GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on switching to Mobil 1 synthetic for acadia's next oil change. Acadia's specifications recommend
5W-30W oil. Today while browsing through Pep Boys I discovered Mobil 1 synthetic 0W-30W; claims to
outperform 5W-30W while possibly improving fuel economy by 2% (the usual disclaimers were on the label,
basically YMMV).

I plan on using the recommended 5W-30W, however I am curious about the pros & cons of 0W-30W oil
versus 5W-30W. Also has anyone used this product and benefitted from any improvement in mpg? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I have used it in the past and did not see any benefit. Unless I misunderstand the numbers, the lower number is the rating the defines how well the oil will flow (i.e. 10W will flow cold the same as SAE 10), and the top number is the actual viscosity. Given that most of the driving will be with hot oil, and both would have the 30W properties and not need to flow as freely as a 0W oil, it does not make sense to me that it would make much of a difference.

I personally would not chance using something out of the GM specs. Perhaps in very very cold climates the 0W would be good for cold starts, but even with that, I would stick with the GM specs, especially during the warranty period.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the Mobil One 5W30 and I am happy with my 16.9-19.4mpg range I get with AWD. I use Mobil One for piece of mind as my most important factor.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GAR's right, the 0W will really only help for cold starts in the dead of winter. I used Mobil 1 0W-30 during the winters in our Odyssey (it called for 5W-20 year-round, yeah right ::), but that's another rant), until our Autozone stopped carrying it. Considering M1 5W-30 still has a pour point of -53F, I doubt there is much more benefit to the 0W-30.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The first number is not the viscosity, its the rate of flow at different tempuritures, A 0w30 oil is an oil that flows like a 0 weight oil but lubricates like a 30 weight. So a 0w30 and a 5w30 and a 10 all lubricate the same, but the 0 flows easier. So I could possily help for mileage, but probably not that significant. I had an oil representative tell me that Nascar actually uses a Ow oil for qualifying.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
leafspring -

I think I understood what you just said, and I think it is in line with what I believe.
The 2nd number, in this case "30" is the "weight" or the SAE viscosity grading of the oil when at 100°C (212°F).
The "winter" number, or the number before the W, is the winter rating. It basically says how easily the oil can be pumped. So a 10W30 oil, when cold, can be pumped by your engine as well as a single-grade SAE 10 oil can be pumped.
(note: I corrected the wording in my original post to be more clear)

Is that in line with what you are saying?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Appreciate the feedback. :thumb: I will be using Mobil 1 synthetic 5W30 extended performance along with Mobil 1 oil filter. I'm looking forward to this weekend when I get the oil change done. :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts