GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try one on their Acadia? Can you get one with a tether?

I saw one listed on GM's website for the Solstice that should fit, but the tether is probably different.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Re: locking gas cap

Do you have a lot of enemies that want to put sugar in you gas tank? I only ask because I don't know why you would want a locking cap.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I'm not sure that sugar would hurt anything (I think that is a myth). But I do know that people have been stealing gas by siphoning and that would be a good reason to have a locking cap.

·
Registered
428 Posts

While it is unsure if sugar will ruin an engine, it for sure will clog fuel filters and fuel injectors causing expensive repairs to be needed. I read somewhere that the sugar does not dissolve in gasoline and stays in granular form. Needless to say no matter what effects the sugar has on the vehicle it is better to not end up with anything foreign in your fuel.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

In my area, they are going around with rechargable saws, and cutting off catylitic converters. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
533 Posts

Now See, Copper..,

I'd once considered moving to the Chicago area until I learned that! ;)[/color]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

It is happening in the DC area too. One day while we were at work, someone took off catalytic converters from 4 GM SUVs from the work parking lot during the work day. There must be some repair shops willing to pay these thieves for the used ones so they can sell them to others as new. Both the thief and the repair shop make out like bandits.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I am considering one after my coworker, who also has an Acadia, returned to his vehicle after a quick stop at a store to find his fuel door open and his tank drained. He had just enough left to make it across the street to a gas station.

However, I asked about locking gas caps at the auto parts store, and the clerk showed me a Stant cap that fits. But he also relayed a story from another customer that installed a locking cap - the thief punctured his tank.

·
Registered
423 Posts

for the converters, a repair shop wasnt buying them, they were being scrapped out. the cores are valuable. i wouldnt buy a locking cap because i would loose the key. plus a criminal will do whatever they want regaurdless of what precautions you have. my mother had sugar but in her tank once and there were no problems. if you really want to mess with someone, but diesel in their tank. that will get em ;)

·
Registered
487 Posts

Schram said:
for the converters, a repair shop wasnt buying them, they were being scrapped out. the cores are valuable. i wouldnt buy a locking cap because i would loose the key. plus a criminal will do whatever they want regaurdless of what precautions you have. my mother had sugar but in her tank once and there were no problems. if you really want to mess with someone, but diesel in their tank. that will get em ;)
Gotta love this forum, we even learn how to vandalize peoples cars. :blob: :blob: :blob: :blob:

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

GAR said:
I'm not sure that sugar would hurt anything (I think that is a myth). But I do know that people have been stealing gas by siphoning and that would be a good reason to have a locking cap.
:ditto:
Happening in my brothers townhouse community. No garages :eek:hno: :sosad:
Schram said:
for the converters, a repair shop wasnt buying them, they were being scrapped out. the cores are valuable.
Scrap metal shops pay about $ 500 bucks for each catalytic converter.

Schram said:
i wouldnt buy a locking cap because i would loose the key. plus a criminal will do whatever they want regaurdless of what precautions you have. my mother had sugar but in her tank once and there were no problems. if you really want to mess with someone, but diesel in their tank. that will get em ;)
If you are concerned about someone putting something in your gas as revenge, then a locking gas cap may not stop them.
But if you are trying to keep your gas in your tank versus letting someone siphon it out, then a locking cap may help. If a criminal goes into a parking lot or a neighborhood to steal gas. Are they really going to fight a locking gas cap when they can go to your neighbors car that doesn't have one..... If you car is locked, and the one next to you is unlocked, which one do you think a criminal is going to mess with first?????
Simple logic, locking gas cap will deter them away, and on to someone else...

So back on topic to the original question,,,, here is a listing for one on EBAY, he has 16 of them.....
gas caps have to pass a test as part of the emissions in VA, so make sure it works properly before you put it on the car
?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

bonk1313 - I agree with the concept of the thief going after the easier jobs. I just got a call from a friend who had their GPS taken last night out of their truck. It was mounted on the windshield where anyone could see it. It was a warm day yesterday and the window was left down. I doubt they even had to open the car door to steal it. :(

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

GAR said:
bonk1313 - I agree with the concept of the thief going after the easier jobs. I just got a call from a friend who had their GPS taken last night out of their truck. It was mounted on the windshield where anyone could see it. It was a warm day yesterday and the window was left down. I doubt they even had to open the car door to steal it. :(
They should have put GPS on it. :D

The brazenness of the converter thefts amazed me- I've gone through many a bi-metal sawzall blade cutting exhaust pipes, and it is often a challenge to properly lift a vehicle for access. It would be ultimate justice for one to come off the jack while this was underway & perform a slow mechanical asphyxiation. I'd like for the consciousness to last long enough for the victim/owner to return and use that Sam Elliott line from Roadhouse:

Hurts, don't it?

:)

But on a better note, I read that in our former city that gas was under $3/gallon today, it was $3.40 here yesterday! :banana:

·
Registered
533 Posts

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
But on a better note, I read that in our former city that gas was under $3/gallon today, it was $3.40 here yesterday! :banana:
Cheaper gas here is still $3.59 / gal.

Smooth [/color] <><

·
Registered
428 Posts

Here in Baytown which is east of Houston gasoline is down to 2.79 a gallon. :cheers:

·
Registered
264 Posts

I used to work at a GM dealer in the 70's and they had an anti siphon baffel in the tank and you could only get less then a gallon out. Son't know if the acadia has one or not. The gas prices in kansas just dropped again to $2.71 today. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gas cap with lock - what brand should I get?

Any suggestion which brand/model is most convenient for the Acadia?

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts

For $10, a locking gas cap is pretty cheap peace of mind...

Someone could steal your whole car, making the gas cap seem useless. Same can be said for wheel locks. If someone wants it bad enough, they will take drastic measures.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts