GMC Acadia Forum banner

MERGED: IPC Intstrument Panel Cluster/ Display Gauge frozen not working

11K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  bonk1313 
#1 ·
Had a strange thing happen yesterday with all of the dash gauges. Started the truck normally and
happened to look down immediately at the tach..showing about 4000 rpm, speedometer showing 45 mph,
temp 260 degrees, and voltmeter 18 volts, all at idle and at full stop. Fortunatley, the HUD shows 750 rpm
and 0 mph and responds normally. While driving, everything goes up until they peg. Drove the truck several times during the day and no changes. When the truck is off, all guages show about 1/2 scale. This morning,
all back to normal except temp which shows 210 when cold.

BTW, it's a AWD SLT-2. Anyone else had this happen?

#4 ·
Re: Gauges gone wild.

Update....Dealer service dept says haven't seen this before. No fault codes and no evidence
of the failure. All back to normal now. They are looking at me with a strange look when the
tech discovers that the oil life percentage has re-set to 99%. (2600 miles and no oil change yet).
It was around 65% when the gauges went crazy. They tell me to bring if back it happens again.

Very nice and professional but sceptical.

#5 ·

I was driving the other day and my gauges all froze. I came to a complete stop stop and it said I was doing 75 and the tach was at 3200. Temp and volt frozen also. Shut the car off and waited. The were still fronzen with the key out of the ignition. Restarted and they did not move. Called on-star and they ran test and came up with nothing. Drove it home and came out the next day and they are still frozen but had dropped down some. I surn the car off and notice the speed drops about 3 mph. I turn the car on and off about 20 times until the speedo registered zero. Now everything seems to be working again. Really odd.

#6 ·
My Gauges froze

I was driving the other day and my gauges all froze. I came to a complete stop stop and it said I was doing 75 and the tach was at 3200. Temp and volt frozen also. Shut the car off and waited. The were still frozen with the key out of the ignition. Restarted and they did not move. Called on-star and they ran test and came up with nothing. Drove it home and came out the next day and they are still frozen but had dropped down some. I turn the car off and notice the speed drops about 3 mph. I turn the car on and off about 20 times until the speedo registered zero. Now everything seems to be working again. Really odd.

#7 ·
Re: My Gauges froze

I would have taken it back to the dealer when the gauges were still messed up. Something is not right........ :banghead:

#8 ·

my gauages have NOT WORKED at all on several occassions and one of them was at lunch and the dealer was right there so I drove by and let them see the problem and they said "Yep, not working.....huh?
i/ve found that letting the car sit for 30 mins tends to reset everything back to .....normal .

electronics ???..........

#9 ·

#08-08-49-017: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Inoperative, Erratic/Inaccurate Gauge Readings (Reprogram IPC) - (Oct 2, 2008)

Subject: Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Inoperative, Erratic/Inaccurate Gauge Readings (Reprogram IPC)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2008 Chevrolet Malibu (excluding Malibu Classic)
2008 GMC Acadia
2008 Saturn AURA, OUTLOOK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment that the instrument gauges appear to be erratic/inaccurate or are inoperative.

This condition may be intermittent and occur over one or multiple ignition cycles, eventually resetting itself.

Cause
A software anomaly within the IPC allows the microprocessor to lose communication with the gauge temporarily.

Correction
Do This - Reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

Don't Do This - Do not replace the instrument panel cluster (IPC).

A revised calibration has been developed to correct this condition. Technicians are to reprogram the instrument panel cluster (IPC) using SPS with the latest software available on TIS2WEB. Refer to the Service Programming System (SPS) procedures in SI. As always make sure your Tech 2® is updated with the latest software version.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N4199
Instrument Panel Cluster Reprogramming with SPS
Use Published Labor Operation Time

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.