GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wasted most of my evening tonight looking for a switched auxillary power feed to permanently install a navigation system. I don't want to use a powerpoint as it is hot all the time. If anyone has tried to change an interior fuse, it is an absolute joke. The fuse block is over the passengers toes and almost impossible to pull a fuse ling on your back with a flashlight. If a fuse ever blows on the road you are in a world of hurt trying to replace it. Anyway every fuse I tried to tap into was hot all the time. Any ideas were to find a key on hot power wire to tap into? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Interior Auxillary Power

While I am no help to you at this particular moment as I am in the same boat as you (need a 12 volt switched for Parrot Bluetooth kit), I will say when I looked at the fuse panel I was shocked. What idiot at GM designed that fuse panel should be shot! I am sure I will run into more, but this is the first thing I hate about my Acadia.

Anyway, just wanted to vent... If I find anything I will write back, but I have another issue and wont be back into the dash for a week or so.

Dave.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interior Auxillary Power

I posted this in the tech area but thought there might be more feedfack in this section. I have been looking for a key on auxillary power feed to permanently install a navigation system and radar detector. I don't want to use a powerpoint as it is hot all the time. The fuse block is over the passengers toes and almost impossible to pull a fuse lying on your back with a flashlight. Every fuse I tried to tap into was hot all the time. Any ideas were to find a key on hot power wire to tap into? Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts

I am curious about the solution too -- plan the same type of installation for a Garmin Nuvi. However, just ordered my Acadia last week so I have some time for you (and the members of this forum) to figure it out :)

·
Registered
403 Posts

I'm looking to add a CB at some point...anyone done this yet?

·
Registered
185 Posts

There's got to be an ignition circuit you could tap into. Most people here would probably yell at me, but a tap into the wire from the ignition switch to the radio is usually your best bet for low consumption items. I don;t have my Acadia yet to investigate.

·
Registered
19 Posts

CB? They still have those? I thought that would be like adding an 8 track player to a Porche. Yes you can still get one, but why would you?

Dave...

P.S. Kidding!

P.P.S. I have not looked to see if this is switched or not, but why not tap into the hot on the accessory plug right below the heat / ac controls?

·
Registered
403 Posts

Best fuzz buster on the planet. :thumb: You can tell where the troopers are miles ahead of a radar detector. Also, up here in Maine, with messy weather, they can advise you what roads not to take, lane closures, alternate routes, etc. I agree, it's a bit red-neckish, but it comes in handy. My Yukon had one already installed and I tell you, I can't live without it. Nav and OnStar is great, but the truckers rule the roads and really look out for each other. One time, I remember hearing the guys talk about an alternate route. Turns out, I took it and saved myself eight hours of sitting on the highway. There was a gunman holding off State Police and they shut the entire highway down. I was home watching it on my couch. :beer:

·
Registered
752 Posts

I'm not sure if this will help, but the battery is quite easy to get at being behind the front passenger seat. Wire could be easily hidden under the rugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I believe what Shogun is looking for (and me too when I get my Acadia) is a "switched" fuse -- that is, one which is powered only when ignition is on. Accessories would turn on/off automatically with ignition. There's got to be one in the fuse box somewhere ...

·
Registered
19 Posts

Hey vierenner. Thats why I suggested the accessory plug. Again not sure if it's on all the time so if it's not then you could use the hot from there. Real easy to get to, and if your mounting anything that would be a good spot to grab it. Of course if it can handle the load of both being used? I am not a big accessory plug guy so 9 times out of 10 I wont have two things under load at once. Even then, from looking at the gauge of the cable and the understanding that people might plug heavy loads into it, I assume it will be good. Again all depends on if it's a switch circuit or an always on circuit.

In reference to the fuse panel, have you looked for yours yet? I thought someone was pulling a joke on me when I went looking for it. I then realized that the joke was on me. They actually did put it there, and yes they did make it REAL easy to get too. Did I mention I want to have some one on one time with the engineer would thought that was a good idea?

Dave...

·
Registered
18 Posts

Given the inherent noise using CB radio technology (i.e., AM modulation) I'd be tempted to tap the battery directly. Less "car" noise and no worries about blowing one of them hard-to-reach fuses I've read about!

I've install amateur radio gear in my vehicles and have always grabbed power directly from the battery.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Look in the TECH section FAQ
'Where did gm put the battery" I posted some pictures of the battery and I can see at least one (maybe two?) fusable link(s). What it goes to I have no clue.

Might even be able to pull something off the onstar system in the left luggage area by the jack and stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Berzins, When you refer to the accesssory plug, do you mean the 12V powerpoint in the center panel with the snap cover? If so that is hot all the time. I'm looking for a power source that is only hot when the key is in the run or accessory position. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Has anyone gotten anywhere with finding a switch source? I thought for sure the accessories plug would be switch and I would be able to grab something there, but unfortunately no. While I could tap into every wire looking for 12V, I am not sure that would be productive and or smart. Even the Navi/DVD system is powered all the time (although you can't run it when the engine is off with the exception of the exit delay). Man the frustration level at this point is high. The only other thought I had was to tap into a powered source for now and ad a switch in line to turn it off manually. Not the best solution for sure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave...

·
Registered
19 Posts

I've replied to the message in the tech section, but I am still on the lookout for a switched source. Anyone else find anything?

Dave...

·
Registered
3 Posts

First time poster here

Well I did it. I found an aux 12v switched power source, aka ignition. It took me a total of 8 hours to do what I was doing, but in the process found an aux power wire.

Remove the passenger side kick panel, 3 very easy pop fasteners. There is a large bundle of wires running up the kick panel. Look in the left hand side of the harness for an 18 to 20 awg Pink wire. Try to use a volt meter and not a test light when testing for the pink wire so you don't accidently blow something.

Just thought I would share my experience with you

I decide to install a subwoofer and amp to the BOSE system and thought it would be a piece of cake, I am a 17 year veteran of car audio, I've seen and done it all, but this was a challenge. I wanted to wire in a line out converter to the factory sub so that I would have a crossed over signal to my aftermarket amplifier, bass only. After hours of trying to tear apart the center console to reach the factory sub I finally found what I was looking for and realized I didn'd need to remove the center console parts at all. So I then put all back together and tapped into the factory subwoofer speaker wires. Then I spent a ton of time trying to figure out the best way to run a 4 awg power wire out into the hood and then found that the battery is in the back seat. I must say the most challenging part was trying to find an aux switched power to turn the subwoofer amp on and off, again after a couple of hours I found a wire that worked. After everything I went through with this vehicle I think I could do it in my sleep. and in a quarter of the time.

I hope this helps anyone!

·
Registered
752 Posts

Wow :blob: :blob: :blob:
Where did you install the subwoofer. And do you now have two? Or did you replace the factory one. I take it the factory amp didn't have enough ump to powere the sub.
For that matter where did you put the new amp or was it a sub/amp combo?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I installed a sigle 10" sub in a box in the back. A Diamond Audio D310D2. I used am MTX Thunder 225 HO sub amp and installed inside the compartment in the floor in the rear. I left the front BOSE subwoofer alone, it's still hooked up. It's only about a 5" speaker, so the new Diamand sub over powers it anyway. The factory amp in no way could power am aftermarket subwoofer, they just require a ton of power. The truck sounds great, lots of low end to enhance the Highs and mids of the BOSE system.

·
Registered
52 Posts

djmacd said:
First time poster here

Well I did it. I found an aux 12v switched power source, aka ignition. It took me a total of 8 hours to do what I was doing, but in the process found an aux power wire.

Remove the passenger side kick panel, 3 very easy pop fasteners. There is a large bundle of wires running up the kick panel. Look in the left hand side of the harness for an 18 to 20 awg Pink wire. Try to use a volt meter and not a test light when testing for the pink wire so you don't accidently blow something.

Just thought I would share my experience with you

I decide to install a subwoofer and amp to the BOSE system and thought it would be a piece of cake, I am a 17 year veteran of car audio, I've seen and done it all, but this was a challenge. I wanted to wire in a line out converter to the factory sub so that I would have a crossed over signal to my aftermarket amplifier, bass only. After hours of trying to tear apart the center console to reach the factory sub I finally found what I was looking for and realized I didn'd need to remove the center console parts at all. So I then put all back together and tapped into the factory subwoofer speaker wires. Then I spent a ton of time trying to figure out the best way to run a 4 awg power wire out into the hood and then found that the battery is in the back seat. I must say the most challenging part was trying to find an aux switched power to turn the subwoofer amp on and off, again after a couple of hours I found a wire that worked. After everything I went through with this vehicle I think I could do it in my sleep. and in a quarter of the time.

I hope this helps anyone!
Where did you find access to the factory subwoofer wires? I would like to try something as well.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts