GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 Acadia. Am getting a trouble code P0303 - Misfire on Cylinder 3. I tried replacing the coil and spark plugs, this didn't help. Took it into the dealer and am being told that there is no compression on this cylinder. Sounds like that is as far as they took the diagnostics. They are suggesting a engine replacement for $8500. So they age old question, when the repair is more than what the car is worth what do you do?
They are telling me there is no trade in value so basically worth nothing unless I can sell it as is.
Before I go down that road and sell if off as a cheap mechanics special, any ideas as to what would cause a loss of compression in 1 cylinder an possible fixes that do not include a total engine rebuild?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought of a couple ofther tidbits that may be of use:
1. This car has 180,000 miles on it, which really doesn't sound like that much to me for a total engine replacement or rebuild.

2. Prior to getting this error code we noticed it going thru a lot of oil. I have no idea where it was going, but we put about 4 quarts of oil into this car in a 3 week period.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If you don't see any oil leaks anywhere it's going through the engine via worn out rings.

Assuming the rest of the vehicle is still in decent shape, I'd probably still fix it and run it to 250,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
12 years old with close to 200k miles, it's reached the end of the road. Not worth repairing if you have to pay someone to do the work.

Once the dealer established a cylinder has zero compression, there is not much point in doing any further diagnostic work. Just runs up your bill.

The oil is most likely going out the exhaust. Either stuck/very worn rings or stuck/burnt valves.

·
Super Moderator
19,562 Posts
... any ideas as to what would cause a loss of compression in 1 cylinder an possible fixes that do not include a total engine rebuild?
The problem is either in the cylinder head, or the engine block, or both. A list of individual causes probably wouldn't be much help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, that is pretty much were I was at. Time to move this on down the road.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not sure this will help but we have a 2011 Acadia. Last June we made the decision to replace the engine. Timing chains had a problem. Vehicle had a little over 120,000 miles and it was paid for. Bought a crate engine and had it put in. Few months after our catalytic converter went bad. Replaced it. Couple more months engine started throwing codes again. Engine company finally amitted they had a batch of bad engines and since we were under warranty it was replaced. Fast forward 3 months and engine was throwing cylinder 3 misfire code. Engine still under warranty so as soon as this pandemic is over they are replacing engine again. I don't understand how we have gotten 2 bad engines from a reputable company. Good luck replacing it and in my opinion $8500 is really high for an engine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
A co-worker replaced the factory engine on his 2010 Saturn Outlook with a Jasper rebuilt. His mechanic-friend did the install. Had misfires his mechanic couldn’t solve, got Jasper to swap it out. Still not right to this day and it’s probably going on two years now! Still has misfires, but I think it’s being driven. He paid $5,000 for the engine and install.

My money’s on the problem being with his mechanic, but I’m just guessing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes it does start with a J. Lol. I believe maybe the first engine was a bad batch but not a second one. It's under warranty so they can fix it as many times as they have to to make it right

1 - 11 of 11 Posts