GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out the stock air filter for the K&N filter and I noticed that there's oil inside the hose that leads to the intake/throttle body. Is this normal? ???

I also remember seeing a few threads a while back talking about the K&N filters letting in more dust into the intake than the stock paper filters.. Well I've been running the stock filters until now (18k mi) and as indicated by the blue boxes in the pic there's dust in the intake.. :eek: (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so it's not an overall dusty place like the desert..)

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Oil in the Intake/Throttle Body?

I do not think the oil is normal. I have never seen oil like that before on any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Ok thanks! Yeah I figured so much. Hmmmm... come to think of it the dealer just changed the oil last week.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I saw the same on my Acadia yesterday while changing the air filter. I notice the tube that goes from the crank case to the outlet duct was loose from the duct. I think oil change shop broke it. No dealer in the area has the tube. All the dealers I spoke with say the vehicle does not have a pcv valve. What appears to be the valve is broken in two right at the outer surface of the outlet duct.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I just went and looked at the engine and I would have to say it would be normal for a very small amount of oil to be in there. It doesn't look like there is a PCV but there is some sort of Crank Case Ventilation so as with any car that has a Ventilation system you can end up with small amounts of oil there. also from the pics it looks like the oil is right were this system hooks into the intake.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I ended up taking it to the dealer and they said that this could happen under heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
264 Posts

If in fact it does not have a pvc valve it might get a small amount of oil in the intake but that looks like quite a bit of oil. Have you noticed any smoke on acceleration? I am not surprised about the dealer response as they usually try to talk around any problem with the engine if it is due to hard acceleration why is there not a service notice about the problem that the dealer could reference! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

Might need a PCV Catch Can. Something like this: http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/Catch_Can.html

I had one on my GTO and I was really surprised at the amount of oil it caught right before it went back into the engine. GM's LSx motors really benfitted from these things, I wonder if ours would too.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

I'm no mechanic, but for 20,000 miles, that sure doesn't look like a whole lot of oil.

I believe the engine is designed to accomadate this oil being routed back into the engine.

I think I remember someone saying alot of short trips will cause more accumulation of oil.
Give it a good long highway run (30 40 minutes), then check it out.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Copperhead13 said:
I'm no mechanic, but for 20,000 miles, that sure doesn't look like a whole lot of oil.

I believe the engine is designed to accomadate this oil being routed back into the engine.

I think I remember someone saying alot of short trips will cause more accumulation of oil.
Is the engine designed to accomodate this oil being routed through the air system? I may have to take mine apart to see what is going on.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

jsimms said:
Copperhead13 said:

Is the engine designed to accomodate this oil being routed through the air system? I may have to take mine apart to see what is going on.
Yes, the PCV (or whatever they call it now) vent line is connected near the throttle body where the negative air pressure sucks it through the intake and back into the cylinders for combustion. This way it gets burned instead of vented to the atmosphere like in the the old pre-emission days. The downside to this is that this small amount of oil, when burned, can contribute to carbon buildup in the combustion chamber. This is nothing unique to GM's engines. All manufacturers pretty much have this setup.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Oil in Air Filter Housing

I went and got my oil changed yestereday, I have an 08 SLT with 22000 miles. When the asst. mgr took off the air filter housing cover, he found oil in the housing unit. The air filter was still clean, but he said that there shouldn't be oil in it. I am going to be taking it to the dealer and have them look at it.

Was curious if anyone else is having the same problem.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: Oil in Air Filter Housing

This has been discussed previously and I don't think this is a problem; because of the engine design some oil may blow back up to this area. You can use the search to see the postings on this, but I wouldn't worry

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thanks for the update, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. Just never seen it before.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

I would say if it's not getting on the filter that you shouldn't be concerned; you can wipe it out. Of course you can take it to the dealer if you feel uncomfortable; I am certainly not an expert and I would hate for something to actually be wrong and you didn't take action. I'm sure others will chime in on this; so get some more answers before you make a decision

Oh and :welcome:

·
Registered
117 Posts

Thank you, I love my Acadia, I figured since it was still under the warranty I would have it looked at. I appreciate the information.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Sunkahlua said:
Thank you, I love my Acadia, I figured since it was still under the warranty I would have it looked at. I appreciate the information.
You have come to the right place to talk about your Acadia; as the day presents itself more members will chime in with their responses. By all means take your Acadia in if you feel it's necessary

·
Super Moderator
22,594 Posts

Sunkahlua said:
That's not a bad idea, SunK. Any service advisor worth his salt (and commission) should be willing to show you what causes that phenomenon. It sounds to me like it could simply be accumulated oil from condensing oil vapors near the valve cover vent filter.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts