GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to have windows tinted with a metallic or ceramic film. The metallic tint keeps out the heat 98% and the ceramic 80%. Living in Phoenix, AZ window tint is a must. Have read some other forums and Metallic tint can affect GPS and mobile phone connectivity. Will probably go with ceramic since have not read no ill effects but would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with metallic tint and if it has affect their GPS or cellphone connectivity.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Based on the following caution statement from the Navigation system manual, GM doesn't want you applying any window tint. I think metallic film would definitely be a problem. I also don't know exactly where the GPS antenna is located.

Notice: Do not apply after-market glass tinting
to the vehicle’s windows. Glass tinting will
interfere with the system’s ability to receive
GPS signals and cause the system to
malfunction. You might have to replace the
window to correct the problem. This would
not be covered by your warranty.

I was told by an installer that the metallic film will definitely degrade cell signals and I didn't get it on a previous vehicle because of that. It might depend on how strong your cell coverage is. Onstar uses the integrated rooftop antenna for its cell signal.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The factory GPS and OnStar antennas are on the roof. It's the same antenna for the radio, XM, factory GPS, and OnStar. But, regular cellphone signals and portable GPS signals may suffer inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
jonv112 said:
The factory GPS and OnStar antennas are on the roof. It's the same antenna for the radio, XM, factory GPS, and OnStar. But, regular cellphone signals and portable GPS signals may suffer inside the vehicle.
If the GPS antenna is on the roof, why the comment in the manual about not tinting the windows?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Snoguy said:
jonv112 said:
If the GPS antenna is on the roof, why the comment in the manual about not tinting the windows?
I would have thought so too. I believe the Onstar "GPS" is on the roof (I don't think it is actually GPS but some type of radio triangulation system) but based on the threads where people have installed the factory NAV radio, the gps antenna for that is in the dash.

The factory antenna is described as "quad band" meaning AM/FM/XM/Cell(OnStar). I don't think it includes a true satellite GPS.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would just check with the service department as to where the Diversity atennae is located. If it is located in the roof or the seam of the front window you will be good to go other wise probably go with a non-metallic tint.

Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you have HUD and are planning to tint the windshield itself, you'll need to consider the negative effect this may have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts