it is prone to failure. Rather, customers whose camshafts fail will have their entire engines replaced.

One Toyota dealer service technician who declined to be identified says Toyota asked him to ship overnight a defective engine to its V-8 engine plant in Alabama.

"The guy was towing a small trailer, not under full load," the technician says. "Other folks have been towing 10,000 pounds with no problem."

·
Registered
156 Posts

dolee said:
Went for a little ride today and encountered a toyota truck in front of me that was driving very slow then faster.He seemed to be teasing me or was drunk or just a stupid foreign car owner(I say that lest we forget pearl harbor) anyway I pulled out to pass him and lo and behold he stepped it down so I stepped mine down to get by him and did I ever go by him nice.It was a peer pleasure to feel the response as I have never did this before goodby toyota.
I no longer measure my vehicle on how fast it is off the light, I measure it on MPG. I think most of America is starting to agree by the decline in sales of Gas gusslers and the increase sale of compact cars. Soon, if not now, it will be cooler to have a 40mpg car that a 0-60 in xx car. My wife has a 4 cyl camery that will smoke my Acadia in take off.

And the "stupid foreign car owner" comment. I'll take it that you ment "Stupid guy who happened to own a foreign car" because most of those "stupid" Toyota's are built in the US. Our Camery was built in Kentucky and My Chevrolet Silverado was not even built in the United States :banghead:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

People like you that are bringing america down.All that jap money goes back to japan so if you continue supporting foreign products we will be a third world country someday.

·
Registered
166 Posts

dolee said:
People like you that are bringing america down.All that jap money goes back to japan so if you continue supporting foreign products we will be a third world country someday.
You don't have to sugar-coat it for us... tell us how you really feel. ::)

·
Registered
88 Posts

But the people being employed at these factories are AMERICANS.. keeping the jobs in AMERICA. Several "AMERICAN" cars are made in Mexico & Canada... who cares where the profits are going.. which companies are keeping the jobs in AMERICA? The "foreign" car companies are the ones paying American's salaries... while the "American" car companies are shipping more and more jobs out of the country all the time. If the foreign car companies can make vehicles in the US because it's cheaper... why can't the American car companies? I know.. it's the UAW.. but that's a whole subject in itself!!!

I'm just proud the Acadia is still made in the US!!!

So... you sir are the type of person bringing America down. I'm all for buying American if possible.. but not for foreign made products w/ American stamps on them.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I say move all plants to none union states, like Toyota and Honda do. Then you don't have to pay a floor sweeper the same amount as a glass installer etc. I think unions used to be a good idea that was before they turned in to political machines that do nothing for the workers.

·
Registered
156 Posts

dolee said:
If you knew me you would know how funny this statment is. I'm the person who always goes the extra mile to buy "Made in America" Last week I went the extra mile and paid $46 dollars for a plain leather belt just so it would say "made in America" on the inside of it. I couldn't even find one at a local merchant, so I had to search the net to find it. When i got it...it was the wrong size and had to pay another $7 shipping to get the right one. So I paid $53 dollars for a belt that I could have bought at Walmart for $8 with a China stick on it. I paid tripple the price for our master bedroom furniture because it was Made in ferdinand Indiana. And Double the price on my childs baby furniture because it was made in North Carolina (And I really didn't like it as well as the foreign made bedroom suite.) I'll always pay 10 times the cost for a pocket knife made in Bradford, PA. Heck, just the fact that I can tell you down to the state and city of where this stuff is made should tell you that I did my homework before buying these products. Buying American MADE is always in the front of my mind, to the point I pretty much decided to stop shopping at Walmart about 6 years ago because they have changed everything Sam Walton stood for (try to find stuff in there made in America.) I could go on and on about how I have paid premiums for the sake of it being Made in America. When I bought my Acaida I was considering a Highlander but the deal breaker for me was "100% Made in Japan" where the Acadia is "%70 made in America." So before you start putting stereotype labels on me with statements like "People like you", you should get to know me first!

NAFTA was one of the dumbest things the American politicans ever did. And who jumped in and took full advantage of it....*HINT....GM While GM was shipping jobs to Mexico and Canada, Toyota was shipping jobs to America...oh the Irony I find in that.

"American companies" no longer equals "made in America" and "foreign compains" doesn't always mean "foreign made"

If you want to worry about shipping your money over seas, perhaps you should buy a hybrid car and not an Acadia, I'm pretty sure you and I both should be more worried about the money we are shipping to oil producing countries rather than Japan. But thats a whole other subject.

·
Registered
43 Posts

Well said. At 70% American parts, the Acadia is about as close as you are going to get to an "American Car". The fact is that there is no such thing anymore. With the global economy, the parts are made all over the world. The ironic thing about your debate with dolee is that Toyota makes some of GM's cars. The Pontiac Vibe and the Toyota Matrix are the same car with different badging. So, would dolee say that people that buy the Pontiac Vibe are sending that Jap money back to Japan? By the way the Pontiac G8 is made in Australia. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no such thing as an "American car" anymore. Toyota's are made in America now, and GM's are made over seas.

·
Registered
39 Posts

s2acadia said:
dolee said:
Our Camery was built in Kentucky and My Chevrolet Silverado was not even built in the United States :banghead:
It was probably built in Oshawa, Canada, and built well, but GM is STILL closing the plant! Go figure!

·
Registered
164 Posts

dolee said:
If you want to worry about shipping your money over seas, perhaps you should buy a hybrid car and not an Acadia, I'm pretty sure you and I both should be more worried about the money we are shipping to oil producing countries rather than Japan. But thats a whole other subject.
Gas is not the only consumer product produced from oil:

Ammonia, Anesthetics, Antihistamines, Artificial limbs, Artificial Turf, Antiseptics, Aspirin, Auto Parts, Awnings, Balloons, Ballpoint pens, Bandages, Beach Umbrellas, Boats, Cameras, Candles, Car Battery Cases, Carpets, Caulking, Combs, Cortisones, Cosmetics, Crayons, Credit Cards, Curtains, Deodorants, Detergents, Dice, Disposable Diapers, Dolls, Dyes, Eye Glasses, Electrical Wiring Insulation, Faucet Washers, Fishing Rods, Fishing Line, Fishing Lures, Food Preservatives, Food Packaging, Garden Hose, Glue, Hair Coloring, Hair Curlers, Hand Lotion, Hearing Aids, Heart Valves, Ink, Insect Repellant, Insecticides, Linoleum, Lip Stick, Milk Jugs, Nail Polish, Oil Filters, Panty Hose, Perfume, Petroleum Jelly, Rubber Cement, Rubbing Alcohol, Shampoo, Shaving Cream, Shoes, Toothpaste, Trash Bags, Upholstery, Vitamin Capsules, Water Pipes, Yarn

A Google search of "Products made from oil" will turn up a plethora of things that consumers use everyday. Even if gas usage was reduced, we as consumers still use oil in some fashion.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: Acadia versus toyota truck

Maybe we should start a "kill" (racing) section here. :p

My Toyota has more power, but only because it has a Chevy V8!:

·
Registered
912 Posts

s2acadia said:
dolee said:
I no longer measure my vehicle on how fast it is off the light, I measure it on MPG. I think most of America is starting to agree by the decline in sales of Gas gusslers and the increase sale of compact cars. Soon, if not now, it will be cooler to have a 40mpg car that a 0-60 in xx car. My wife has a 4 cyl camery that will smoke my Acadia in take off.

And the "stupid foreign car owner" comment. I'll take it that you ment "Stupid guy who happened to own a foreign car" because most of those "stupid" Toyota's are built in the US. Our Camery was built in Kentucky and My Chevrolet Silverado was not even built in the United States :banghead:
Your Silverado was probably built in Oshawa Ontario.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts