GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my power steering pump went out while driving around town on errands. Took it to local GMC dealership and they said it would be 3-4 weeks to get a new one, they are on back order. Could this be true??
They put me in a rental car since my car was considered unsafe to drive. The rental agency said they had been having problems with GM paying for an extended rental, so I went back to the service manager. He stated that normally GM will provide a car for 3 days, but since this was a safety issue and the part was on back order that they would pay for the car until mine is fixed. Anyone have this problem???
No problems with my car before the power steering went out.
Help! :help: :help: :help:

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Re: Power Steering Pump Out!

Mine was whining for a couple months. They initially thought it was the alternator with a bad bearing or whatnot, so they replaced that. The whine continued for another month before I was able to bring it back in last week. I was then told that there was a national backorder from the manufacturer, that the dealership had ordered one a month ago for another vehicle and it still wasn't in, that I was third in line for a new one and it could be months before I see my new power steering pump. They told me it wasn't a safety hazard and I could continue driving the vehicle. Fortunately, it was in for other issues that were taking a little longer to repair, and lo & behold, my power steering pump arrived late last week! So much for national backorder. I picked up my Acadia yesterday, new pump installed and no whine under the hood. It's quiet as a mouse.

Chances are that they'll order that pump for you and it'll be in a lot sooner than you expect. Sorry to hear yours went out on you like that. That's exactly what I was afraid would happen to mine before they'd get a chance to fix it.

·
Registered
681 Posts

I would recommend that you ask them to take a Power Steering Pump off of an Acadia on there lot, why put you out for three weeks or more. Then they can order a new one to replace the lot car and not put out a present owner. They probably will not want to do this since it would take that car out of there potential sales, but it does not hurt to ask.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I mentioned taking the power steering pump off of one of the Acadia's on the sales lot and they just about laughed at the thought.
I went by yesterday to get something out of my car at the dealership and now the battery is completely DEAD! It just goes from bad to worse and they don't have a clue.
I am getting a pretty bad taste in my mouth about my Acadia. :angryfire:

·
Registered
956 Posts

johnway said:
I would recommend that you ask them to take a Power Steering Pump off of an Acadia on there lot, why put you out for three weeks or more. Then they can order a new one to replace the lot car and not put out a present owner. They probably will not want to do this since it would take that car out of there potential sales, but it does not hurt to ask.
I wouldn't want to buy a car that had been used as a donor car for parts. Who knows how competent the mechanic was that was swapping out the parts. Of course the guys putting them together don't seem to do a very job at times either.

·
Registered
681 Posts

big bear craig said:
johnway said:
I wouldn't want to buy a car that had been used as a donor car for parts. Who knows how competent the mechanic was that was swapping out the parts. Of course the guys putting them together don't seem to do a very job at times either.
My point was to first service the customer who already paid for a vehicle rather than have them wait 3 or more weeks for a part that should be readily available, while I agree with you, I personally would not really want to buy a car I know that had parts swapped, for the most part swapping a part like a steering pump with another new one really should not matter, if the mechanic is competent. I was not saying to put the bad one on the other car on the lot, make that one wait 3 weeks for another new one to arrive. I would bet the mechanics, if they are fully trained, are more knowledgable about overall engine construction and maintanance than the guys on the assembly line bolting the same parts on over and over again - although I would bet a robot is somehow involved too. ;D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

vic49 said:
GiGi: what is the build date on your Acadia?

Since it now lives at the dealership I can't check, but I ordered it and picked it up on March 30, 2007.

·
Registered
16 Posts

About a few month (1-2) after I purchase my acadia the power steering resivoir went dry. I found it kind of ackward but i simply refilled it and it has been ok.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was going down the road a few days ago and I noticed a slight whining noise while turning at any speed. I mnow GM's are famous for loud power steering when it's cold so I ignored. However the next morning I went out and the steering was unbelievably loud and getting harder as the day progresses. I took it in to the dealership and they told me the steering rack and power steering pump broke. The mechanic told me the car was dangerous and I'll be in a rental for about two weeks. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: Broken Power Steering Pump and Rack

Our Acadia began steering hard at low speeds. Dealer said it was a power steering pump. Of course they had to order it, and when it was installed, the problem continued. Next trip to the dealer they said it was the steering rack, and of course had to order it. Finally installed it, and it has been great since. Yours is only the 2nd one that I have heard of to have the steering rack replaced. We now have almost 20K miles on the Acadia, and love it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have notice a leak under my Acadia last night and had also heard whining when i was turn this past week. I also thought it was from cold whether. Called the dealer and made an appointment. we have only 12,600 miles on ours. will write back and give an update for people that might have the problem later.
Josh

·
Registered
8 Posts

It's the rack and the part is on back order. the dealership has 3 others waiting for one.
build date of my acadia is
4/07

·
Registered
6 Posts

Same here. As we were leaving on our Spring break road trip to Glamis Sand Dunes, the P.S. started whining and then no assist. Drove over 750 miles until back in town and took the car to the dealer. They said the PS pump failed and then replaced it. As I drove home after the relacement, the car almost did not turn on the offramp off the freeway! I drove back to the dealer, with the PS intermittant and steering wheel to stick in place and resist steering wheel input. Dealer is now telling me the rack and pinion needs to be replaced as well. No good!

·
Registered
8 Posts

???took the Acadia to dealership and the part they ordered ended up having a broken bolt. so now they are ordering a new part and gm said they would over night it but the dealership don't think they will git it because they look the part up and it said the same thing when they ordered the first part two weeks ago that there was 3 on hand. so now I'm driving a loner and i have 2 kids and week are watching 2 other kids this weekend and and a Vibe isn't going to be big enough for 6 people. but i still love my acadia. for now

·
Registered
370 Posts

Glamis Sand Dunes! Wow, haven't heard anyone mention that place in years. Well, since moving from AZ to Ore. Talk about some sweet memories! ;D

·
Registered
5 Posts

My Acadia has only 400 km in it. I noticed that the steering wheel gets hard to turn sometimes immediately after I start the engine (not in a cold condition), all I had to do is to turn the engine off and on again then the wheel is back to normal i.e. can be turned easily. Any clue what could this be........?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Thanks for the update. Did they seem to get it fixed for you??

·
Registered
6 Posts

Yes, the steering seems to be operating normally now with no issues. Now it's on to the XM preview issue and the odor at standstill but those issues are for another thread...

1 - 20 of 136 Posts