GMC Acadia Forum banner

Merged: Remote Start Retrofit/Upgrade

20K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  Phazer_II 
#1 ·
So I picked up my new to me 07 Acadia this weekend for the wife. It has remote start (ap3) on it, but it didn't come with a fob for remote start or keyless entry. Actually came with a Pontiac key. ???.

Anyway, does anyone have an actual part number for these remotes so I can look on ebay or give to the dealer? Are there a couple different remotes for different levels? We have power lift gate, not sure if all the FOB's have that or not, but it would definetly be wanted if I am going to buy a new remote.

Cool site, glad I found it. Wish I would have looked for this a couple weeks ago when researching. But I am really excited about this vehicle. I havne't liked an of my wifes cars/suv's except the Yukon that we had.

#2 ·
Re: Remote start FOB

Go to your dealer and tell them you don't have the right fobs. Now what the salesman should have done when you got your car is explain and demonstrate what all of the buttons on the fob do and how they correspond with the options on your Acadia. Then he would have realized he had the wrong fobs from the beginning.

Wait, you got an 07 right? Is it used, private sale, demo, 07 clearance or what? If it was bought from a dealer then they should give you the right fob.

#3 ·

I bought it used, it wasn't a dealer. Texas direct on ebay, they buy at auctions and resell NICE vehicles!! Mine was an ex-lease with 11k on it. Only thing wrong was the fobs missing and the sunshade on the rear sunroof missing.

#4 ·

Your best bet is to order from GM or through a dealer. But be prepared to pay a pretty penny though. My mom thought she lost the keys to our SV6 with power sliding doors and remote start, and the dealer quoted us $300 (CAD) for a replacement key and fob.

#5 ·

Ive seen them on ebay for around 39. The keys can also be bought for around $10 on ebay. A local locksmith can program the FOB with a hand held unit they use. They will charge 1/20 of the price a dealer will. I have heard of it being done for less than $20. The key can be punched or cut by any locksmith and the DIC can program it.

#6 ·

Here's the next thing, all the FOB's I'm finding online say they need option code ap8, mine is ap3 wonder what the difference is?

Can anyone with remote start and power lift gate look on the back of their fob so I could possibly get a searchable part number to put into an ebay search?

That would be great of ya'lll.... :thumb: :cheers:

#7 ·

Mine has no markings on the back. I did a quick ebay search and those do look different. There is a seller who lists them pretty often, set up an automated daily search to alert you when one is available.

#9 ·

That is the exact one physically. Maybe you can call them and confirm if it will work with the Lambda's?

#11 ·

Alright, here's the skinny.

For option code AP3 the correct p/n for the FOB is 25839476
For option code AP8 the correct p/n for the FOB is 19159768 Remote Start / Power Lock Upgrade (w/ RPO Code AP8, E61)
For option code AP8 the correct p/n for the FOB is 17801236 Remote Start / Power Lock Upgrade (w/ RPO Code AP8, w/o RPO Code E61)

Anyway I picked up 2 remotes and 2 uncut keys from http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZjej1998 (melvin) on ebay. Very nice guy very helpfull. Cheapest around too, I got everything for $128 + s/h.

#12 ·
Remote start add-on no longer available?

I know this is the Acadia forum but, I ordered an Outlook that was just delivered yesterday. I ordered it with out the remote start, with the intent thaT when it comes in I can purchase the key fob's for the remote start and have the computer "flashed" to activate the remote start. I've read this was possible as well as confirmed with the dealership that it was possible before ordering. When it arrived the dealer was having problems getting it to work. Long story short, they were told by the factory rep(?) that this no longer possible. Anybody know anything about this? :banghead:

Don Willems I sent you an email in regards to this as well.

Thanks!

#14 ·
Help! Remote Start does not Work???

My Acadia did not come with remote start. I purchased a set of FOB with the AP8 option GM Accessories P/N 19132317. I took my car to the dealership for programming. They said that it work correctly. I never checked the system till I arrived home. The doors & horn work but not the remote start.

I called the supplier & he said they should work fine. I called the dealership back & they thought I needed a hardware mod. I told them I understood that it was all a programming issue. They are checking it out now as I type.

The instructions state you need a GMVIS or Servive parts ID label then call 1-888-337-1010 to obtain a BCM (VCI) number & my VIN # to perform the upgrade. I do have the authorization code.

Do you think the dealership screwed up?

Pat

#15 ·
Re: Remote start add-on no longer available?

I purchased P/N 19132317 & had the dealership install them yesterday. They informed me that it was working correctly. When I got home, the remote starter did not work. The lock & horn do. The vechile has to have the AP8 option to work.

I am taking the Acadia back to the dealership to see if they did not program the system correctly. They have to call GM to receive a BCM (VCI) code to reprogram the computer. I am for sure they skipped this step.

It's going back after the 26th. Keep you posted.

Pat

#16 ·
Re: Help! Remote Start does not Work???

I would assume they tried it before releasing the car back to you to make sure it was working - I know that I have to press the door lock button twice (two beeps) then press and the remote start button for a few seconds to get it to start up. Even if the door is already locked I have to press the door lock button or the remote start will not work. If not then they must have messed something up and they could not have tested it first.

#17 ·

Old Timer said:
I purchased P/N 19132317 & had the dealership install them yesterday. They informed me that it was working correctly. When I got home, the remote starter did not work. The lock & horn do. The vechile has to have the AP8 option to work.

I am taking the Acadia back to the dealership to see if they did not program the system correctly. They have to call GM to receive a BCM (VCI) code to reprogram the computer. I am for sure they skipped this step.

It's going back after the 26th. Keep you posted.

Pat
Wow, you took it in to have them do this one task, they give it back to you saying it was done and they never even tested it before giving it back to you? :banghead:

#18 ·
Re: Help! Remote Start does not Work???

The doors must be locked first. Then one press of the lock button and one press and hold on the start button. Hold until the lights flash once. It will only remote start two times then there must be a manual start before it will auto start again.

This should be in your manual even if your Acadia did not come with remote start.

#19 ·

I purchased my Acadia a couple of weeks ago without a remote start, but had arranged to have a factory unit installed last Friday. The dealership had A LOT of problems getting it to work. Apparently, the technician at the dealership had to call the GM tech line because he could only get half of the features would work properly. According to the service writer, what he found out is that the dealership needed a software update. As soon as he updated the software and got back into the factory computer, everything worked perfectly. I've used it a few times over the weekend and all of the features appear to be working great.

#20 ·
Merged: Remote Starter Upgrade ?

I purchased the remote starter fobs from GM Accessories as an upgrade. My dealership spoke to Tech Support & still can't get the remote starter to work. I read where there is a PIT 4346 out.

The dealership kept my car again tonight as they are waiting on another call back from Tech Support.

Has anyone tried this upgrade?

Pat

#21 ·
Re: Remote Starter Upgrade ?

I did this upgrade as well, and it took them a while to get it right. The first time they sent me home, there were problems. It would not consistently start with the keyfob, and when it did, some of the steering wheel audio controls would not work. It was very odd. After about three days, they finally got it right. They claimed that they had to get an updated download from GM to get the programming to work correctly. No problems now.

#22 ·

The dealership received the correct information from Tech Support today & they now are working. Tech Support was giving them the wrong info for three days. it was a struggle!

Pat

#24 ·

I never really checked the distance to see how far it will remote start. i will do this when the weather is not so cold!

I usually remote start it has a am walking my dogs in the morning.

Pat

#25 ·

Just so we are not talking past each other here: Old Timer, it sounds as if you never had Remote Start to begin with, but then purchased it after the fact. Correct?

So for Mario, he did not upgrade to the new fobs that will increase distance and give you feedback of your vehicle. Don't think those are available yet...

#26 ·

I just purchased an 08 Enclave and wish to add the remote start. Out of curiousity, what did it cost for the "labor" to activate the remote start at the dealer? I can purchase the FOBs on the GM accessories page for $195 but am wondering what the install fee is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.