GMC Acadia Forum banner

While in drive and on an incline and foot off the brake do you roll backwards?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• n/a

MERGED: roll back in park or drive

127K views 304 replies 120 participants last post by  speleos 
#1 ·
After the "first scratch" message by clsuper, I started wondering. My car does seem to roll back further then previous ones when I place it in park. Has anyone else noticed this?
Of course, it may be that because my old car had a hand pull lever emergency brake which I always automatically set, it didn't roll as much. I'm not used to the foot emergency brake yet.

#3 ·
Re: roll back in "PARK"

sandman said:
After the "first scratch" message by clsuper, I started wondering. My car does seem to roll back further then previous ones when I place it in park. Has anyone else noticed this?
Of course, it may be that because my old car had a hand pull lever emergency brake which I always automatically set, it didn't roll as much. I'm not used to the foot emergency brake yet.
I've had no problems with roll back with the Acadia--seems to stay right where you put it in park.

#5 ·

Ya, I think you are right. I would assume that the last two or three members that replied use their parking brake?

#7 ·

Nope. I haven't given the parking brake any thought. I just park it and that's that. And like I said, my driveway slopes away from my house down to the street. I have FWD. Maybe original poster has AWD? Not sure why that might cause a difference.

#8 ·

I don't think the roll back is any worse than other cars, except the tires are so much bigger than a car, it would tend to move a bit further with the same amount of axle movement.

#9 ·

Here is our philosophy on the Parking Brake

Flat Ground - not needed

Hill, or incline of any kind - use it - if you put the car in Park, and let just the "Park" peg hold the car, even on only a slight incline, don't you notice the thump when you shift out of park? Obvously, that is not a good thing.

Stop your car (on any amount of incline), and BEFORE you put it in park, set the parking brake and take your foot off the brake and sit in neutral for a second, make sure that the car will not roll, then put it in park. Seems very simple, and to some rather condescending, but I am surprised at how many folks do not do that.

#10 ·

JB,
That's a different way of doing it. I'll have to try it. I find that the Acadia does move a bit more when put into park, as the parking in front of my house slopes a bit down toward the house. I always engage the parking brake, but with just one week with Acadia, I'm still getting used to the foot brake versus a hand brake between the front seats. I have forgotten a couple of times. Flat, you're right, it's no problem.

#11 ·

I totally agree with JB. I lived in Pittsburgh for years. The land of rivers and hills. You learned quickly to use the parking brake on even a slight incline. Not doing so could lead to possible transmission damage or linkage being bent. Remember, the weight of the vehicle is being held by a pin.

#12 ·

Jacko said:
I totally agree with JB. I lived in Pittsburgh for years. The land of rivers and hills. You learned quickly to use the parking brake on even a slight incline. Not doing so could lead to possible transmission damage or linkage being bent. Remember, the weight of the vehicle is being held by a pin.
Jacko, I laughed out loud when I read your post! I was thinking my husband must be on this forum - I had to look twice at your name! My husband is from Pittsburgh (Upper St. Clair) and just the other day he was getting after me for putting the car in park & then putting on the emergency brake. His exact words to me were "the weight is only being held by a pin"! ;D

#13 ·

I have always used my parking brake regardless of the incline. When people ride with me they always think it is strange that I use it. They think it should only be used as an 'emergency' brake. I have had folks tell me it is not good for the braking system to always use the parking brake. Has anyone heard this or know of any facts behind it. It becomes habit to use it.

#15 ·

FRW - I don't think it applies to the acadia, but in the old days setting the parking brake is also what adjusted your rear brakes. Anyway, even it it does cause extra wear (the only thing I can think of is the cable (which on previous cars usually have a very simple adjustment mechanism under the car that any reasonably handy person could do) brakes are cheaper than transmissions :).

#16 ·

I personally use the parking brake, but can't speak for my wife. Like kelly said, if you use the parking brake, it's not an issue. However, I have noticed (through some experimentation) that the distance the car rolls back is inconsistent. Sometimes it locks immediately, and sometimes it'll roll up to 6 inches before locking. More so when it rolls backwards.

#17 ·

JB said:
FRW - I don't think it applies to the acadia, but in the old days setting the parking brake is also what adjusted your rear brakes. Anyway, even it it does cause extra wear (the only thing I can think of is the cable (which on previous cars usually have a very simple adjustment mechanism under the car that any reasonably handy person could do) brakes are cheaper than transmissions :).
Yes, I have heard it adjusts the brakes. As you state, brakes would be cheaper than a transmission. I plan to always use the parking brake.

#18 ·

I'm trying to figure out why people are talking about brake wear, the parking brake doesn't use up any brake pads since you aren't moving and if it does you any it might take 5 miles out of the life of the brake. As far as adjusting the brakes, this used to be true when rear discs first came out. Now I believe the standard is to use a drum type setup on the inside of the disc and the rear brakes are actually just like the front floating calipers.

#19 ·

We just picked up our new Acadia last night and as we parked it in the garage I was standing standing alongside our car watching rear end of the car as my wifte put into park and turned it off. I wasn't looking for it (because I hadn't seen this on the forum yet), but I noticed right away the car rolled back a couple inches. I thought that was unusual given that my 50-year old corvette doesn't roll back that much.

Re the comments on the parking brake; I've never used my PB except on hills and really don't want to use one in by garage. From the amount of roll-back that I saw last evening we are going to have start using it nows.

#20 ·

Mine barely moves when I put it in park.

I have been following this thread and watching my vehicle. Can't say it is happening to mine.

#21 ·

I've noticed mine does this as well. My driveway has a slight incline but just like any other car, it tends to roll a little. It even does it slightly when parked in a parking lot but it's definitely not significant enough for me to be concerned. Just as stated above, get in the habit of using your parking brake everywhere. If you were driving a standard transmission (stick shift), you would use your parking brake all the time for extra security. Don't assume that PARK is going to stop your vehicle from moving.

#23 ·

I really do think it rolls back more than normal (at least compared to the other cars I have driven). However, since I now use the emergency brake, its no big deal. I am a little curious why the slack?

#25 ·

My SLE also rolls back.

The thing is I don't know if it always did and I did not notice it until I read this thread. Or did it do it since day one.

Is it possible that car comes tight and then something becomes loose as it breaks in causing the car to rollback more?

#26 ·

Will be interesting to read what "agent" Acadia7j100001 has to say about this one. Maybe it will get on "the list" for this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.