GMC Acadia Forum banner

MERGED: How to remove/cover fine scratches from plastic pillars between front and rear windows

38K views 83 replies 24 participants last post by  Chop-chop 
#1 ·
MERGED: How to remove/cover fine scratches from plastic pillars between front and rear windows

Merged threads of same topic[/color]

My wife took the Carbon Black Acadia to the touchless car was yesterday.. and then dried it off w/ some Walmart microfiber cloths. After she finished drying she noticed that the pillars between the windows on the front/rear doors had some "bugs" on them.. and she tried getting them off w/ the wettened microfiber cloths... she succeeded in scratching these black pieces... which I believe are plastic.. was looking at them in the dark. What would be the best way to remove these fine scratches? Plastic polish or some scratch remover meant for paint? I am correct in my assumption that these pieces are plastic?

Oh yeah.. I read her the right act... and I don't think she'll ever be doing anything like this again... but who knows what she'll come up with next?

Thanks in advance...

#3 ·
Re: How to remove fine scratches from pillars between front/rear windows???

Yes.. I've been all over his site several times. But I didn't see anything regarding removing scratches from plastic like on the pillars...

#4 ·

On metal, I have use a product called "KIT" Scratch Out - scratch and swirl remover. It says great for plexiglass and plastic. Kinda of amazing, the swirls just go away.

I would think that since both the metal and plastic have the same paint coats that it should also work on plastic.

I believe that you will find several products that would do the same thing in a good auto parts store.

#5 ·

Ken,

Don't blame the wife...those pillars are soooo soft and scratch like crazy. :angryfire: Since you don't have machine polisher, you can try something like Meguiars plastix with a microfiber covered foam pad.

Apply less than a dime size amount to the pad
Spread the polish over the area using no pressure
after the area is covered apply light pressure and work the polish in until it starts to become translucent
Once it changes consistently remove a small area and inspect.
If scratches or "hazing" is present continue to work the polish in.

Since you are doing this by hand it might take a few times (passes) to remove the scratches and/or hazing (smaller scratches left from the polish).

You should be able to remove most of the scratches, but since you are doing it by hand you might not be able to remove the fine polishing haze.

I have had good luck with Clearkote Vanilla Moose. It's a very light abrasive polish that works well by hand. below is a before and after on a Mini Cooper I detailed using VM by hand:

You can get it at:

http://www.detailedimage.com/
http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/

Good luck!

#6 ·

Thank you very much guys... This is exactly what I was looking for.

Charles.. your work is amazing!!!

#7 ·

paintcarendetailing I accidentally bought the Meguiars ScratchX instead of the PlasticX... but it worked wonderfully. Did the pillars w/ the ScratchX, then meguiars clay bar, then meguiars NXT 2.0. I'm highly impressed. Should the NXT 2.0 be applied in multiple coats?

#8 ·

kbacon said:
paintcarendetailing I accidentally bought the Meguiars ScratchX instead of the PlasticX... but it worked wonderfully. Did the pillars w/ the ScratchX, then meguiars clay bar, then meguiars NXT 2.0. I'm highly impressed. Should the NXT 2.0 be applied in multiple coats?
Good to hear. ScratchX is designed to work by hand...it has small abrasives that break down very fast and works well removing light scratches (if used properly).

You can apply multiple coats of NXT, just allow 12-24hrs between coats.

Glad it worked out for you!

Charles

#9 ·

Picked my Acadia up last Sat. and the black pillers between the side windows had some kind of black tar on it. I tryed to remove it and doing so I left light [haze] scratchs in the black paint. Will your method also work on this black area, or is it just for the body paint?

#10 ·

sle1.. this is the exact same area that I was referring to above. The 2 plastic pieces between the windows on the front and rear side doors. I did search and found that others had the same issues w/ them easily scratching.

#11 ·

Also is there any way to get some light scratches out of the plastic chrome trim? I seem to have gained some scratches most possibly related to my 6 year old son weilding something like a toy knight sword.

#12 ·

Has anyone used this Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze and/or Meguirs ScratchX to remove surface scratches from the black pillars of their Acadia?

I just brought my Acadia home last night, didn't notice the scratches on the black until I got home. :eek: When I was inspecting my Acadia at the dealer I was paying close attention to the paint quality, not the black. :(

I'm sure I can get the dealer to buff this out, but that will only solve the problem this time. Obviously this area of the Acadia is very soft and easily scratchable. I need to find a product that will take away the scatches I have now and prevent more scratches from appearing later. :thumb: I was hoping someone has used one or both of these products for this purpose on their Acadia with success before I buy some of this stuff. ;D

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to what is best to use on the black plastic trim on the bottom half of our Acadias?

#13 ·

tried IBIZ waterless wash and wax today. worked great to get the scratches and haze out.
will keep you posted on how it withstands fingerprints.

Notes:
I'm not connected in any way to this co. &
I borrowed the pic from the 'net

Attachments

#14 ·
How to remove fine scratches from pillars between front/rear windows

I want to know what is safe to use to get the scratches out of my pillars. I was told not to use any polishes as it will remove the clearcoat. I seen a post on here for this topic but all products seem like polishes and what would be a good product to remove the marks and is avaliable in CANADA.

to forum admin: I was advised to start a new topic because the old post was older than 120 days.[/color]

#15 ·
Re: How to remove fine scratches from pillars between front/rear windows

paolom said:
I want to know what is safe to use to get the scratches out of my pillars. I was told not to use any polishes as it will remove the clearcoat. I seen a post on here for this topic but all products seem like polishes and what would be a good product to remove the marks and is avaliable in CANADA.

to forum admin: I was advised to start a new topic because the old post was older than 120 days.[/color]
Take a look at Meguiars ScratchX or Swirl remover. They claim to be safe for clearcoats and seem to work fairly well.

#16 ·

Our pillars are made of plastic. First you shuold try PlastX from Meguiar's. It is specifically formulated for plastic. If that does not work
then you can move up to something more abrasive (stronger) like SwirlX and if not ScratchX.

I used PlastX on another car I own and it worked fine. I'll try to post a pic when I get home later today.

#18 ·

paolom said:
Don't let this deter you from adding to an older thread so long as the topic is the same or similar... makes it easier for members to find things when they search.

The warning is a default setting in the software.

#19 ·

thank you all for the replies.
:-*
I will try to see if I can find PlastX from Meguiar's in Canada at the local autostore.my pillars where all scratched badly since day one courtesy of the dealer.

#20 ·

i have used scratchx and it did not take out the scratches and scuffs left by the dealer on the plastic appliqué pieces. If you find something that does work, please let me know, ive been contemplating ordering replacement pieces. ScratchX works great on the fine scratches that ocasionally show up on the side of the car courtesy someone brushing up against it when its dirty. It was also able to take out the scratches from behind the door handles left by people's finger nails, rings, etc.

#21 ·

Paintcare N' Detailing initially posted the recommendation to use ClearKote Vanilla Moose glaze for those pieces. I ordered some and some white hand polishing pads from Glimmer Glass Detailing:

http://www.glimmerglassdetailing.com/ccswhfoandep.html

Make sure to get the white one that I have linked above. Put about a dime size dot on the end of the pad and give it hell. Go up and down and right to left until the glaze disappears into the plastic. Take a microfiber towel and buff to a nice shine. Trust me, this works. Used it on my Audi allroad, Nissan 350Z, Acadia, etc. The glaze has some very slight abrasives in it that help level the plastic and clear up the scratches. Good luck!

#22 ·

paolom said:
thank you all for the replies.
:-*
I will try to see if I can find PlastX from Meguiar's in Canada at the local autostore.my pillars where all scratched badly since day one courtesy of the dealer.
If you don't find it there try your big box retailers.

PlastX did work out form me but I had to do multiple passes.

Masking for a test spot:

Test Spot: Looks like it's gonna work

Finished look after multiple passes:

#23 ·

Looks great - I actually tried Meguiars Swirl remover last night on my daughter's black Jetta and it works well. Car is relatively new but there were plenty of minor scratches and other marks - this stuff cleared everything away without very much effort.

#25 ·

I use Windex!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.