GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI -

We ordered our Acadia and inquired about the new color "Platinum Ice" which was supposed to come in Jan '08. I got this response from our contact at GM:

"I got confirmation that Platinum Ice is not an available exterior color. It was supposed to replace White Diamond In January '08 but that has been canceled as it was determined White Diamond was still better. White Diamond is a very popular color and I hope you will be very happy with it."

I saw postings on here saying that Platinum Ice was coming and that White Diamond is leaving. Just thought I'd share this latest information. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone had to have body work on a White Diamond Acadia.
The body shop cant seem to match my paint correctly.....looks like a standard white paint job. :mad:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The White Diamond is a tri-coat paint that has a base coat, and 2nd coat, and the the clear coat pulls the two together visually. If the body shop does not follow the same 3 step process, they will be unlikely to ever get it to look the same. I would recommend going to a GM shop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Gar is absolutely right.

White Diamond costs more because it is a tri-coat. It has an extra coat of paint between the base coat and the clear coat. The extra coat of paint has metal partials in it to reflect the light in a certain way giving it that thick look.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had an 02 Olds Bravada with the Red Jewel Tricoat. I had to have the side repaired and the first time they painted it, they didn't do the tri coat and you could really tell the difference. The do over was much better and matched almost perfect. It sure sounds as if they're missing a step.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anyone ever have this color repaired? They are trying to fix a chip in the door and it looks like crap! There is a football sized paint repair where they tried to blend it in, But it so obvious I had to refuse it :eek:hno: Is this color that hard to blend or are these guys idiots?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Larry GTO said:
Anyone ever have this color repaired? They are trying to fix a chip in the door and it looks like crap! There is a football sized paint repair where they tried to blend it in, But it so obvious I had to refuse it :eek:hno: Is this color that hard to blend or are these guys idiots?
The White Diamond is a tri-coat that requires 3 coats of paint. The first coat is a base color. The 2nd coat is the metallic stuff. The 3rd coat is a clear that blends the two together. The Tri-coat paints are very hard to touch up.

Read the Are Tri-Coat colors available? from this site. http://drcolorchip.com/chip-repair-questions.html

There is a reason the Tri-Coat paint has a premium price. It is really hard to paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts