GMC Acadia Forum banner

53k miles seems very early for a well maintained Acadia to have the Water Pump crap out

• No problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • <10 k miles when I replaced mine

• <25 k miles when I replaced mine

• <50 k miles when I replaced mine

• <75 k miles when I replaced mine

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2007 SLT 2 really love it. Had antifreeze puddle on garage floor. Took it to dealer they put in a dye that is activated by a BLACK LIGHT discovered a leaking water pump.. 38742 miles they are going to repair it it is an all day job!!!!

Keep a wathful eye mine is the only one they have seen!!!!

DENNY

Several different Water Pump replacement and leaking topics merged together. Recent poll that was posted on a new topic was merged into this.

bonk1313[/color]

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: Leaking Water pump

Denny said:
Got a 2007 SLT 2 really love it. Had antifreeze puddle on garage floor. Took it to dealer they put in a dye that is activated by a BLACK LIGHT discovered a leaking water pump.. 38742 miles they are going to repair it it is an all day job!!!!

Keep a wathful eye mine is the only one they have seen!!!!

DENNY
I think you are the first to have a leaking water pump; congrats? Is the pump cracked or leaking?

·
Registered
635 Posts

3 weeks ago my Outlook lost the water pump at 20,000. They (Saturn of Lubbock) did not have one, ordered one, came in defective, ordered another one. Took 7 working days to fix.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Wow that's really early for a water pump to fail; great I have 31K on the odometer

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

khansen30 said:
3 weeks ago my Outlook lost the water pump at 20,000. They (Saturn of Lubbock) did not have one, ordered one, came in defective, ordered another one. Took 7 working days to fix.
Was this a warranty repair or that considered a "wear item" and not covered?

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts

That same thing happened on my '91 Regal 3800 at 35,000 mi. and again at 82,000 mi. I told the service writer that I'm going through water pumps faster than brakes! He laughed but agreed after my record showed the first front brake job at 62,000. Lucky for me, the General (GM) took care of the second water pump for $100 deductible.

·
Registered
635 Posts

MedicRxDoc said:
Was this a warranty repair or that considered a "wear item" and not covered?
It was covered under warranty. The Saturn dealership had to read up on how to do one because they had not done one on a Lambda yet, which I think is the case with the GMC dealer I am now using. They are expected to last longer than 20 and even 31 K.

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts

khansen30 said:
It was covered under warranty. The Saturn dealership had to read up on how to do one because they had not done one on a Lambda yet, which I think is the case with the GMC dealer I am now using. They are expected to last longer than 20 and even 31 K.
Good show, old Chap!! Water pumps sometimes last 100k miles or more if you take care of the cooling system.

·
Registered
635 Posts

speleos said:
Good show, old Chap!! Water pumps sometimes last 100k miles or more if you take care of the cooling system.
Where in Maryland are you from? My wife grew up in Beltsville and went to Riverdale Baptist school. Her father was a police officer for PGC.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

So what was wrong with the pump; did anyone say?

·
Super Moderator
21,788 Posts

jsimms, most of the time a water pump fails at the seal. The seal might be improperly installed, or weak and can't take the cooling system pressure. Failure of the seal can be a slow drip over time to a catastrophic release of steam. I had each end of this scale happen to my Regal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Water pump

Dealership says tey repalced water pump today but when i get home and look under the hood, even the top raiaotro clamp has same sut. No smudges or greasy marks, no bolts nurled or anything. Where is the water pump and exactly how is this item replaced? :angryfire:

The first clue was that it took all day - which is fine as an idicator it is a big job. But when I raised the hood tonight I find the beauty cover is completely missing. That's the first indication the mechanic did a half***ed job. So being as my Dad was a emchanic for 35 years I begn to check the rest of the work. To my surprise i cannot see anywhere where coolant may have splashed when the pump was removed and replaced. There are NO fingerprints or dusty smudges as one might expect. And to top it all off I cannto find anyway a human could replace this water pump without touching anything (wiring harness are still dusty wit NO sudges ro anything). What bothers me is that the coolant overflow tank is now filled up but I cannot find one clue anyne has touched this vehicle other than to remove the engine cover and not put it back. Most troublesome is that it is within 2000 mile sif warranty experiation. I am just concerned they did nothing other than to fill the coolantr overflow tank and hope it fails OUT of warranty. Your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: Water pump

Welcome to the forum.

First suggestion is to try Mozilla Firefox for easier and more accurate typing, it's free and works wonders for me (I do a lot of right-clicking when I post here since I am a two finger hunt & peck typist):
Get Firefox

Next, here's an illustration of the 2010 Camaro LLT motor, same basic motor as the 2009 Acadia (huge file, so click the link):
2010 LLT cutaway

Caddy version:

Water pump looks to be in the front center of the motor.

Here's some pics of the replacement pump courtesy of Rock Auto:

Did you request to see the old part? Most states require this as an option to prevent what you are afraid of from taking place. I'd address your concerns with the service manager.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Re: Water pump

Maybe they did it from underneath? With it being high up on a lift that may be the best access to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Noticed antifreeze under my Enclave on Friday night. Opened the hood and the coolant reservoir was empty. It sat idle all weekend. I filled up the reservoir with Dexcool and I brought it into my dealer this morning. They replaced the water pump. They said it should take about 30 minutes or so to replace. It actually took them more than 90 minutes to replace it. They also said it was the first time they replaced it on an Enclave. It has just over 25000 miles on it and is just over 2 years old.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

zebra26 said:
Noticed antifreeze under my Enclave on Friday night. Opened the hood and the coolant reservoir was empty. It sat idle all weekend. I filled up the reservoir with Dexcool and I brought it into my dealer this morning. They replaced the water pump. They said it should take about 30 minutes or so to replace. It actually took them more than 90 minutes to replace it. They also said it was the first time they replaced it on an Enclave. It has just over 25000 miles on it and is just over 2 years old.
Nice mileage for an 08 :thumb:

Did your dealership list the exact problem with the pump on the paperwork i.e. cracked, faulty etc ?

BTW~ your signature line says ordered 12/07 and picked up 2/07; I'm guessing that should be picked up 2/08?

·
Registered
119 Posts

Just got mine back from the shop on Friday from water pump replacement. Cracked. Slow coolant leak. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Oops 20,000 miles almost to the dot.

·
Registered
42 Posts

The water pump on the 3.6 is actually pretty easy to get to and change out. Miraculously, the engineers actually seem to have taken into account that it is a serviceable item on these cars.

I just changed one on my wife's '05 CTS with the 3.6, and it only takes about 20 minutes to get the pump off and replaced. Of course, it took over an hour to get the coolant drained thanks to the all of the plastic clips on the lower shroud, and then about 45 minutes to refill the system that has no true radiator cap, and then another hour to clean up all of the antifreeze that I dumped in my garage... Still easier than most of the water pumps I've changed.

Part cost was reasonable too, at only around $100.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Just bought used 2007 Acadia SLT-2 early Feb, with 44K miles on it. I am 3rd private owner (excluding dealerships)

I just noticed late last week, that there was coolant under vehicle the 1 day I drove it to work (this is my wife's vehicle, but I try to drive it occasionally just for this purpose of noticing things). Well, I took it into the GMC dealership afterhours last night, and sure enough this morning they said I had a leaky water pump. Just called them and the entire engine is pulled as they noticed that there was also an oil leak as well coming from somewhere other than the oil pan. I wish I could go down to dealership just to see the engine pulled. All of this falls under powertrain warranty.

Trying to shmooze some electrical schematic from my service advisor Heidi. Whom I 've never met, since I did an after-hours drop-off last night. I want schematics for another reason altogether.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts