GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a 2004 Nissan Quest (a real piece of crap!!) Because of all the problems we've had with it, my huband is ready to sell. He's got his mind set on a toyota sienna, simply due to the fact that we have two children under five years of age. He drives a Chevy Suburban, which we both agree is not the most kid friendly vehicle. On the minivan, he likes the practicality of the sliding doors, the fact that its low enough to the ground for the kids to climb into by themselves, and of course the space. Becuase I'm SSSSOOOOOOO not a minivan person, I've been looking for a viable alternative. I came across the outlook and then found the acadia. I'm trying to push the acadia on my husband, and so far, I haven't had much luck, but he's starting to crack. I guess I'm just wondering about the step up into the car, and if a three year old could handle that on their own. And, if you've got any other comments that might be able to sway a stubborn man, I'm interested in hearing them.

Thanks for helping!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
We were also in the market for a mini-van before we made our Acadia purchase. Like you... I did not want to be seen in a mini-van. In terms of seating (2nd row captains chairs) and space, the Acadia is closest to a mini van on the inside. All your missing is the sliding doors.

I have 6 & 3 year old girls. My 3 year old needs a boost when climbing into the Acadia. But ever since I got the running boards, she's able to climb in herself.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the Acadia because I wanted a kid-friendly car. In general, I think access into the Acadia is good. But, it may be difficult for a 3-yr. old to climb in. My almost-4 yr. old daughter has some trouble. She likes to try to pull herself into the vehicle using the tracks from the easy slide second row seats and I don't want her putting her hands in there. So, I usually give her a bit of a boost.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just got my Acadia two days ago after having two Toyota minivans (even after making a solemn vow with my sister never to drive a minivan!). I did enjoy the vans at the time because my kids were small (especially loved power sliding door). But now my youngest is five and I felt like it was time to leave the minivan days behind me. My five year old daughter, who is on the small size, has no trouble climbing in the Acadia. Another thing I love is the lightness of the doors, as opposed to other suv's I've driven. My daughter can open and close them no problem. I don't miss the sliding doors at all - especially since I have the power liftgate. We also got the 8 passenger seating, and so far it's no problem for the kids to climb in the back - my almost-11 year old son is already an expert at sliding the middle seat up.

Another great thing about the Acadia is the sense of security. I love sitting up higher, and the HUD is wonderful for keeping my eyes on the road. The crash test ratings were one of the first things that made us seriously consider the Acadia. It's more expensive than a comparably equipped Sienna, but it will still fit your family five years down the road. I didn't want to be driving a minivan when I have teenagers in a few years.

Good luck convincing the hubby. Have you test-driven the Acadia? We were surprised at how untruck-like it felt. I'd definitely recommend taking one for a spin.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Where the Acadia is really nice is when you pick up the grandparents and there's actually room for them and the kids.
I think that you (and him) will also appreciate the power on the freeways.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Mini van!! A GUY wants a mini van??!! Tell him a real man would not drive a mini van. I would question his machismo.

We are in the same boat. A 2 year old and another planned next year. While higher than a car to get into. My 2 year old can crawl into this with no problem. We were looking for more space and 4 doors due to expanding family. Typical mini van customer here. I grudgingly at least too a look at them. YUCK!! The land yacht was not for us. The Acadia serves the same purpose, is probably safer, more comfortable and waaaaay more cool to look at. MPG is about the same as a van as well. I cannot see what advantage a mini van would have over the Acadia other than maybe you could remove all the seats in the van to get more cargo space.

I hate to betray all my fellow guys on here :confused: but remember, the woman has the power! **** it :banghead:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Your situation is very similar to mine, except I don't know how old your kids are. We've been driving our '97 Grand Caravan for almost 10 years now and I must admit it's been perfect for us as our kids have grown. I really love the sliding doors with young kids, but now my kids are older and they can handle swinging doors. I too was thinking we would replace the old van with a Sienna until I heard about the Acadia/Outlook and the Mazda CX-9. The CX-9 just doesn't feel roomy enough for us coming from a minivan. The GMs are really the only crossovers I consider big enough coming from a minivan. As for step-in height, it seems very similar to my van (maybe a smidge higher).

·
Registered
74 Posts
rooloumama said:
I'm trying to push the acadia on my husband, and so far, I haven't had much luck, but he's starting to crack. I guess I'm just wondering about the step up into the car, and if a three year old could handle that on their own. And, if you've got any other comments that might be able to sway a stubborn man, I'm interested in hearing them.
A 3yo would need a bit of help climbing in. My 7yo can step in, my 5yo puts a knee up then pulls in and stands up. BUT, little kids get bigger. And if really necessary, you can add running boards/side steps. It's not like you're not right there anyways, right? (I presume you still need to buckle the little one into their booster.)

You have a Suburban, so you already know all the differences in driving a truck vs a van, so I won't reiterate.

Other family-oriented comments....

We have the 7-seat model. My 5 & 7yo can both handle opening and closing the rear doors, walking between the 2nd row buckets to the 3rd row, and buckling themselves in. Very convenient.

The 2nd & 3rd rows both fold flat (no removing seats). the 3rd row is 60/40 folding. The 2nd row buckets, of course, fold independently. This is handy for all sorts of cargo arrangements. On long trips we fold down a 2nd row bucket to use as a table for the 3rd row passengers to watch movies.

Space wise, I haven't checked the numbers but I'd imagine its larger than most minivans. I don't know how big minivans are behind the 3rd row, but the Acadia has a decent amount of room even with the 3rd row up.

Other than that, tell him that if he's nice you'll let him drive it, it'll make him look much sexier than a big clunky 'burban. ;D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
oicu812 said:
Space wise, I haven't checked the numbers but I'd imagine its larger than most minivans. I don't know how big minivans are behind the 3rd row, but the Acadia has a decent amount of room even with the 3rd row up.
No way on that point. Minivans make very efficient use of space and most of them have much more room behind the 3rd row and more leg room between the rows than the Acadia. For example - cargo space behind 3rd row:

Acadia: 19.7 cu. ft.
Sienna: 43.6
Odyssey: 38.4

That said, the Acadia has more cargo space behind the 3rd row of any crossover, so I feel it's the best compromise if you really don't want a van.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keith said:
Mini van!! A GUY wants a mini van??!! Tell him a real man would not drive a mini van. I would question his machismo.
He only wants it because I would be the one driving it...he never drives the quest.

I gave into the minvan ONLY because it was the most practical choice at that time. Now that we don't have to lift heavy infant car seats in and out, and we no longer own big, bulky strollers, I'm ready to drive something I feel good about and will work for our family. I think the Acadia accomplishes both of these.

In response to another question as to whether we'd test driven or not, the answer is not yet. I've just recently been able to get the hubby to agree to look at anything else. He says we can go to the dealership this weekend!

Thanks to everyone who replied!

·
Registered
74 Posts
rooloumama said:
In response to another question as to whether we'd test driven or not, the answer is not yet. I've just recently been able to get the hubby to agree to look at anything else. He says we can go to the dealership this weekend!
Get the dealer to give you an extended test drive. When I asked for a test drive, our dealer suggested I pick one up on Sat afternoon and return it sometime Sunday. This was so helpful. We were able to load up the kids and car seats in various configurations, have the kids practice getting in and out, load it with gear, run some errands, test-run some regular trips and parking spots, etc. Actually, before we returned it we drove to a couple other dealers to test drive other cars for a side-by-side comparo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We have twin boys who just turned four. They LOVE the Acadia. We had a minivan and it was great when they were too little to get the doors open on their own and when we had to bring the double stroller everywhere.

The boys love that they have windows that open and cupholders in the doors they can reach and they love the sunroof. They get in and out fine but we do have to be careful in tight spaces to not let them fling the doors open. Solved that in the garage by nailing a couple of bathroom rugs on the wall so if the door hits it it won't scratch.

If they were a bit smaller we probably would have gotten the running boards for a step up and down but as it is we don't really need them now.

There is plenty of room in the back. We just got back from a 5 day trip with all our luggage and the dog back there and it did fine.

I would never go back to a minivan but sure wish we could hurry up and get rid of our Uplander.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 3 year old son has no problem getting in and out and he's on the small side compared to other kids his age. He can open and close all the doors by himself. My kids both love the DVD player. We have the 2nd row bench and haven't had to access the 3rd row yet (plus it stays down the majority of the time.) You can always get the running boards installed.

·
Registered
681 Posts
loach said:
oicu812 said:
No way on that point. Minivans make very efficient use of space and most of them have much more room behind the 3rd row and more leg room between the rows than the Acadia. For example - cargo space behind 3rd row:

Acadia: 19.7 cu. ft.
Sienna: 43.6
Odyssey: 38.4

That said, the Acadia has more cargo space behind the 3rd row of any crossover, so I feel it's the best compromise if you really don't want a van.
When I first read this I did not believe it, my sister has a Sienna and I did not think it had that much more capacity behind the third row, I went to Toyota web site and confirmed these figues, I cannot believe it. Not only does the Acadia have more cargo space behind the 3rd row than any other crossover it has more than the full size Yukon/Tahoes. I forgot that the Sienna has a deep well behind the 3rd row, this must account for the additional capacity

My 3 year old can get in by really climbing (grabbing the seat and on his knees) but most of the time I give him a boost as I do not him to fall back, he has no problem getting out, just jumps down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am in the same boat... I am looking at either an Acadia/Enclave AWD (SLT2/CXL) or Toyota Sienna XLE Limited AWD. I have a 2 year old and a 4 week old and thus two car seats to deal with. I want a third row for hauling the grandparents when they visit and so I also need a center isle walk-through on the second row seats. The vehicle would be replacing my Audi A6 2.7T 6sp Sport so I want to get something that has "all the buttons" and is somewhat upscale/refined. (I got rid of my M Roadster when baby #1 arrived.) It will get about >20k miles/year on it with lots of short trips around town plus many major trips up/down the east coast and to Kansas.

The pros, as I see it, for the Sienna are the sliding doors (I can just see my kids banging other cars with the Acadia's doors), Bluetooth, deep storage behind the third row, and a vehicle platform that has been around for 3+ years (and hopefully most of the kinks are worked out). I've rented the Sienna before and it is a great family hauler.

The cons for the Sienna are, well, it's a minivan and lacks any kind of styling or pizazz. Even with all the gadgets, I don't know how comfortable I would be driving an "egg". The Toyota dealer is across town and would make service inconvenient (the GMC/Buick dealer is 2 minutes from my house).

Looking at incentives, rebates, and dealer's willingness to negotiate, the Sienna would be about $2k lower. However, the Sienna does not depreciate as rapidly as the Acadia according to lease residuals and Edmund's data.

So I am looking real hard at this thread and seeing what others have to say....

·
Registered
681 Posts
If you do not want the kids to hit things with the rear doors, just set the DIC Auto Unlock feature to not include the rear doors, then you can get out and control the opening of their doors or just set the child locks so the inside door handles will not work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I currently own a Mazda MPV - not the biggest of mini-vans that we're looking to replace. While it appears as though we're waiting for an Acadia order, the 2nd place vehicle was an Odd**sey. Yes, the 2nd place car had more cargo room behind the 3rd row. It also got slightly better mileage, and was slightly cheaper. So why an Acadia?

3rd row room - we thought the combined space of the 2nd and 3rd rows in the Acadia was better. We occasionally need to put full-grown adults in the 3rd row, so that's a big deal. 3rd row access. The Acadia's flip forward seats makes it MUCH easier to actually get into the 3rd row. Seating for 8 - the Odd**sey technically has a center seat in the 2nd row, but _I_ wouldn't want to sit there. We thought the Acadia second row (bench seat) was more useful. Lastly, no black leather interior in that other car unless you step up to the Touring model - dark gray was the best they could do, but you could only get the dark gray with silver, slate green, or blue exteriors. The color combos weren't what we were looking for. We really like the ebony interior of the Acadia.

BUT, if you're looking for a lot of utility and the space behind the 3rd row is really important, you can't beat a mini-van. Things like tires and insurance will be less expensive, on top of a slightly lower purchase price, equally equipped. Handling may not be as good - not that you'll be taking either vehicle to the track (other than to carry tires). A lot of people love their Odd**sey for good reason - but a lot of people love their Acadias, too.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either vehicle, it's just a matter of what's important to you.

YMMV.

DBinMV

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I need to say something about insurance. My insurance actually did not go up that much at all. I would be surprised if it was more than a minivan. I would think they are comparable. State Farm calls it a "sport wagon" and at $5,000 more and three years younger, my Acadia costs less than my husbands G-35 Infinity.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My insurance did go up over my Chevy minivan, the Acadia is a pricier vehicle and more $$$ to repair. It's not a huge difference but it is more although a 2 yr newer vehicle.

When we have grandparents we have been putting the boys in the 3rd row and grandma and grandpa in the captains chairs. My boys are big enough to buckle and unbuckle themselves so it works ok. They love it back there and would sit there all the time if we let them. It doesn't work as well for day to day when I need to hand them things.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts