GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took "Samantha" my apparently possessed Acadia in to the GMC dealer again, reviewed the recent complete electrical failure, warranty repairs of leaky not connected sunroof drains, lumbar broken, XM missing, etc. What was interesting was that where 5 months ago the service advisor had been questioning some of the issues, now was complete acceptance (seemed like I was singing a now familiar song to him), in particular where I told him that the GMC dealers had been excellent in their responses, the problems had been with GM/UAW in bad assembly and vehicle design.
Told him to take as long as he needed to fix it, wanted his confirmation all "holes" in the roof had been patched so the electrical glitches will not reoccur.
Still like the vehicle overall, but have had discussions with others in the market lately asking what I thought. Told them all they certainly do not want a 2007 due to poor assembly and they do not want a 2008 due to cam failures, to hold off for 2009 if they feel they want one, so most of these people have gone elsewhere to purchase with all the end of the year deals floating around.
The Acadia has a lot of nice points about it, but GM/UAW seems to have really blown the launch of what could have been a very nice vehicle. I really believed that it was no longer a problem to purchase a first year car with all the advanced quality control programs, but I was wrong. :banghead:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Old News at the GMC Dealer

Well got Samantha back home one more time, dealer swears no more leaks. Says GM dealers now as a standard matter when they have to rip out the headliner seal up both sunroofs and roof rack rather than do it multiple times.
They got back the XM radio but had to reboot and reset the computer to do it, apparently the electrical surge due to water somewhere sent it into cyberspace, but it is back.
They "reconnected" the lumbar inside the seat again, was not broken just fell apart. Is working ok for now.
So overall, time will tell, hopefully they got it right this time :comfort:

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: Old News at the GMC Dealer

jrc50 said:
The Acadia has a lot of nice points about it, but GM/UAW seems to have really blown the launch of what could have been a very nice vehicle. I really believed that it was no longer a problem to purchase a first year car with all the advanced quality control programs, but I was wrong. :banghead:
YOUR ABSOLUTELY RIGHT :thumb: and they have to make up for it for the upcoming years (which they are doing)!!!! they had the oppurtunity to really blow the competition with a very well thought out product, but the means did not justify the ends..... IMHO :thumb:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Electronics Acting Up Again-Lucas Eng. Lives

Headed out for Mother's Day with the family, had washed Acadia ("Samatha" as in possessed) the night before. Results: no A/C controls front seats, 85 degrees F and climbing here in South Alabama. Fans in back work fine.
Obviously problems with possessed electronics not fixed by multiple dealer visits, looks like were headed down Lemon Law road, great vehicle but POS assembly :angryfire:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Re: Electronics Acting Up Again-Lucas Eng. Lives

Sorry to hear of you continued problems jrc50. Sounds like a Lemon Law claim is where you're headed.

Just a lighter note: The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark." ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

GeoHawk
Had not heard that one about "getting home before dark" but it was true with the old MGB my brother had years ago.
Taking the Acadia into the dealer today to get started on the process, hate to do it as another review last night of what similar vehicles are on the market came up 0 as to anything I liked better, but this thing is simply unreliable. I have more faith in one of my 150,000 mile Crown Vics than this $40,000 crossover.
Will try to work something out on a 2009, since GMC will not be able to sort out whether any particular 2008 is going to have to have the engine replaced due to the bad camshaft issue. If that is unsuccessful then this thing probably needs a fusebox and a new computer as it keeps losing its "memory" of different electrically controlled functions. The leaky sunroof/roof rack must have jolted it once too often :confused: Of course this is based on the hope that the Lansing assembly plant has finally trained it's workers or that they care enough to save their jobs.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok, bit of an update after this morning's session at the GMC dealer. Service department after checking on why I have no front A/C fan (back one fine) is that the electric relay for it is shot.
He checked GM stocks of this, 0 supply in North America! :confused: Of course this means that either this is such a common problem the stock is depleted or it is not supposed to happen. By odd concidence, the service writer pointed out the Acadia parked behind "Samantha" needs the same relay, even he is rubbing his head. :help:
Anyway, I sit down with the dealership Service Manager and the other guy necessary to officially document all the bs going on with this vehicle, and they are professional and basically come to the conclusion to give it the old college try when the relay comes in (whenever that is) to take out the interior completely-headliner, carpet, seats and make sure the repairs done at the other dealership to the sunroof actually stopped the leaks that may have been the root cause of the electrical problems.
I told them several times my main disappointment in GM was not going to a normal recall for all sunroof equipped owners and that GM is trying to hide a problem that will only get worse over time. The poll on sunroof leaks on this site shows about 50% of the respondents have/had a leak problem, that is a lot to ignore.
Anyway, the "Samantha" story continues...............

·
Registered
381 Posts

I would suggest starting a pole if you are interested in determining a systemic issue with the Acadia.

I haven't heard of anyone else, on this website, experiencing a similar problem. Brandishing the whole Acadia design as shoddy is a wee bit strong.

Start seing a trend similar to the tranny issue or cam problem, and I might be able to agree.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Well, the water leak issues leading to electrical problems are pretty prominent in this site, and with half of the respondents indicating a leak problem, it tells me that it is not uncommon. My dealer commented that this is the most common issue they are seeing-the sunroof leaks-but I have a feeling more electrical issues will develop over time/corrosion/repeated surges.
The poll is not a bad idea

·
Registered
111 Posts

No leak or electronics issues here. None. Mine's a thirteen months old, with 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
812 Posts

jrc50 said:
Well, the water leak issues leading to electrical problems are pretty prominent in this site, and with half of the respondents indicating a leak problem, it tells me that it is not uncommon. My dealer commented that this is the most common issue they are seeing-the sunroof leaks-but I have a feeling more electrical issues will develop over time/corrosion/repeated surges.
The poll is not a bad idea
dont forget springtime is here.... i already seen an increase on the amount of threads posted by new/old members regarding the leak issue. but most of them have 07s so its still hard to determine if the 08s are affected as much as the 07s. this was the main reason i opted not to go for the sunroof option. the only glitch im experience electronically was my memory settings was erased for no apparent reason. it only happened once so no cause for concern to me. the other im currently experiencing is the non-airbag function on the passenger side after each remote start. ???

·
Registered
166 Posts

Just so I'm aware... what are the symptoms of leaky sunroof? Leaking directly into the cab or other?

·
Registered
812 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

SioXie said:
.... the other im currently experiencing is the non-airbag function on the passenger side after each remote start. ???
Can you elaborate? What is actually happening. I remote start all the time and wonder if I am just missing something.

·
Registered
812 Posts

GAR said:
SioXie said:
.... the other im currently experiencing is the non-airbag function on the passenger side after each remote start. ???
Can you elaborate? What is actually happening. I remote start all the time and wonder if I am just missing something.
after ive done the remote start, put the ignition key on and my wife sits on the passenger seat... the passenger air bag indicator still lit up indicating its off. ??? but when i do just the regular ignition, the passenger airbag sensor turned on from off. :confused: kinda bugs me, i only notice it when my wife reminded me a few days ago. so im in the process of testing it still. will update on the situation as soon as i can...... :help:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I'll watch mine as well to see how it works.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Was the Excorcism Successful?

Well, just got "Samantha" the possessed Acadia back from the GMC dealer, again. Took it in to replace front blower resistor which had shorted out, although back A/C still blew ok. This was after the earlier complete electrical failure; and the loss of the XM radio, the battery failure, and misc. smaller warranty issues.
They also installed a new "front pivot bolt" as reported elsewhere on this site as the drivers seat rocking fix, and it seems to have taken at least 80% of the rocking out of the track :clap:
Oddly enough for the second time they performed Recall 07133 for the battery drain, do not know why, but it was a GM specific note for this vehicle.
As well they insist that the sunroof no longer leaks, the second sunroof and the roof rack is not leaking, and the firewall has been resealed as well (they stopped short of putting a coat of tar on the roof, which is just as well).
Hopefully this is the last of the electrical shortcomings I will see, provided the incense and exorcism rituals (not sure which TSB covered them) worked. :cheers:
Got a long drive for Memorial Day holiday, so we will see if Mr. Lucas has really left the building (hope :confused:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts