GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what mileage and/or % life remianing do you all recommend for oil changes? Should I take it to the dealer or to an oil change place?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Oil Change

My dealer will do an oil change for $19.00. I'll be there every 3,000 mi.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Your engine came with Synthetic oils/fluids. Full synthetic oils do not break down till 12,000 miles per lab test using Amzoil or Mobil 1. For $19.00, I'd check to see if dealer is replacing using full synthetic or commercial grade oil. Full Snythetic change is $50.00 in my area at quick change places. Four commercial grade oil changes to equal one Full synthetic change will cost $76.00. +, Full synthetic oil gets up into the upper cylinders must faster in cold starts, creates less friction on metal parts, claim a couple more HP. Lab test on Amzoil and Mobil is that if you keep their oils capped off, you can just change the oil filter at first 15,000 and full change every 30,000. Over the years, I have elected the full change every 10-12,000 miles. Just my input for what you take it for...

·
Registered
395 Posts

GerryL said:
teetertotter said:
Your engine came with Synthetic oils/fluids.
What is the source of that information?
I would agree that the car does not come with synthetic oil.

The book specifies GM6094M oil, which I believe is a spec for dino oil, though the info I have found is kind of sketchy. (Cars like the corvette which require a synthetic, call out a different spec). Since they are calling out a non-synthetic spec in the book, the oil change monitor is based on non-synthetic oil. You'll never keep the synthetic in long enough to see any benefit unless you change it long after the oil monitor tells you to.

·
Registered
468 Posts

GerryL said:
What is the source of that information?
:ditto:

I have heard a couple of people say that it came with synthetic but I have seen no mention of that anywhere other than this forum.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Daughter-in-law works at our GM truck line in town told me GM Engine plant uses synthetic. You can surf the internet for lab tests on synthetic vs conventional oils...etc. Many magazine articles over the years have expressed the plusses using synthetic. Latest article appeared in July issue 07 of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.
Also, lab tests show that if you use conventional oil, it does not begin to break down till 6000 miles, so changing any earlier is a waste of money. Read up on the internet and you will learn more for what you will want to do in your decision making, which is best for your engine and performance.

·
Registered
44 Posts

About 6 years ago and after much research I changed from the heavily advertised oil change every 3K to 5-6K there is really no reason other then to throw away $$$ to do it any sooner. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
27 Posts

The GMC Acadia is factory filled with regular oil. The SRX with the same engine is factory filled with Mobil 1 and sepecifies in owner's manual. Also the oil fill cap says use Mobie 1. All Cadillacs are factory fill with Mobil 1. Since the same engine is used in the Cadillac SRX and uses Mobil 1 and a lot of people think the GMC Acadia is factory filled with Mobil 1 also. I myself changed to synthetic @ 9000 miles and will do a second @ 16000 miles and after that change by the oil monitor.

·
Registered
956 Posts

I have also switched to synthetic. This engine has a big job to do as far as moving the 5000 pound car around which generates a lot of heat. I think synthetic might just add a little extra insurance to the longevity of the power plant. Time will tell.

·
Registered
659 Posts

big bear craig said:
I have also switched to synthetic. This engine has a big job to do as far as moving the 5000 pound car around which generates a lot of heat. I think synthetic might just add a little extra insurance to the longevity of the power plant. Time will tell.
I agree, having several times in hot conditions deen the temp guage raise above normal in just three months ownership. This engine seems as good a candidate as any when one considers working under difficult conditions.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Folks,

I have a Firebird with 141,500 miles that runs like new. You know why? I use synthetic oils in my engine (mobil 1), transmission (royal purple trans fluid), and differential (synergyn diff fluid). I also use premium gas (92) too. Many may think I'm wasting my money, but I keep my cars 10+ years and take them 120,000+ miles or more. My cars do not eat or burn any oil and the engine runs as good as the day I bought it. Seriously.

For $19, the dealer is using cheap oil. Do yourself and your Acadia a favor and change the oil yourself (or have someone do it) to full synthentic - Mobil 1 or Amsoil. It's worth it.

By the way, I use Amsoil in my wife's car and change it once per year (I use a longer lasting oil filter). Amsoil is even better than Mobil 1 in my opinion.

·
Registered
128 Posts

gig229 said:
Folks,

I have a Firebird with 141,500 miles that runs like new. You know why? I use synthetic oils in my engine (mobil 1), transmission (royal purple trans fluid), and differential (synergyn diff fluid). I also use premium gas (92) too. Many may think I'm wasting my money, but I keep my cars 10+ years and take them 120,000+ miles or more. My cars do not eat or burn any oil and the engine runs as good as the day I bought it. Seriously.

For $19, the dealer is using cheap oil. Do yourself and your Acadia a favor and change the oil yourself (or have someone do it) to full synthentic - Mobil 1 or Amsoil. It's worth it.

By the way, I use Amsoil in my wife's car and change it once per year (I use a longer lasting oil filter). Amsoil is even better than Mobil 1 in my opinion.
What have you seen to indicate that Amsoil is better than Mobil 1?

·
Registered
542 Posts

My last car had 225,000 miles on it. Never burned oil either and I just used plain old regular oil and regular gas.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Canuck,

I did some research on the internet before and found some oil analysis people did that showed less wear on Amsoil vs. Mobil 1. Check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com. However, I think both are fine and are a lot better than regular oil. I've even used Royal Purple with excellent results as well.

In my own use, I found synthetic oil makes the engine run smoother. I do a lot of city driving which breaks the oil down more, so the synthentic oil provides better protection. Plus, you don't have to change it as often.

·
Registered
128 Posts

Thanks I have read most of the info on the internet on wear etc and was checking to see if you had some inside info. I currently like the
Amsoil due to a lower price than the M1 in Canada and I have heard recently the M1 may not be as good as in the past. Have to buy the Mobil Extended to be equal to Amsoil, then it would be more expensive. I have used M1 in the past and like the cold start flow especially when it is 0 F outside.

·
Registered
395 Posts

From what I have read, most "synthetic" oils today are not truly synthetic. They are standard mineral based oils that have been processed to reduce parafin content and make them more consistent. True synthetics are created in a lab and the process is controlled to provide a consistent quality. I believe there are only a few true synthetics today- amsoil, redline and purple something (but there may be others). A lawsuit a few years back allows the processed dino oils to be called synthetic, even though they technically are not. (This is also the reason you may hear that Mobil One is not is good as it used to be.)

My favorite oils for everything from lawnmowers to boats and motorcycles, are the universal oils (for gas & diesel engines) like Rotella or Delo. Excellent quality, cheap and based on oil analysis provide excellent protection. Unfortunately, they are a little too heavy for the Acadia (though they do sell a straight SAE30 Rotella, which could be OK in the summer, though I'm not sure it meets the GM Spec listed in the owner's manual.)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Today, there are many grades of synthetic which includes BLENDED type. Look on the bottle for FULL SYNTHETIC which 100% synthetic.

·
Registered
677 Posts

Yep, I use Mobil 1 Extended Per. and a Mobil 1 filter. I change at every 6k. On my old Vue i saw a huge jump in overall MPG (went from 22 AVG to 25 AVG)

·
Registered
730 Posts

I changed oil at 3,099 miles.
I used to average 15-16 mpg on my 9-mile (one-way, city) travel to work. I'm getting 18-19 mpg 50%-50% city/highway driving.
After switching to Poyal Purple, I got 18.1 mpg on the very same road I travel to work. I got this numbers calculated manually after 5 days of usage.
Couldn't wait to see what's my highway mpg.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts