GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2021 Acadia and the SD (navigation) card is missing. I have located a new one on Amazon but am wondering if there are any special types of SD cards required and will they work in my Acadia

· Registered
3,487 Posts
Ask a dealer service department or maybe check some Youtubes for info.
Does the Owner's Manual specify anything?
You should have gotten one with the vehicle.

· Registered
7 Posts
I just purchased a used 2021 Acadia and the SD (navigation) card is missing. I have located a new one on Amazon but am wondering if there are any special types of SD cards required and will they work in my Acadia
Did you buy it from a GM dealer? If so, take it back and tell them you bought a car with "Navigation" and expect it to work. It requires a card to work, they should supply it!

· Registered
37 Posts
Did you buy it from a GM dealer? If so, take it back and tell them you bought a car with "Navigation" and expect it to work. It requires a card to work, they should supply it!
I have a 2021 and my understanding is the SD card supplied/required by GM contains the Nav system data and is not a blank card you can purchase on Amazon. In order to update the programming and street map information, you purchase the lastest version card. I just did a fast check on Amazon and found most data loaded Nav cards listed for Ford and Mazda. If you take a chance and order, be sure its returnable. I wouldnd do that purchase on EBay..
A relieble source..but they want $147

Personally I think thats a huge ripoff...they shoud support map updates as a good customer service policy.. But to be candid, I hate the poor readability/ poor map color choices/ and control layout, so I always used Waze or Google maps via android auto. They are clear, provide easier to read maps, traffic updates/rerouting and the database is self updating to the newest maps...for free.

When my car was new I had an issue and they had to replace my card, and when that failed the reader also.

As to the dealer providing it free? I doubt it. It was taken by the prior owner so GM isnt responsible.Its like saying the car came without a jack from the prior owner. Im sure they will sell you a new card with the latest map data.

· Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2021 and my understanding is the SD card supplied/required by GM contains the Nav system data and is not a blank card you can purchase on Amazon. In order to update the programming and street map information, you purchase the lastest version card. I just did a fast check on Amazon and found most data loaded Nav cards listed for Ford and Mazda. If you take a chance and order, be sure its returnable. I wouldnd do that purchase on EBay..
A relieble source..but they want $147

Personally I think thats a huge ripoff...they shoud support map updates as a good customer service policy.. But to be candid, I hate the poor readability/ poor map color choices/ and control layout, so I always used Waze or Google maps via android auto. They are clear, provide easier to read maps, traffic updates/rerouting and the database is self updating to the newest maps...for free.

When my car was new I had an issue and they had to replace my card, and when that failed the reader also.

As to the dealer providing it free? I doubt it. It was taken by the prior owner so GM isnt responsible.Its like saying the car came without a jack from the prior owner. Im sure they will sell you a new card with the latest map data.
I was not saying the dealer should provide a blank card. I am aware that the card must have the nav data on it. As far as the dealer providing it, if they advertised the car with "navigation", they have a duty to provide a working nav system. If they knew the card was missing, that should have been disclosed to the buyer so they could make an informed buying decision. A GM dealer is prohibited from selling a car with an open recall, so that can also apply to a system that is non-functioning. The buyer should have tested the nav system before committing as well, but they have a case to say that the car was advertised with a nav system and bought it expecting that to function. As for the jack, same would apply. GM dealers are supposed to inspect these cars prior to selling them, and 100% so if it's CPO.

· Registered
37 Posts
I was not saying the dealer should provide a blank card. I am aware that the card must have the nav data on it. As far as the dealer providing it, if they advertised the car with "navigation", they have a duty to provide a working nav system. If they knew the card was missing, that should have been disclosed to the buyer so they could make an informed buying decision. A GM dealer is prohibited from selling a car with an open recall, so that can also apply to a system that is non-functioning. The buyer should have tested the nav system before committing as well, but they have a case to say that the car was advertised with a nav system and bought it expecting that to function. As for the jack, same would apply. GM dealers are supposed to inspect these cars prior to selling them, and 100% so if it's CPO.
There were 2 bits of information not provided in the posters two sentence opening question: That car was purchased from a dealer and not a private purchase, and that dealer advertised it as having Navigation and not simply Navigation capable( in which case he should have informed the buyer it was missing the card). If those are the facts, then I totally agree with you that the dealer should assume respoonsibility for providing a card. Even if it was a private purchase and the seller advertised it as having Navigation, then the seller should assume responsibility for the cost. The original poster also asked what type of card, inferring he may not have known it required a programmed data card specific for GM use..Thats why I clarified that information.

I know I appreciate when forum members provide as much information as they can when questions may not be specific enough. I hoped both our replies help him.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank everyone for the input. In shopping for cards online I found several used ones with pricing all over the place. (Maybe some enterprising thief hard at work here??) At any rate I contacted the dealer and they very willingly indicated to purchase a new one, send them the invoice, and they would reimburse me. Thank you again for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts