GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, from everything I have read on this forum, I decided to get the oil change done earlier than the DIC said. We are 5 weeks into owning the car, have 3100 miles on it (it came with 270, so we are really racking them up :-[ ), and the DIC said we had 65% of oil life left.

Regardless, I returned to our dealer of purchase with their "Free First Oil Change" certificate and requested they use only Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and a Mobil 1 oil filter. They said they had never heard of, and certainly didn't stock the filter, but that they would put in a GM filter and the Mobil 1 oil, though there would be a charge for the synthetic oil above the free certificate. I said fine and spent the next *glorious* hour in the service waiting room with my 5 year old and 9 year old who were bored to death and determined to bug each other until I totally snapped (which I didn't! Woo Hoo for me!)

ANYWAY.... When it was done, they said that a Synthetic Oil Change was $88.00, and they would be *happy* to deduct the $39.00 for the regular oil change certificate, leaving me to pay $50 for an oil change. WHAT???? Is that really how much it will cost me to put Mobil 1 into my Acadia???

They charged $9.75 a quart, and said it took 6 quarts. In the future can I buy it cheaper somewhere and bring it in, or is this just how much it will cost me to put in Mobil 1? Really, I not cheap, and I do believe that you get what you pay for (and especially if I am only changing it every 9,000 miles or so, we are talking like a few times a year), HOWEVER, I don't like getting ripped off, and I want to know what to expect, too!

So, guys, what's the verdict??

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wouldn't pay that much, but I am also not surprised by it either. Their $39 price for a regular oil change also sounds high, even for a dealer. I think you always get ripped off on Synthetic oil changes, that's why with synthetic I change it myself. It really only took 5.5 qts, not 6. If they really put in 6 qts they overfilled. If they didn't use that extra half quart someone got some free oil(the dealer I guess).

Here are some prices for Mobil 1 Synthetics at my local Wal-Mart. I just checked yesterday:
Mobil 1 Extended Perf 5 qt jug $25.97
Mobil 1 Extended perf 1 qt bottle $ 6.23
Mobil 1 regular 5 qt jug $21.97
Mobil 1 regular 1 qt bottle $ 5.67
Wal-Mart does not carry Mobil 1 filters.

I am pretty sure your dealer used regular Mobil 1(still synthetic) and not the longer life Super Syn Mobil 1.

If you want to have someone change your oil and use Mobil 1, I would shop around for prices. The Mobil 1 filter is about $10, the AC PF48 is probably about $4.50. I think Wal-Mart will even change your oil and use Mobil 1, although I have heard both good and bad about using Wal-Mart for Oil changes. But then I've had a dealer forget to tighten the oil drain plug. Nobody uses very high paid people to perform oil changes.

The good thing, now that you changed to Mobil 1, is you can run it as least as long as the OLM says. No need to change the Mobil 1 at 3000 miles, more like after 7K-10K miles depending on conditions. Your OLM is based on your using conventional dino oil, not synthetic.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Snoguy is pretty accurate IMHO. I think the price is a little high, but not to the point that you should feel taken advantage of. I just bought a Mobil 1 filter tonight and the auto parts store was asking $6.19 per quart of Mobil 1. This is higher than Wal Mart but still a point of reference for you. I think the oil change on my Corvette was about $80 for Mobil 1 at my Chevy dealer, but I only did it once a year so I did not care that much about the price.

I think changing the oil on my Enclave is pretty straight forward. I am going to switch over to Mobil 1 on my next oil change, probably this weekend. The way I justify it is I can do it myself with Mobil 1 for about the same price as the dealer with regular oil.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think I paid $70something for Royal Purple + K&N oil filter when I had my first oil change @ 3k miles.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I see Mobil 1 in hardware stores for $8.00 per quart or more, so you did not get ripped off too bad for the oil. I buy mine on sale at the parts store and average about $6.25 per quart in the long run.

My dealer will change the oil using my oil and my filter for $13.00 labor. The local shop will do it for $8.00 labor, but I like the fact that the GM dealer has all my records for the oil changes in their system, so I pay the extra $4.00

One Note: If I ask for a 3000 mile service, then it is $29.99 because they do a complete list of things. But if I just ask for the oil change, it is $13.

GAR

·
Registered
164 Posts
I buy Mobil 1 Super Syn at Costco for $29 for six quarts (six-1 qt bottles). I buy the filter from Saturn and spend a total of $37 for everything.
I do my own oil and tire rotation so I guess I'm saving a good chunk of change.

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=253.0

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Mobil 1 Full Synth with filter at our Sears Store is $55.00 incl tax and I drive 10-12K before next change. Other quick change in town is $49.00 + tax. No mess and no fuss and no taking used oil to recycle.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
teetertotter said:
Mobil 1 Full Synth with filter at our Sears Store is $55.00 incl tax and I drive 10-12K before next change. Other quick change in town is $49.00 + tax. No mess and no fuss and no taking used oil to recycle.
Those are good prices. I agree with the no fuss of recycling, so that's why I pay the $8 - $12 to have them do it.

·
Registered
484 Posts
An AMSOIL oil change for the Acadia using and AMSOIL EaO47 filter as well runs me $68. That's me doing the oil change. Running synthetic is a good thing and I also change out once a year which is around 15k miles.

To have your oil changed by the dealer and using Mobil 1 that is high. Considering you can get Mobil 1 at Sam's club or Wal-Mart for under $36 last time I checked. But then dealers do charge an outrageous amount for labor.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The retail prices quotes for Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart, Costco, Target, etc., are right. I would always expect the dealer to charge more. What I've done is to take Mobil 1 I purchased myself to the dealer and pay them just for the change and disposal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Another option for those that don't want to change their own oil might be Mobil 1 Lube Express Service Centers. Prices quoted in my area were:
Mobil 1 including Mobil 1 filter $59.95
Mobil 1 extended performance including Mobil 1 filter $67.95

There don't seem to be a lot of these centers around, but you can do a search here to see if there is one in your area:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/Audiences/Lube_Service_Center_Operators.asp

·
Registered
234 Posts
My dealer charges me about $75 for Mobil 1 oil change with GM filter. I used to change my own oil and save money but add in time to do it and getting the used oil to an appropriate recycling center, I am fine with the $75 besides I get my oil changed around 7500 miles (20-25% oil life left).

·
Registered
148 Posts
get it from costco, good deal. then when ur done u dig a hole out back and dump the old oil in there. save alot of time from going to autoparts store to recycle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ARE YOU KIDDING ABOUT DUMPING USED OIL IN THE BACKYARD???? :angryfire: :angryfire: :eek:hno:

Do you have any idea what that does to the ground, the animals, the water table, the plants? Give me a break.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I thought my oil change was either $29 or $39 from the dealer. Synthetic mix, I think. I have 49% oil now, I'll get another one in a month or so. Do folks let their oil live go right to zero?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
gnarboots11 said:
get it from costco, good deal. then when ur done u dig a hole out back and dump the old oil in there. save alot of time from going to autoparts store to recycle.
arwmommy said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ABOUT DUMPING USED OIL IN THE BACKYARD???? :angryfire: :angryfire: :eek:hno:

Do you have any idea what that does to the ground, the animals, the water table, the plants? Give me a break.
Rat407 said:
You are kidding, right??? ???
Hopefully they are kidding, but I grew up on a farm in the midwest. In the 60s, when I was taught to change oil on the cars and trucks, I was instructed to walk up and down the long gravel drive and poor the oil on any weeds growing in the drive. It wasn't until years and years later that I even knew that what we were doing could be harmful to the environment. It's a very sad thing, but my guess is that it still goes on today.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That type of oil should be about $6.something not $9 that is a rippoff if you ask me?
Call the mgr of the service dept and ask him if he would pay that amount for the same oil they sell for $6 on the streets

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Who has the best conventional oil and filter?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Who has the best conventional oil and filter?
Do you mean what brand? Or where to get your oil changed? As for regular oil and filter, most of the brands are good, like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Chevron, Castrol, as for filters AC Delco is good and you can get it at most auto parts stores, otherwise Wix is a good brand and so is Purolator. Car Quest stores and NAPA store brand filters are Wix made for them.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts