GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm only on my fourth tank now with my new Acadia, but I have been using the DIC to track fuel usage. On the first two fill-ups the amount of fuel it took to fill the tank agreed with the "gallons used" to within 0.1 gallon. Today when I filled the tank, the DIC said I had used 17.6 gallons, but the pump went all the way to 19.2 gallons. This seems like a lot of difference, and makes me wonder if the gas station is cheating? Anyone know how accurate the DIC really is?

I've never had a vehicle that can track fuel usage so I haven't been suspicious before. How about if some of you reset the gallons used at each fill-up and post comparisons with the pump amount? Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: DIC accuracy vs. pump calibration - gas station cheating?

not all pumps click off at the exact same time. Also, if the pump were to shut off later, you could possibly be filling up the filler neck, possibly accounting for most of the 1.6 extra gallons.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I'm not sure if this will work, but I attempted to attach a file with a bunch of data comparing pump gallons and DIC mileage. The do vary fillup to fillup, but over time, they seem to average to almost exactly the same number.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts

There was a news story on TV here a week or so ago, talking about gas station pump inaccuracy.  The news channel even posted which stations give you the most gallons for your money.  Suffice it to say, not all stations give you 1 gallon when their pump reads 1 gallon.  Some are over, some are under.  I am pretty sure this information is supposed to be public record, so if you are concerned about the gas station cheating you, you might look for this information on some state website, or at least try filling up at another gas station and see how it does.

In case anyone wants to read about the story (related to W. Michigan gas pumps) here is the link: http://www.wwmt.com/news/every_1349821___article.html/gas_state.html

·
Registered
1,054 Posts

If you don't trust the gas station, show up one day wearing a lab coat holding a graduated cylinder, then leave an official looking form for the owner stating that a sampling has been taken to check the accuracy of the pump. It won't help resolve the problem but it would make a good YouTube video. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
trip odometer

Today I filled up with gas and according to my trip odometer I had 169.4 miles on it and it said my miledge was 16.7 amount of gas used was 9.8. If I divide 9.8 into 169.4 it comes out to about 17.2. Did not check the regular car odmeter just the trip one.If I multiply 16.7 times 9.8 it comes out to 163.66.In reality I put in 10.1 gallons of gas. Was wondering if anybody has verified if the trip odometer is accurate.Not a big deal but will check the car odometer against the trip odometer to see if they both give me the same results.Maybe the cars math is like mine a little shabby at times.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Re: trip odometer

The trip odometer is correct. The mpg, fuel used, miles remaining, are all estimates based on driving habits and engine performance. Most of the time they are very accurate.

·
Registered
113 Posts

dolee said:
Today I filled up with gas and according to my trip odometer I had 169.4 miles on it and it said my miledge was 16.7 amount of gas used was 9.8. If I divide 9.8 into 169.4 it comes out to about 17.2. Did not check the regular car odmeter just the trip one.If I multiply 16.7 times 9.8 it comes out to 163.66.In reality I put in 10.1 gallons of gas. Was wondering if anybody has verified if the trip odometer is accurate.Not a big deal but will check the car odometer against the trip odometer to see if they both give me the same results.Maybe the cars math is like mine a little shabby at times.
I check it at every fill-up. It's usually pretty close (within 1/2 mpg). I believe the spread is caused by the variances in how you top off the tank and whether I fill it or my wife does. Sometimes you fill it to where the the nozzle automatically clicks off or try to get as much fuel in as you can. I believe that's what causes the difference. Also if you check the "fuel used" in the DIC you can see a similar difference.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Thank for the info I sure appreicate it.I do know that usually I hand check it occasionally and almost all the time it comes out a wee bit higher than what the dic says which is good.I usually try to go to the same pump but yesterday I did go to a different one.Am very happy with the gas miledge but for what I drive its no big deal.It really is more car than me and the wife need as were older and retired but it sure was nice to go to the dump with some things and pickup a new shed for my backyard also a new tv and still have room leftover.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts