GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and kid took a trip this weekend to do some shopping. Since she drives the Acadia 90%+ of the time I decided to drive it. Wanted to track mileage because she never does and the average economy is usually around 18-18.5. Have been kind of disapointed in that so I thought I'd track it. Heading out for the first 200 miles it got right at 24.5 mpg. All highway no wind/hills (I live in Kansas). So that was great I thought. Never seen it that high. About 100 miles of town driving and another 200 or so miles back home bucking a pretty good wind and the average economy was 21.2 computer calculated. I checked that against my hand calcs and it was pretty close to the same thing. So all in all I'm pretty happy with that. Do the engines start getting a little better mileage as they get broke in? Our's has 18,000 on it now. May have been a fluke, maybe had good gas, the temp's were mild, I don't know, but that's significantly better than it had been getting. Maybe my wife has a lead foot! When we bought this last year I really wanted the Yukon (mainly because of the huge rebates offered) but she wanted the Acadia. So far I've been impressed with it, but still perfer a larger vehicle. With the mileage it had been averaging I was let down from what the sticker had claimed. But if I can get 24 on the highway again I'll be pretty happy. The only thing I really don't care for is the constant shifting from 6th to 5th with almost any type of incline. It drives me nuts.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
The gearing on 6th is 0.74 so any kind of incline will almost make it shift down at highway speeds (70+). Fuel economy drove this 6th gear and ratio (IMO).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little concerned with the longevity of the tranny with this much shifting. I'm sure it's on alot of peoples minds. I'm fortunate I guess that I live where it is so flat. I can't imagine living in Rockies and leaving it in regular drive. You're right, to me the 6th gear is there to claim the 24 mpg on the sticker. Should've just stuck with a 5-speed given this is only a V-6. However, I'm actually impressed with the passing power it has when you romp on it. It will get up and go when needed. Of course 6400 rpm doesn't hurt either.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Doodle said:
I'm a little concerned with the longevity of the tranny with this much shifting. I'm sure it's on alot of peoples minds. I'm fortunate I guess that I live where it is so flat. I can't imagine living in Rockies and leaving it in regular drive. You're right, to me the 6th gear is there to claim the 24 mpg on the sticker. Should've just stuck with a 5-speed given this is only a V-6. However, I'm actually impressed with the passing power it has when you romp on it. It will get up and go when needed. Of course 6400 rpm doesn't hurt either.
You can always select L5 and leave it there; at 70 mph it should be turning around 2100 RPM; you might take a small hit on the MPG, but that would eliminate the excess shifting

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I took our Acadia on a 300 mile trip into Connecticut mountains this past weekend- up and down and still averaged 24 MPG on the highway. Question - how do you manually keep it in 5?

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Put the shifter in L and select the number 5 with the selector

·
Registered
533 Posts
mikemu said:
I took our Acadia on a 300 mile trip into Connecticut mountains this past weekend- up and down and still averaged 24 MPG on the highway. Question - how do you manually keep it in 5?
mikemu,

Technically, this won't "keep" it in 5th gear. But, it will limit the transmission to 1 thru 5, and effectively block 6th from being used. If you shifted into L & selected 4, you would no longer be using 5th or 6th. It's a great feature for either towing, or driving hills & other areas where you might be happier limiting the shifting.

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Smooth said:
mikemu,

Technically, this won't "keep" it in 5th gear. But, it will limit the transmission to 1 thru 5, and effectively block 6th from being used. If you shifted into L & selected 4, you would no longer be using 5th or 6th. It's a great feature for either towing, or driving hills & other areas where you might be happier limiting the shifting.

Smooth [/color] <><
You're right; whatever gear you select the trans will shift up and down but won't go higher than the gear selected

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
how the heck did this thread get from fuel economy on a recent trip back to the old (very old) topic of shifting?

Let's see, I bought 2 burgers and fries at a drive through - paid $4.50 - and the darned vehicle shifted seven times before I left the parking lot!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Doodle said:
I don't think fuel economy drove the 6th gear, that OD ratio is not much differant from any transmission with an OD gear, whether that be a 4spd or 5spd. The extra gearing is prior to the 1:1 straigh drive ratio, which means that extra gear was put in there to keep the engine at a more optimal point on its power band as it accelerates up through the gears, makes for a smoother more powerful drive. It may help some w/ city economy but would have little impact on overal highway economy over what you could have gotten w/ a 5spd or even a 4spd.

That being said, I too feel it is to quick to downshift or release the torque converter. I guess this is why the automakers always have to compromise. The 07/08 guys thought their transmissions held on too long, some of us feel the 09's down hold on long enough. It would be nice if they made the programming of the transmission something the driver could adjust.

·
Registered
250 Posts
jsimms said:
You're right; whatever gear you select the trans will shift up and down but won't go higher than the gear selected
so, putting it on 'D' is the same as putting it on 'L' and selecting '6'?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yes, "L"" with "6" is the same as Drive... all 6 gears being utilized.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
tm59 said:
Yes, "L"" with "6" is the same as Drive... all 6 gears being utilized.
Almost the same. If you are in L6 then the transmission will not automatically downshift to assist braking. (i.e. When you are coming down a grade and you are riding the brakes a little, the computer will downshift for you so you don't need to be using the brakes.)

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
GAR said:
Almost the same. If you are in L6 then the transmission will not automatically downshift to assist braking. (i.e. When you are coming down a grade and you are riding the brakes a little, the computer will downshift for you so you don't need to be using the brakes.)
Good point GAR; that feature gets overlooked

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
That downshift is annoying. I'm completely capable of applying the brakes myself. Thought there was something worng the first few times I noticed that.

·
Super Moderator
22,405 Posts
I had forgotten all about that auto-downshift feature. I usually downshift the trans myself. Probably from force of habit created by driving in extreme mountain conditions and in heavier vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts