GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like this is how they work (link to PDF).

According to this, they use airflow from the rear AC unit. From what I've read, they are not activated by remote start, so this must mean remote start only activates the front AC for cabin cooling.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Delphi SAE Paper- Cooling with Augmented Heated and Cooled Seats

That would be a bummer as one of my favorite things is the fact that the rear AC cools along with the front AC when I remote start. This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where the 3rd row is as comfortable as the 1st on hot and/or cold days.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the update. Since that is the case, and if the Acadia uses the exact same system described in the paper, then they should be cooling if both AC units are on via the remote start.

We are going to test a black leather Escalade in stock with this option later this week. I will update after we do so & advise if the seats come on w/ remote start.

There is a saying about military or aviation in general, the planes are designed by people with PHds, flown by people with BA/BS degrees, and maintained by people with GEDs. After reading the credentials of the authors of that SAE paper, it looks like the GM product line is following in this mindset. I don't feel so bad about that extra $6K now, I'm sure those people don't come cheap :).

EDIT
Way to go buddy, you've pulled to within 15 ;):
Username Position Posts
GAR Acadia Freak 1064
Web Raven Acadia Freak 1079

Wish there was some way we could real time the stats of this epic battle :D.

·
Registered
130 Posts

Blue....
Good find...I would love to have these cooled seats....Based on that PDF, looks like there will be no retrofit or even an aftermarket upgrade possible.
Its great to know that it will be hooked up to the A/C...yeah they might not come on with the remote start, but they are A/C cooled.....+10

In BMW's, the seats are only ventilated like in the 3rd option in the PDF. they are not A/C cooled. A fan just circuates the cabin air. THEY SUCK!! Plus its like a $3,500 dollar option...You have to get the perferated extended leather, plus the active/comfort seats, then the cooling feature.(at least on the M5)..

Based on pricing GM offers this for under $1,000 plus you get A/C not just the ventalation.....$MONEY!!!

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I found it was a lot less expensive to buy an $800 Chevy Gen 3 V8 and put it into my BMW than to try & replace it with OEM stuff.

OK, not really, but that is what I told the wife...

·
Registered
72 Posts
About to order my 2009 Acadia. The car will be for moving the kids around and long trips. Leather is great for kids, is perforated leather good for kids? Is it going to get stuck with food? Is it hard to clean? The back seats will be stuck with car seats for the next couple of years, will it be a waste? Can you turn on cooling for the front seats only?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Cooled Seats

Hi There,

Just wanted to let you know every vehicle I ever owned has had leather seats. However when I bought my Acadia last week I wanted to keep my payment a little more manageable since I have another family vehicle to drive on the weekend so my buddy that is a designer at the GM Tech Center highly reccomended me to go with the cloth seats and I am so happy I did. Dont get me wrong I love leather but here in Michigan it takes time for the leather seats to warm up in the winter time and these new style cloth seats are just so comfortable it reminds me of sitting at home in a Lazy-Boy recliner when I am driving. I am anxious to see how these differ when the car is left outside during a very cold night. The new cloth is a tightly woven fabric that is very different than the cloth seats from years past or like the cloth currently used in the Envoy. I remember the days when I would smack the seat with my hand and a cloud of dust would come out of the seat but with the tightly woven fabric they dont seem to hold any dust. You will probably still order leather but have no concerns about the new cloth seats. I had the detail shop spray them with fabric protection and you can pour water on them and it just beads off. The down fall of the leather seats I have owned is that they show edge wear from getting in and out of the vehicle and the color rubs off to the bare leather after a few years. Good luck with the new crossover.
Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
How well do your cooled seats work?

2009 owners: How well do your cooled seats work? I test drove a 09 last night and they didn't seem to get as cold as I had hoped (especially the passenger seat).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Re: How well do your cooled seats work?

Mine seem to work just fine. Although the seat back is not set up to cool (only heat), the air from the very back of the seat cushion part of the seats (if that makes sense ?) does work its way up to your lower back, which feels good too.

The seats do have a slight vibration to them at times when the fan is on, but my wife doesn't seem to mind much. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: How well do your cooled seats work?

It is helpful in an issue such as this to post your location, either in your profile (click the Blues Clues link in my signature to see how to do this) or in your post. In this case, cooled seats in Miami, FL or Phoenix, AZ may be perceived differently than those in Chicago, IL or Canada.

Bseemore reported his worked well in his thread when he first got his 2009 in Chicago.

I did a search (using the upper left search feature) and found some relevant links:
EDIT: Merged into this thread

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=4116.0

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heated and cooled seats

I have an 09 SLT-2 package but am not sure what part of the seats should be cooling. According to the buttons on the lower dashboard, the heated seats are for the seat back and bottom but I dont know about the cooled seating. The driver side seems to work better than the passenger as far as the cooling goes. Does anyone have any info about what is supposed to be cooled and how to go about checking them. Would appreciate any info

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: Heated and cooled seats

I don't have cooled seats (they weren't available until 09), but I think the cooled portion of the seat only cools the part you sit in and not the back like the heated portion of the seat; weird huh?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Heated and cooled seats

It covers the lower area. Mrs. Blue says the driver side works better on ours as well. If you search the forum, there is a Delphi document that goes into how the cooled seats were designed. Search for Delphi and cooled and it should turn up.

Nevermind- it is linked in the cooled seats thread, which is where I'll merge this one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I still don't understand why the driver's seat is MUCH cooler than the passenger. In fact, it is difficult to feel any cooling in the passenger seat while the driver's seat gets too cold after awhile. The guys at the dealership shop told me that the seat was working as far as they could tell, but the service manager acknowledged that there was a difference between the two seats but he did not know the reason for this and had not been able through research to find a reason why the difference existed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just got my 09 w/ the cooled seats and just tonight I noticed that the drivers seat cools much better than the passenger seat

1 - 15 of 15 Posts