GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2010 GMC Acadia with 140,000 miles:

The wife was driving the car home today when it lost power and she had to pull off the road. She thought she might of also smelled something burnt and saw smoke. When I got there she had restarted the engine and it was running fine. The shift leaver moves normally but there is no engaging of the transmission or movement. I had the vehicle towed and now it sits at a local garage until tomorrow. I had no previous problems with the transmission except the odd bit of slippage starting off on a hill which was extremely rare.

Guessing this is a wave plate failure or some other form of expensive transmission problem?

The vehicle is also throwing the dreaded P0008 every few days but was running fine until today. I was going to start shopping around tomorrow for prices to replace the timing chain. This vehicle also has issues with ABS and Airbag light on that nobody has been able to diagnose (no codes).

Given the likelihood of an expensive transmission repair followed by an expensive timing chain repair I am likely going have this vehicle towed to the nearest junkyard. The vehicle is long paid off and maybe it's a good thing this happened now instead of after a Timing Chain Belt.

Thanks in advance for any advice and hope you all had a good Christmas.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I like your idea of towing to junk yard and selling for junk. A vehicle that old with that many miles is ready to have its materials recycled. Last I knew iron was worth about 10 to 11 cents per pound. Items like starters and alternators with copper windings worth more.

George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fixed for $200, line to transmission cooler broke. There was a lot of burnt smell and the garage warned me that even though it runs perfect now there might of been damage done. Was quoted $2700 CDN plus tax for timing chain, labour, valve pan gaskets at our local GM who is the only dealership in our area that does that. $200 just to look at ABS light and Airbag light on to tell us what the problem is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts