• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Thank you for this valuable forum...it's been a great help...I'm seriously considering buying a new 2007 Acadia and have been doing some research, visiting various forums, review sites (Yahoo, MSN, Edmunds, etc) and found the following troubling review:

WARNING: Car is rusted before you get it home
by FL from Ft Lauderdale, Fl (3/16/07)
Cons: Look underneath before you buy

WARNING: I bought a new 2007 GMC Acadia and when I got it home the whole exhaust system and muffler system were all rusted. I went to another dealership and found their new cars still on the lot all rusted underneath too. GMC if offering to replace the system as needed; however, it seems like this is a big problem since no other new cars are rusted out on show room floors. GM still can't seem to get it together and provide satisfactory customer assistance on their rust buckets.

autos.yahoo.com/gmc_acadia-reviews_user/;_ylt=Ag1zkWuwHxPZWJaWVLC7.2v3iNIF?sort=mr&modelid=5147&start=1&show=atf&reviewid=6&reviewnum=2&trimid=20935

Has anyone else experienced this problem ?? Anyone else look under their Acadia?

Appreciate your help in advance. Take care...

TS

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: Rust Problem ??

Have not seen the problem or heard about it but while I was seaching for an Acadia to purchase I was told by two dealers in NE PA that Acadias in the pipeline tha tthey had ordered and were waiting for delivery had been iced in at a distribution point (somewhere up north - NY or OH) they were literally iced in and had to thaw out before they could be loaded on trucks for delivery, not one new Acadia in showrooms for 2 weeks??? This was after the snow/ice storm in the Northeast on Valentines Day - might be worthwhile to look under your new Acadias to take a look.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Yep...noticed it this morning when got the newspaper from under edge of vehicle.

Took delivery on Saturday.....day after snow/ice storm......vehicle arrived on lot on week prior......rust on muffler and tail pipe.....all along joints....may need to give dealer a call.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Yike!!
Looked at my Acadia (production tag reads 12/06, picked up 2/28/07) and the above post is dead on correct!!
If this is supposed to be a stainless steel exhaust system (which is pretty much standard on any decent vehicle currently) GM is going to bite a big one on this recall.
It appears to me that their is severe steel contamination on the stainless, probably from the subcontractor that built/assembled the exhaust system, using handling tools for both steel and stainless steel without segregating them. The back muffler/cats are rusted severely all around the joints, there is surface rust (it will go through the pipe at some point in time) on the main exhaust pipe coming back to the "Y"; the chrome muffler tips are welded on to the ss pipes in the crudest weld job I have ever seen, just globs! :banghead:
Basically for what is supposed to be a new vehicle the amount of rust is a disgrace :angryfire:
The alternate explanation is that there was some sort of flood in the holding yards and a bunch of salt laced water froze up around the exhaust system and probably ruined the catalytic converters?
I have no clue what it will cost to replace this from the engine back but it won't be cheap! I suggest this forum create some notice on this and get the word out. If I am right about a bad subcontractor, then GM needs to know before more are made. If they shipped a batch of "flood cars" with no investigation then they need to know that as well.
Does anybody have the material specifications on the exhaust system?

·
Registered
48 Posts

optionstrail said:
Yep...noticed it this morning when got the newspaper from under edge of vehicle.

Took delivery on Saturday.....day after snow/ice storm......vehicle arrived on lot on week prior......rust on muffler and tail pipe.....all along joints....may need to give dealer a call.
Here's a look:

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts

optionstrail,
Have you had any feedback from dealer? I have sent along a note to them to contact GM, as well I went on GM owners site and advised them. I am used to no rust on a stainless exhaust system, my Fords have had no issue for years, they outlast the car.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see GM's comments. I have not been able to confirm the whole exhaust system is stainless, although I would expect it to be in a vehicle in the Acadia price range. Detailed specs do not appear in Acadia GM site, nor Edmunds or Kelly, probably since it is taken for granted anymore! :angryfire:

·
Registered
48 Posts

jrc50 said:
optionstrail,
Have you had any feedback from dealer? I have sent along a note to them to contact GM, as well I went on GM owners site and advised them. I am used to no rust on a stainless exhaust system, my Fords have had no issue for years, they outlast the car.
Anyway, it will be interesting to see GM's comments. I have not been able to confirm the whole exhaust system is stainless, although I would expect it to be in a vehicle in the Acadia price range. Detailed specs do not appear in Acadia GM site, nor Edmunds or Kelly, probably since it is taken for granted anymore! :angryfire:
I spoke with my salesperson (good guy).....he wanted me to make an appointment with service....he had not heard of or seen any rust issues....i asked him to take an look at the Acadias on his lot, speak to service and get back to me...he's off tomorrow....so we'll talk on thursday and then decide whether i'll bring it in....i just want them to be prepared and well versed before i show up as not to waste everyone's time

·
Registered
31 Posts

I just looked under my acadia to see what gives before writing this. I live in MN and we get plenty of salt and ice and such. I have had mine for a month and a half. I see some discoloration from heat and some oxidation but I am unsure if some of this is not normal on any exposed metal. Some grades of stainless do show signs of oxidation but that does not mean they are going to rust and fall off in short order (take a good look at the oxiidized light poles outside on your city street - they are going to be around a while folks). I couldnt find my magnet (and yes some stainless is magnetic too) to check it out further....but I think everyone should relax a little bit untill some questions get answered. I just think we can cause a big rumor mill to get started with some errant information.

IMO it just seems to me that alot of people on this site over-react to alot of stuff and get an errant ball rolling before digging a bit deeper. I think we all ought to trust the good folks at GM a little bit here and that they probably know a bit about exhuast and rust by now. OK....Im climbing down off my soap box. ;D

·
Registered
100 Posts

OK, I want to stay calm but the next time I visit the dealer, I am looking underneath all his Acadias...and I dang sure will check mine when it comes in.

·
Registered
306 Posts

Mine looks like the phot as well.

·
Registered
487 Posts

I don't have my Acadia yet but when I get a chance I will go look at my truck to see what it looks like, it's 4 yrs old so if it's not rusty I would say there is a problem. It almost looks like whoever welded the exhaust used the wrong kind of filler (stick or wire) when they did the welds. I have always had GM's and never noticed a problem like this so I imagine they will fix the problem if they deem it to be a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

I've moved this to the Problems board. Please check under your Acadia thoroughly before casting your vote in the poll so that we can gauge how serious this issue is accurately.

Thanks,
admin

·
Premium Member
700 Posts

OK, so I crawled under mine tonight. There is discoloration. However, it does not feel like rust and, up close, does not look like rust. I think it's just heat discoloration and not anything unusual or worrisome.

Kelly

·
Registered
34 Posts

I hope that all the owners will take a look and keep reporting back to the rest of us. I'd really like to know how widspread this problem is.

·
Registered
218 Posts

I wouldn't consider this a problem, it looks like some oxydation on mine, not necessiarily rust, probably a combo of heat and elements.

·
Registered
497 Posts

For the love of g-d!
I have to deal with hyperbole, hysteria, and unbelievable misinformation every day in my job with the food industy. Jeez. Pardon my frankness but this is worse than "over the top."

I have been out to look under my 2007 Acadia (build 02/07) and my 2002 VW Cabrio. BOTH have virtually identical coloration on exhasust system parts. Plus, last year, I had to replace the rear half of the VW's exhaust and rear 2nd muffler because of REAL deterioration/rust that had cuased the last bit of tailpipe to separate from the rear 2nd muffler at the joints--no other metal rust through. In the repaired VW, BOTH sections have equal coloration but are 4 years apart. I completely suspect that all of this is perfectly normal oxidation from welding parts and anti-corrosion solutions.

First and foremost, where in any specs for the Acadia does it say that the exhaust system is "stainless steel." I don't believe the exhaust system would be fabricated from stainless steel...too expensive and too heavy.
Second, I cannot believe that GM would make such a mistake in a vehicle that all of us know from real life experience is better than average to excellent.
Third, if it isn't defective, and one or more of us has an isolated problem, it WILL be covered by the warranty.
Fourth, if it is defective, then it WILL be covered by a recall and replaced.

Please folks, let's not overreact about this. Amen to Foggy's earlier comment.
Enough said.

·
Registered
752 Posts

I agree. Try slapping a little navel jelly on it. if it foams a bit. It could be rust. If you then gently spray off the jelly, you should see a difference if its rust. Typically, rust doesn't form overnight.

·
Registered
56 Posts

foggy said:
I just looked under my acadia to see what gives before writing this. I live in MN and we get plenty of salt and ice and such. I have had mine for a month and a half. I see some discoloration from heat and some oxidation but I am unsure if some of this is not normal on any exposed metal. Some grades of stainless do show signs of oxidation but that does not mean they are going to rust and fall off in short order (take a good look at the oxiidized light poles outside on your city street - they are going to be around a while folks). I couldnt find my magnet (and yes some stainless is magnetic too) to check it out further....but I think everyone should relax a little bit untill some questions get answered. I just think we can cause a big rumor mill to get started with some errant information.

IMO it just seems to me that alot of people on this site over-react to alot of stuff and get an errant ball rolling before digging a bit deeper. I think we all ought to trust the good folks at GM a little bit here and that they probably know a bit about exhuast and rust by now. OK....Im climbing down off my soap box. ;D
I agree

·
Registered
487 Posts

Acadia4VA-WV said:
For the love of g-d!
I have to deal with hyperbole, hysteria, and unbelievable misinformation every day in my job with the food industy. Jeez. Pardon my frankness but this is worse than "over the top."

I have been out to look under my 2007 Acadia (build 02/07) and my 2002 VW Cabrio. BOTH have virtually identical coloration on exhasust system parts. Plus, last year, I had to replace the rear half of the VW's exhaust and rear 2nd muffler because of REAL deterioration/rust that had cuased the last bit of tailpipe to separate from the rear 2nd muffler at the joints--no other metal rust through. In the repaired VW, BOTH sections have equal coloration but are 4 years apart. I completely suspect that all of this is perfectly normal oxidation from welding parts and anti-corrosion solutions.

First and foremost, where in any specs for the Acadia does it say that the exhaust system is "stainless steel." I don't believe the exhaust system would be fabricated from stainless steel...too expensive and too heavy.
Second, I cannot believe that GM would make such a mistake in a vehicle that all of us know from real life experience is better than average to excellent.
Third, if it isn't defective, and one or more of us has an isolated problem, it WILL be covered by the warranty.
Fourth, if it is defective, then it WILL be covered by a recall and replaced.

Please folks, let's not overreact about this. Amen to Foggy's earlier comment.
Enough said.
Holly crap dude you better sell your VW >:D Just kidding I was just trying to give you the same reaction everyone gives when there is something wrong with a GM vehicle. I still will never understand why when GM has a recall people flip out but if Honda has a recall people just say well that's how cars are they have problems sometimes. I bet all the people that are flipping out have never had a GM car and thus nit pick every little thing because their Honda/Toyota brain washed. My dad had a 99 Honda Accord that was in the shop for serious problems 6 or so times in the first year, needless to say that was traded for an SRX that hasn't been in the shop for 4 years.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts