GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started by '07 Acadia last night to run some errands and I heard a new/strange sound immediately after it started. When I returned home about an hour or so later the car sounded different that I had ever heard it before. I could tell that it was coming from the passenger side of the motor way down low.

Today I went out to take a better look since it was too dark last night. I started the car up and it seemed okay at first, then I started troubleshooting with the heater controls as I had them on last night. In normal heat mode all seemed fine, but I put it to defrost and I got what sounded like a loose belt squeal immediately. It stopped but would squeal intermittently for only a brief second here and there. Then it went away for good. I got down on my stomach to take a look only to see that the belts are all exposed(ie. no plastic cover to protect them), and I could see they were all wet from the recent weather. One of the pulleys would have what seemed to be 2 parts...1 that was an inner grooved pulley that spun with the belt, and the 2nd was on the outer side of that pulley, which sometimes moved and sometimes stayed stationary. Upon starting and stopping, the outer pulley would make a loud click. I also heard a noise that got progessively louder in a few seconds of time, then die back down. It reminded me of the noise your CPU makes when it is working hard. I lifted the hood and heard a noise like air escaping, but not too loudly. If I turned off the defrost and went to just heat, or nothing at all, the outer pulley never moved and all other noises except the air escaping sound stopped.

Okay sorry so long, always hard to put noises into words for others to understand.

My questions are:
1. Does the defrost function appear to be working properly based on the description above? ie. pulley starting and stopping?
2. Is the air escaping noise normal, perhaps I just never noticed before?
3. Do I need to worry about the belts being loose if I only heard the squealy noise with the defrost, and then it went away?
4. Doesn't it seem odd that GM did not put a cover of some sort over the belts to protect them from being sliced from road debris, or from getting loose from rain/snow/etc..?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Belts, noise, and windshield defroster---is this correct?

I believe the air conditioner runs in the defrost mode, but not the heat mode, to remove moisture from the air. The clicking was probably the air conditioner cycling on/off. I assume you never heard this squeal when using the air conditioner in hot weather? This squeal could also be a bad bearing in a serpentine belt pulley or the air conditioner. Even if a belt is slipping, it is probable not seriously loose. Sometimes things like this appear and disappear, but if it keeps up you should have it checked.

·
Registered
264 Posts

You are correct about the airconditioner running that was the clidking noise and the part that turned and stopped, and old auto's never had any cover for the belts. On most front wheel drive with the engine sideways their is no room for a cover.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Wow, ok that's VERY strange because I noticed exactly the same issue today. The car was started and idling, and my wife said I should come out and hear something...and it was buzzing as though there was a loose plastic part. It actually seemed to be triggered by the REAR defrost too, for whatever reason!??

Is there a significant electrical draw that would buzz so badly?

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have been hearing this same noise also. It only happens when the defrost is on and raining.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I just had the same noise issue as well but I also got charging system check light and my electrical system started shutting down (heavy rain at 2:00am in morning). When I turned the AC/heat off I at least had enough power to keep lights on. Took to dealer next day and found out there is a TSB to install more splash sheilds. TSB is 07-02-32-010. Hopefully this will take care of belt noise but not so sure about electrical problem. We drove in very heavy rain for over 3 hours before this started.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

branham01 said:
I just had the same noise issue as well but I also got charging system check light and my electrical system started shutting down (heavy rain at 2:00am in morning). When I turned the AC/heat off I at least had enough power to keep lights on. Took to dealer next day and found out there is a TSB to install more splash sheilds. TSB is 07-02-32-010. Hopefully this will take care of belt noise but not so sure about electrical problem. We drove in very heavy rain for over 3 hours before this started.
Thank you for the information, branham01! Will get ours done next week for preventitive measures even though have not experienced this condition.

·
Registered
812 Posts

:ditto: will do the same!!! a million thanks!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts

I just experienced the result of not having TSB 07-02-32-010 applied to my 2007 Acadia. We had a major snow storm last Saturday. I was on my way home thru the storm when I lost power steering, and electrical system started to discharge. I was able to get the Acadia home and contacted GM via OnStar. They dispatched RoadSide Assistance and had to tow the car to the dealer. The serpentine belt came off! The dealer found that the front lower shields are not in place and water gets up into the engine compartment. They replaced the belt and installed the shields per the TSB. Don't wait until you get caught in a rain or snow storm. Get to the dealer and get the shields installed ASAP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have gotten a few incidents of loss of steering. It only happens when it is raining and the front right tire goes through a deep puddle. The power steering goes for a few seconds and then recovers. It almost feels like a stall but the engine stays running.

Anyone else get this?
Oh yeah

2007 SLT 2 White Diamond.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Re: Momentary Loss of Steering

gardnersf said:
We have gotten a few incidents of loss of steering. It only happens when it is raining and the front right tire goes through a deep puddle. The power steering goes for a few seconds and then recovers. It almost feels like a stall but the engine stays running.

Anyone else get this?
Oh yeah

2007 SLT 2 White Diamond.
It hasn't happened to me, but the belt that drives the power steering pump is on the right side of the engine and if it gets some excess water splashed on it, the belt could momentarily slip and cause this problem.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

There is a TSB 07-02-32-010 for installation of splash shields that were missing on some of the cars. I think it keeps water from splashing up in the engine compartment. This may be what you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I have an 07 SLT-2 with 12,800 miles on it. I have noticed when driving on the highway twice I felt like my power steering had been lost for a few seconds. Both times it was raining out. I called the my dealer and they said it sounds like a loose belt thats slipping when wet.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I had this happen to me on the highway with my kids in the car and it scared the heck out of me. I called the dealer and they thought it was a wet or slipped belt but when they checked they found that my alternator needed to be replaced! I would have that checked.

·
Registered
185 Posts

I have experienced this problem almost everytime it rains. I actually have my Acadia in today to have the proper part installed. Of course this is the third visit with the first being the obligatory visit where they tell me that nothing is wrong and I'm just a whiny customer. The second they finally find the problem but don't have the part and the third where they install the part but manage to break something else in the process.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Well I brought my 07 Slt-2 in for this problem. The dealer said they had a update for this problem and they installed longer wheel well liners to prevent water from getting into the area. Well it rained the next day and I drove though a puddle and guess what .........SAME THING HAPPENED only this time I was turning a corner when I loss my steering almost resulting in an accident. I called the dealer again and they said to bring it in again. Well what a waste of time. All they said was we called GM for any other updates and they checked the belt and pulley and everything looked fine. I will be calling GM Customer Service to lodge a complaint.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Splash shields for serpentine belt

I have a question for anybody who had TSB 07-02-32-010 for the serpentine belt shields being installed. Did it make a difference?

We had a lot of rain (go figure, April showers) and there was some standing water. I was on the phone and heard the belt squeeling, but didn't notice and change in performance. I am probably going to have the dealer check this out, but was just making sure that it worked to help prevent this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: Splash shields for serpentine belt

MedicRxDoc said:
I have a question for anybody who had TSB 07-02-32-010 for the serpentine belt shields being installed. Did it make a difference?

We had a lot of rain (go figure, April showers) and there was some standing water. I was on the phone and heard the belt squeeling, but didn't notice and change in performance. I am probably going to have the dealer check this out, but was just making sure that it worked to help prevent this issue.
Yet another new TSB (to me anyway) that I wasn't aware of; is the shield installed to protect you from getting your hand ripped off or from the belt coming apart and damaging something?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

jsimms said:
Yet another new TSB (to me anyway) that I wasn't aware of; is the shield installed to protect you from getting your hand ripped off or from the belt coming apart and damaging something?
IIRC, because of where the belt is located if you drive through some deep water the belt can get wet and slip causing a temporary drop in the power assist from the power steering pump. I've never experienced this, but there's a thread somewhere about it.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

MedicRxDoc said:

TOPIC MERGED [/color]
I merged this thread to the other discussion. Maybe some members that got this fixed can come back and tell us how things are going now.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts