GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to get a good deal on a 2008 AWD Acadia. SLT2, loaded.

The dealer has had it for months and cannot sell it so it is going back to the auction...unless someone gets it by Friday.

It is a 2008 and has around 17,000 miles on it.

It looks and handles great.

However, when I checked the average MPG, it was only 10.4!

I have read that there are issues with some Acadias and poor MPG and this looks like one of them. I will probably pass on it because I cannot justify buying an Acadia and only getting 10.4 MPG.

Is this a known issue? AWD should at least get 16 overall IMO...not sure what to do since the price is very attractive.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Re: Thinking about a 2008 Acadia but average MPG is only at 10.4!!!

Individual driving styles affect mpg. If the person that was driving the car had a heavy foot or drove around the city alot that could explain the low mpg. I would take a test drive in the vehicle on the highway and reset the mpg indicator and see what it shows.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I understand...I am worried though because I too have a heavy foot at times. :) My Jeep Grand Cherokee still gets 18 MPG average though.

However, most of my driving will be highway, going to work.

I checked the electronic readout (DIC?) in the dash on the driver's side.

Is that the average MPG for the history of the Acadia? Meaning MPG average for those 17,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

kantkwit said:
How did you check the mileage? If you read it on the DIC, there is no way to know what that means. Someone may have reset it and just drove it around the lot.
I agree with kantkwit. You cannot take that DIC and translate it to absolute truth. If someone reset the MPG, then drove it around the lot, let it sit there at idle while they washed it or moved it to another parking spot, or took it off the car carrier.. you have no idea what that MPG is really from.
Reset it, take it for a ride, you will probably see it around 15-18 when you get done with a test drive, assuming you gun it a few times.
Also make sure it is worth buying it used, instead of getting a new 08 or 09. The 08's new have some great incentives. The 09's have a new type of engine for the Acadia. Another suggestion. GET THE VIN# for the one at the dealer lot. Ask a nice kind forum member named GEOHAWK to run the vin# in GMVIS to get history of the repairs or outstanding recalls. Do your research before pulling the trigger. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

bonk1313 said:
kantkwit said:
How did you check the mileage? If you read it on the DIC, there is no way to know what that means. Someone may have reset it and just drove it around the lot.
I agree with kantkwit. You cannot take that DIC and translate it to absolute truth. If someone reset the MPG, then drove it around the lot, let it sit there at idle while they washed it or moved it to another parking spot, or took it off the car carrier.. you have no idea what that MPG is really from.
Reset it, take it for a ride, you will probably see it around 15-18 when you get done with a test drive, assuming you gun it a few times.
Also make sure it is worth buying it used, instead of getting a new 08 or 09. The 08's new have some great incentives. The 09's have a new type of engine for the Acadia. Another suggestion. GET THE VIN# for the one at the dealer lot. Ask a nice kind forum member named GEOHAWK to run the vin# in GMVIS to get history of the repairs or outstanding recalls. Do your research before pulling the trigger. GOOD LUCK!
Thanks, I always get the VIN and get a full history on the car. I usually call dealership and ask them to look at it. Most people are nice enough to do it.

I have thought about a 2009 but I want $10k off list and they will not go that low yet. (list is $47k, best I got offered was $42k).

This 2008 was $46k list price and I can get it for $30k. (AWD, 17k miles, DVD, sunroofs, Nav, HID).

That is why I am really thinking of pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Gruson said:
bonk1313 said:
kantkwit said:
Thanks, I always get the VIN and get a full history on the car.  I usually call dealership and ask them to look at it.  Most people are nice enough to do it. Is this from GMVIS or Carfax?[/color]

I have thought about a 2009 but I want $10k off list and they will not go that low yet.  (list is $47k, best I got offered was $42k). I am not surprised, that would be no profit for them[/color]

This 2008 was $46k list price and I can get it for $30k.  (AWD, 17k miles, DVD, sunroofs, Nav, HID). It is up to you, lots of sunroof equipped Acadias had some water leaks and damage, be sure to check under the interior carpet around the base of the seats for rust or evidence of the water leaks. check for evidence the headliner has been dropped.
Good price I guess[/color]

That is why I am really thinking of pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: Need advice: thinking about a 2008 Acadia but average MPG is only at 10.4?

Don't buy an 09 if your only reason is MPG, it's not worth 10,000 for 1-2mpg better. Now if you want the extra power(which I think is noticeable) and integrated bluetooth then get the 09. I don't think you will ever get 10,000 off sticker on an Acadia that is the current model year. Now if you wanted to step up to a yukon or tahoe you can probably get 10-15k off depending on sticker price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

coloradoGM said:
Don't buy an 09 if your only reason is MPG, it's not worth 10,000 for 1-2mpg better. Now if you want the extra power(which I think is noticeable) and integrated bluetooth then get the 09. I don't think you will ever get 10,000 off sticker on an Acadia that is the current model year. Now if you wanted to step up to a yukon or tahoe you can probably get 10-15k off depending on sticker price.
It would be GMVIS . The member here already sent me the information too. Thanks!

I am going back on getting an 08 or 09...tough call. Save money or get more options and less miles.

·
Registered
60 Posts

Gruson said:
The dealer has had it for months and cannot sell it so it is going back to the auction...unless someone gets it by Friday.
I have read that there are issues with some Acadias and poor MPG and this looks like one of them. I will probably pass on it because I cannot justify buying an Acadia and only getting 10.4 MPG.
Is this a known issue? AWD should at least get 16 overall IMO...not sure what to do since the price is very attractive.
Some great information has already been passed on here from veteran Acadia members. I'll add my two-cents, which has not always met well with forum members regarding MPG and my experiences. IMHO and from my experiences from the last 3-months with my AWD Acadia the MPG royally SUCKS. Sorry, but I have tried every foot (light & heavy) and the best I have gotten is 17.3. My last fill-up which was today I got 15.6. In my opinion, regardless of heavy foot or traffic, the MPG should be better. That was one of the main reasons why I got out of my Yukon and into the Acadia. I lease my GMC vehicles and the past Envoy and my past 2-Yukon got this type pf MPG. Why is it too much to ask my Acadia to get 18-20 MPG.

It is my opinion that the 07 & 08 have a flawed drivetrain and that is evident with all the tranny flash upgrades and now the '09 DI & new transmission.I have to really drive my Acadia to have any fun with it. Even with the '08 flash upgrade it still continues to search for gears when driving. I really do like all the other creature features of the Acadia and I am 90% happy with it, but you will not convince me until I experience otherwise good MPG with it.

Sorry, my two-cents and for what it is worth!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Well, I just ran my 1st tank of gas through my Acadia since picking it up from the dealer last week and it got 18.5 mpg. I thought that was excellent, since it was all city driving. (You know, driving to the sister's house, mom and dads, etc. to show it off.) ;D

·
Registered
487 Posts

turfster26 said:
Gruson said:
Some great information has already been passed on here from veteran Acadia members. I'll add my two-cents, which has not always met well with forum members regarding MPG and my experiences. IMHO and from my experiences from the last 3-months with my AWD Acadia the MPG royally SUCKS. Sorry, but I have tried every foot (light & heavy) and the best I have gotten is 17.3. My last fill-up which was today I got 15.6. In my opinion, regardless of heavy foot or traffic, the MPG should be better. That was one of the main reasons why I got out of my Yukon and into the Acadia. I lease my GMC vehicles and the past Envoy and my past 2-Yukon got this type pf MPG. Why is it too much to ask my Acadia to get 18-20 MPG.

It is my opinion that the 07 & 08 have a flawed drivetrain and that is evident with all the tranny flash upgrades and now the '09 DI & new transmission.I have to really drive my Acadia to have any fun with it. Even with the '08 flash upgrade it still continues to search for gears when driving. I really do like all the other creature features of the Acadia and I am 90% happy with it, but you will not convince me until I experience otherwise good MPG with it.

Sorry, my two-cents and for what it is worth!
I can't speak for mileage on 08 but if you look at the window sticker I'm pretty sure it said 15 in town and you shouldn't expect any better than that, and if you do get better than that it's just icing. Also, as far as it being fun too drive the 09 is better but you also have to remember that it is a people mover not a sports car (i.e. not designed to be a fun toy). As far as mileage in my 09 no matter how easy I drive it I can't get better than 16.5 in town, but my wife regularly gets 17-18, I don't understand why she gets that much better. We did get 23-24 on a trip over the rocky mountains; so I have to say I was impressed with that.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Just to reinforce what Bonk said above, the DIC or any computer takes into account any time the motor is running. It does not take a time out if there is work being done on the vehicle. I recently added the Dodge equivalent of the DIC into my '91 Daytona while I was doing a lot of maintenance work to it, most of which involved running the motor after the work was done. The first 4 miles when I test drove it the average mileage was in the single digit range. After driving the car a while and then filling it up & resetting & I am now around 27-28 AVG MPG.

If the Acadia has been at the dealer for a while, it is very likely the same type of thing has happened- in the service bays, washes, short test drives, etc. so the AVG MPG would be fairly low.

It seems like this boils down to a 2008 vs 2009 question- I'd say for the money saved, you could not go wrong for a year old SLT2 (figuring it has the options you want and no water damage as previously noted) for $30K. You should still build your own as an '08 and an '09 to see if the extra money is worth it. Keep in mind you may not find a new 2008 equipped as you want it, and we have some info here that there has been another 2009 price increase.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I agree with Blue completely. The DIC is normally reset after each fillup. I don't think I have ever gotten a reading as low as 10 in the 22 months I have owned my Acadia. Granted around town I will get 12 to 16 depending on how many stop and go's I do. On the freeway I am very consistent at 22mpg at 74mph. Anyway, with the money you are saving, you can afford to burn a ton of gas (which you won't). Go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the replies.

Curious, do the Enclaves get around the same MPG?

About the rust, how would I check that out? I imagine they will not let me take out the carpet....

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

If you search here, I think it is in the TSB/problem board, there is a posting containing the affected VIN range for the sunroof campaign. The GMVIS Geohawk gives/gave you will also show if this is open or if it was done.

Typical water damage will reveal itself as a stain on the headliner around the sunroof opening(s), also you should note a mildewy odor if it was not taken care of in a timely manner. While somewhat out of the ordinary, if they want to sell the vehicle, they should allow you to inspect the areas under the carpet, either by having a tech remove the door sill and peeling it back or allowing you to do so. Once you explain your motivation, I'd hope this would not be an issue.

If you also search here for water leaks, you can read about the experiences members here have had and where to look for water that has collected in one place.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
If you search here, I think it is in the TSB/problem board, there is a posting containing the affected VIN range for the sunroof campaign. The GMVIS Geohawk gives/gave you will also show if this is open or if it was done.

Typical water damage will reveal itself as a stain on the headliner around the sunroof opening(s), also you should note a mildewy odor if it was not taken care of in a timely manner. While somewhat out of the ordinary, if they want to sell the vehicle, they should allow you to inspect the areas under the carpet, either by having a tech remove the door sill and peeling it back or allowing you to do so. Once you explain your motivation, I'd hope this would not be an issue.

If you also search here for water leaks, you can read about the experiences members here have had and where to look for water that has collected in one place.
:ditto: What he said, or when you take it for a test drive, if they don't ride with you my dealer doesn't, stop somewhere, and just peak under the seats around some of the openings where the tracks are. But hopefully they should be accomidating to you for this, it will assist them in moving the vehicle and not having you come back :angryfire: if you find damage later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used 2008 SLT2 AWD acadia

I am looking at purchasing a used silver AWD SLT2 Acadia from the dealer and was curious if it seemed like a good deal? Unfortunately, KBB and Edmunds do not have the 2008 prices listed yet. The car has a bit of miles on it for 2008 registering in at 27,342. The dealership is one of those no haggle places and the price is $26,999. It does not have any extras above and beyond the stardard SLT 2 package. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
12 Posts

For what it's worth, we have had our '08 SLT 2 for two weeks now. We got it loaded with all the options we wanted and more. List was $43,720 and we got it, out the door with tax, tag, title, and various assundry junk fees for $38,400. By my estimation, that is about a $7,500 savings off list. I thought that was a good deal. We could not have gotten near that good a deal on an '09.

As far as MPG goes I noticed that our first tank of gas we got about 13. I was not happy. Since then however, we are averaging about 17. I am looking forward to taking it to Tennessee for Thanksgiving and seeing what it can do on the highway. I am expecting at least 24 or 25 MPG. I guess we'll see.

Dan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Used 2008 SLT2 AWD acadia

Texas to North Dakota said:
I am looking at purchasing a used silver AWD SLT2 Acadia from the dealer and was curious if it seemed like a good deal? Unfortunately, KBB and Edmunds do not have the 2008 prices listed yet. The car has a bit of miles on it for 2008 registering in at 27,342. The dealership is one of those no haggle places and the price is $26,999. It does not have any extras above and beyond the stardard SLT 2 package. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!
Does that include the rebates?

I just got a 2008 SLT-1 with Sunroof, power liftgate, rear sensor and remote start. Sticker price $39500. Paid $36995 + an additional $4500 in rebates. So for around $32500 before taxes. That's a lot of miles. Maybe worth it if you had navigation and dvd. If they won't haggle now, maybe they will if it doesn't sell right away.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: Used 2008 SLT2 AWD acadia

that is a lot of miles, was it a rental car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts