Votes: 0 0.0%
  • N/A

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember reading about a month ago about the gas gauge sticking. mine did it this morning. i had about 1/4 tank, but when i started it up this morning, the gauge was sitting on "E" and the range in the dic said "low". after driving for about 5 minutes, the gauge had moved slightly off E and the range changed from low to 50. i went ahead and got gas, and needed 16.5 gallons to fill up. that means i still had 5.5 gallons (1/4 tank) left.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Re: gas tank issue

While I haven't been running it to completely empty yet, I do feel that the gauge is a little "off" too. I'm going in for the recalls this morning, so I think I'll ask about that. Though, they probably won't know anything. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
49 Posts

There are presently two known issues related to fuel gauge accuracy.  One is a cold climate (below freezing) issue which requires replacing the sender in the tank with an updated unit due to the potential for ice formation on a moving part. 

The other is said to be a calibration issue.  Engineering is working on a new calibration.  Apparently, if the vehicle is left parked on an incline then driven on a flat surface,  the gauge is slow to report the correct fuel level due to buffering.  It can take up to or more than 9 minutes to show the correct level.  An ignition cycle should clear the problem. 

·
Registered
183 Posts

JimDandy said:
There are presently two known issues related to fuel gauge accuracy. One is a cold climate (below freezing) issue which requires replacing the sender in the tank with an updated unit due to the potential for ice formation on a moving part.

The other is said to be a calibration issue. Engineering is working on a new calibration. Apparently, if the vehicle is left parked on an incline then driven on a flat surface, the gauge is slow to report the correct fuel level due to buffering. It can take up to or more than 9 minutes to show the correct level. An ignition cycle should clear the problem.
Thanks for the info. I've noticed this as well, since my driveway has a slight incline.

·
Registered
322 Posts

Added poll...

Adam

·
Registered
380 Posts

Not an issue here, gauge seems to work fine :eek:

·
Registered
752 Posts

I park on a slight incline - my gauge is always off about 2 lines. After driving a while, it corrects itself. If I turn the engine off at the stop light. It will come back with an accurate reading. Overall, if the car has been parked flat, the gauge seems to be within one half gallon on fillups.

·
Registered
497 Posts

I don't have this problem. Keep in mind that fuel level changes when the fuel system pressurizes after starting the vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts

Nice one Acadia4VA-WV...always hear the fuel pump starting up; never thought about it affecting the tank pressure/fuel level reading!

·
Registered
487 Posts

Sandman, I like what we find out about people on here, seriously you shut the vehicle of at an intersection. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
752 Posts

Hey, if you had to pay for gas what we do in California, you would to :angryfire:

Actually, I have a bad habit of curiosity, which can strike in weird places. At a long stop light, I got curious.

·
Registered
487 Posts

sandman said:
Hey, if you had to pay for gas what we do in California, you would to :angryfire:

Actually, I have a bad habit of curiosity, which can strike in weird places. At a long stop light, I got curious.
I've been curious at a stoplight before to but, I was only curious if I could get a short nap in, turns out there's a great alarm clock in the car behind you. :banghead:

·
Registered
306 Posts

sandman said:
How much is regular grade gas in California?

I paid $2.31/gal in Va and $2.59/gal in Florida recently.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I paid $3.10 last week in Long Beach when I was at the dealer. That seemed to be one of the cheaper prices around than.

·
Registered
306 Posts

OK, You Californians do have my sympathy!

Now that I think about it, when I had to travel to San Jose and San Fransico, gas was significantly higher than back here in Va--I didn't mind though--I was using a Government credit card then to pay for gas while traveling on business.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts

My DIC was saying Low Fuel Level since yesterday. So today after work I stopped to fill it up for our road trip tonight. It took just shy of 19 gallons. The needle was below the E. Does this mean we have a 3 gallon reserve on our tanks after the Fuel Low comes on? That seems like a lot. I think my Vue only had 1 extra gallon after saying my fuel was low.

·
Registered
487 Posts

Web Raven said:
My DIC was saying Low Fuel Level since yesterday. So today after work I stopped to fill it up for our road trip tonight. It took just shy of 19 gallons. The needle was below the E. Does this mean we have a 3 gallon reserve on our tanks after the Fuel Low comes on? That seems like a lot. I think my Vue only had 1 extra gallon after saying my fuel was low.
The low fuel level on a GM always comes on around 3 gallons, may seem like a lot but in my truck that's only 36-40 miles.

·
Registered
497 Posts

Great to know at what point the low fuel light will come on. That information is NOT in the Acadia owners manual!

·
Registered
497 Posts

I need to recast my vote from early last week. I experienced the fuel guage issue Sunday evening. What's bizarre is what you'll see from the comments below. To me, it's more "odd" than a "problem" but I agree from the postings that it could be a significant issue at the low end of the fuel guage. And, something that shouldn't be happening regularly, at all, or at this magnitude.

Returning to the cabin mid-afternoon, I recall the fuel guage displayed about 3/4 full or so. So, I think, since gas is least expensive on the way home to DC, fill Acadia up on the way. But, when we're ready to leave about 8 pm, I note that upon starting the Acadia, the fuel tank shows full. I recall this thread and decided to watch it systematically.

Here's the sequence. Note that the Acadia fuel guage has 20 ticks on it above Empty. So, realistically, about 1 gal/tick.

Start car: fuel guage shows full (or, really, "fuller than full"; south of the F side of the E-F horizon axis)
About 4.5 minutes into the drive -- down 1 tick
About 7 minutes into the drive -- down 1 more tick
About 10 minutes into the drive -- down 1 more tick
About 13-14 minutes into the drive -- down 1 more tick and settles in.
This transpired over about 10-13 miles going 35 - 45 through back road that was twisty level to rolling to climb through a pass and out of the National Forest.

From there, based on DIC info, the fuel guage is reducing properly on the drive over the mountain and on to Front Royal to get gas, and then does fine the rest of the way home.

However, started Acadia up this morning and she registers full again. Should have been about 3 ticks down from the 65-70 miles from filling the tank to home, driving on freeway at speed. Parked at home in front of the house overnight where it does slope down toward the hood (rear higher than front). Same for where it was parked in the drive at the cabin before leaving to return home. Today it's rather level in my garage at work.

If you've looked at the fuel tank on Acadia, yes, it's plastic (and from other threads here). Looking under Acadia from the rear, the gas tank runs basically to the left of the center driveshaft between the front and rear axles. Makes me wonder a few things. I'm guessing that tank is more like a shallow bathtub--long and not too deep. I wonder if fuel system pressurization takes some time to standardize. And, I wonder if the float or fuel level sensor is near the front of the tank, so that when Acadia is on a downward slope toward the front, it floats to a more full level than it should be.

I can understand it being off after resting on an incline up or down, or being off a bit before the fuel system pressurizes. But, a full 1/4 tank difference??? And taking almost 15 minutes of driving to settle in to the correct fuel level???

1 - 20 of 105 Posts