GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2008 Acadia is really nice, however, it is doing worse on mileage (city- ~14) than our yukon. How long does it take to get improved mileage?

·
Registered
264 Posts
It should improve by 3000 to 4000 miles. Mine did around 4000.

·
Registered
362 Posts
garco 57 said:
It should improve by 3000 to 4000 miles. Mine did around 4000.
That's good to know. Ours (AWD) is getting about 14.5, all city.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Our '07, AWD, with 8K miles on it gets around 16.5 city, my wife doing all short trips. We've accepted that and do not think it will get much better. On a postive side, she loves it and we have had one issue, a check engine light at 1k where they replaced the ECM. I also just had the trans reflash done, so we are very happy with it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Old Timer,

What's your guess as to percentage of city versus highway, as far as the miles you've driven? If it's mostly in-town, 17 mpg isn't all that bad for a brand-new Acadia. All highway driving should be somewhere in the mid-20's, once you get past breaking in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
395 Posts
After almost 10,000 miles, my overall average is just over 18 (SLE, so calculated manually at fill ups). I've found mixing in any city driving will really skew the numbers to the low end. My best so far on a long 100% highway trip is about 22 mpg. This is probably the best I can reasonably expect since I live in an area with exclusively 10% ethanol gas and 70 mph posted highway speeds. These two things alone should reduce mpg by up to 20% or so, so 22 mpg isn't bad. I don't expect to ever see 26 mpg but I wish I could do better than 18 average, considering probably more than half of that is highway miles.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just filled up and I got 17 mpg (calculated manually) on my SLE FWD. I have 565 miles on my vehicle. This was for basically city driving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just returned from a trip to Disneyland and averaged about 19mpg according to the DIC. We had 2 adults, 2 children and lots of luggage in our AWD SLT2 and never drove under 70 on Hwy 5 going and mostly 80 on the way home.

·
Registered
524 Posts
It will!!! Re set the DIC after your next fill up. You should see quite an improvement after about 1000 miles. Mine went up about 4 mpg maybe 5

Old Timer said:
I just logged my first 198 miles on the Acadia. My total average between city & highway was 17 MPH. I hope it improves.

Pat

·
Registered
662 Posts
It will get better... After the 4000 mile mark my 80% highway (with hills) went up to 22-23 mpg D.I.C. (about 1 mpg or so less when calculated). When I drive it around town more, say 50 - 50, I'm around 19 mpg DIC. I am very happy with those numbers, as compared to the '04 Suburban I traded in for the Acadia. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
We have less than 500 miles on the Acadia. I averaged 17.9 first 1/2 tank with some highway driving. The second fill up I averaged only 14.7 mainly in town with the wife driving the car. I am a little diappointed so far with the mileage. My old 96 Jimmy did better than this in town.

Pat

·
Registered
43 Posts
Our Acadia has 400 miles on it, the first 200 we averaged 23.1 all interstate traveling at 70 mph, the other 200 was all city (stop n go), today was the first fill up at exactly 400 miles we averaged 18.7. I'm hoping with mixed driving we will consistently get 20 mpg. Only time will tell. We drive maybe 25 miles a day so, I'm not too concerned about MPGs. The many PLUSES, make-up for the low MPGs. You have to remember your not driving a small tin can like the CR-V, you are driving a well built, people mover with power (compared).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Today i went to my dealership to complain about MPG. The biggest concern I have a rush hour MPG. I think i have about 15 or even lower numbers MPG.( i don't have DIC). I'm in northern va and it gets not really cold but anyway mpg should llittle bit better.
Any way, the guy at dealership (manager) told me that GM is recommending (for Acadia, Outlook, Enclave) wait for 2,500 to 5000 miles mark to achieve real MPG. He confirmed, that a lot of customers have came back with same problem. If update has been done just wait for 2500 to 5000 miles mark.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
vad1819 said:
Today i went to my dealership to complain about MPG. The biggest concern I have a rush hour MPG. I think i have about 15 or even lower numbers MPG.( i don't have DIC). I'm in northern va and it gets not really cold but anyway mpg should llittle bit better.
Any way, the guy at dealership (manager) told me that GM is recommending (for Acadia, Outlook, Enclave) wait for 2,500 to 5000 miles mark to achieve real MPG. He confirmed, that a lot of customers have came back with same problem. If update has been done just wait for 2500 to 5000 miles mark.
If you live in an area the has reformulated gas and or with 10% Ethenol, expect 2-3 mpg less right off the bat! . With temps 40 degrees and lesssor, expect another 2-4 mile drop in mpg and more around town. Colder the temp, lessor the mpg. Don't want a lead foot in colder temps, as mpg gets even worse!
Ethenol in your gas is the worst and lucky in our area, we have stations that don't have the stuff. Law in Wisconsin is that gas stations must put 10% Ethenol sticker on the pump if that is the type of gasoline they are supplying. Most of our state is NOT mandated with this 10% Ethenol and reformulated for winter and summer months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
teetertotter said:
vad1819 said:
If you live in an area the has reformulated gas and or with 10% Ethanol, expect 2-3 mpg less right off the bat! . With temps 40 degrees and lesssor, expect another 2-4 mile drop in mpg and more around town. Colder the temp, lessor the mpg. Don't want a lead foot in colder temps, as mpg gets even worse!
Ethenol in your gas is the worst and lucky in our area, we have stations that don't have the stuff. Law in Wisconsin is that gas stations must put 10% Ethenol sticker on the pump if that is the type of gasoline they are supplying. Most of our state is NOT mandated with this 10% Ethenol and reformulated for winter and summer months.
All right, may be you right. I have FWD Acadia 1300 miles. I did 250 miles and filled a tank with 17 gal. which is coming 14.7 MPG. I live in Northern VA. It most time I use a Costco gas station. Has anyone know what is fuel costco selling? (10% Ethanol,)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I'm not sure what Costco sells, but I do know that the manual says you should only use "Top Tier" gas. I looked at the list of Top Tier gas and saw Shell on it, so I tried a few tanks. I did not see a difference, but then again, I was using Exxon before that, and perhaps Exxon gas is just as good as Shell and for some reason just is not on the Top Tier list.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I checked with my local Costco store about a gas. They did confirmed that gas contained 10% ETNANOL.
thanks for Top tier info. I will fill with it next fueling.

·
Registered
112 Posts
"Update for MPG. I got little more for this week. It came about 15.8- 16.25 (last week 14.5-14.7) per gallon. I have about 1600 miles. The driving condition same , heavy traffic - stop and go (11 miles one way) to and from work. But all gas station around my area caring fuel with up to 10% Ethanol." - 12/22/07

1 - 20 of 21 Posts