GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a replacement antenna for the Acadia/Outlook? The black flexible one that came standard on our non-XM AWD Outlook XR hits the garage door opening on the way in and out. Because it's angled, the way in isn't the problem, it's when you back out of the garage. I'm concerned that overtime it will break.

tyson

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Replacement Antenna

It's not hitting the door. It's hitting the door opening. The structure. The garage door opens 1" beyond the door framework (sorry, I'm no construction expert and am probably using incorrect terminology). Can I swap out my flexible antenna for one of the XM domes and still get my AM/FM signals?

tyson

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

My garage was built in 69 and is a little lower than today's std height opening. Mine too keeps hitting the opening and going to live with it. On Star runs out in a year and have 100 minutes left on phone with XM running out in 2 months, then antenna gets removed. I might remove antenna sooner when minutes run out on phone. Problem solved for me.

·
Registered
395 Posts

I think you will lose AM/FM, as well. It is a "quad band" antenna- AM/FM/XM/Cell/GPS (Actually that's 5- maybe the AM/FM is considered one band? Or the GPS (for onstar) is separate?) I guess you could put a typical AM/FM antenna on the front fender if that is all you want.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Actually what would happen if you just cut the antenna down. ake it shorter so it does not hit. I am in the same boat as you it hits the physical door opening- house built in 1970. I was thinking of just cutting some of it off.

·
Registered
395 Posts

If I recall, the ideal length for an AM/FM antenna is about 30" (It's a function of the wavelength of the signal you are trying to capture). It's much smaller than that on the Acadia but the spiral winding I suspect is to give it more effective length. Making it shorter (in theory), would reduce the effectiveness at the lower frequencies. (If you look at a rooftop UHF or VHF TV antenna, the elements are different lengths to "catch" multiple frequencies but the FM band exists between channel 6 & 7 of the VHF band, so one length does a fairly good job at receiving the entire range).

·
Registered
18 Posts

Yes, ideal length for an FM antenna is about 30". AM is another story and would require an antenna about 220 feet tall to work! Needless to say that's not gonna happen and they simply use "electrical tricks" to make the drastically shortened FM antenna work for AM.

Having said that, the antenna currently on the vehicle is already a compromise for FM to begin with and IMO cutting anymore length off would seriously degrade the received signal.

Unfortunately, you can't beat the laws of physics on this one.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts

I agree- the antenna needs to be a certain length to handle the frequencies and cutting the antenna would severly degrade the reception.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Its bad enough my reception at the current length is terrible. Wouldn't want to compromise it anymore, or I'll be like that new singing competition on TV. I'll need to fill in ever other word of the song to get the whole thing. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
405 Posts

:eek:fftopic: but i have a question. for imgntht

your Nuckin futs. i just saw a video on jib jab, with a bunch of kids singing about 2006, is that were that comes from really funny

here is a link.

http://www.jibjab.com/originals/nuckin_futs

·
Registered
683 Posts

Actually the Nuckin futs comes from a T-shirt I saw on a coworker almost 10-12 years I guess now. I think he said his mom got it from Vegas for him. I just thought it was the funniest thing back then and apparently it just stuck with me all this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Back on the topic of antenna height. Our neighbor bought an Enclave last month and since we were considering an Outlook or Acadia we asked them to pull it into our garage. On their car the antenna cleared the door opening. When we brought our new Acadia home this week, we were surprised to find that the antenna hits the opening. ??? I think both cars have the same tires, perhaps the Acadia has more clearance in the wheel wells?

I'm thinking of taking and old hard drive magnet (very strong) and wrapping it in black electrical tape to attach it to the roof, and securing the tip of the antenna with some lacing cord to get a couple more inches of clearance. Not sure how this will look or how good it is for the antenna (can't be worse than bending it backwards when pulling out of the garage!). If I go this route, I'll post a picture.

Nick

·
Registered
681 Posts

Some garage door openers have an adjustment screw that allows the door to rise a little further - there is a limit though - just a thought before you start adding magnets to the Acadia.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Like others have mentioned the problem is not the door, it is the physical opening of the garage. The door opens higher than the opening, so this is the major problem.

Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts

Surely there must be some sort of lower-profile replacement antenna available on the aftermarket. Does anyone know if this is true? The door frame on our garage is about 1" too low and it seems like a lot to enlarge the opening if the problem can be solved more easily.

·
Registered
217 Posts

pushtree said:
Surely there must be some sort of lower-profile replacement antenna available on the aftermarket. Does anyone know if this is true? The door frame on our garage is about 1" too low and it seems like a lot to enlarge the opening if the problem can be solved more easily.
I have done a lot web surfing looking at antennas for home based XM applications. I have never seen an antenna specifically to replace the GM vehicle antenna. Probably this is because the GM antenna is quite specialized, as has been mentioned in previous posts. Demand may be too low to justify someone producing an after market antenna.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Just change your tires to 255/55's instead of 65's and that will save you 2". If you need more you can save 7" by going to 255/30/18. Problem solved :blob:

·
Registered
533 Posts

As long as we're throwing crazy suggestions out, why not "notch" your garage door frame :banghead: Sorry, couldn't resist![/color]

1 - 20 of 122 Posts