·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Re: Dog Step for Trailer Receiver

Please let us know. That looks great! We have boxers and our female has issues and it is always a job to try and lift her in.

·
Registered
1 Posts

:angel:

Copperhead...I just want to let you know that I check my page counter and because of you Otto Step has had several hits in the last week that are a direct link to your forum. Thank you for that...also, we made it to our GMC dealer and scoped out this new Acadia...very nice vehicle I must add! We measured the bumper and i really think you will be fine without the extender, I do know now what you were referring to as far as stepping down versus your Great Dane stepping over the step.

When you first start using Otto Step, stand on either site of the step with your dane on a leash, help him to see the step and guide him in through the center of the cargo area...also when getting out, again, stand on both sides of the step so that forces him out the center and using a leash, be sure your dog sees the platform and again uses the step. Dogs are smart, and anything they see as an easier way for them to get up or down they usually use quite naturally...Otto Step is a very firm platform and I'm sure your dog will adapt quite easily.

Thank you for mentioning us on this forum, I'm anxious to see how things go for you...you should be receiving your step by the end of the week!

·
Registered
30 Posts

I was one of those hits for Otto Step. And I ordered one, too. I have two golden retrievers that are around 80 lbs. One of them is very agile and jumps so high he almost hits his head on the ceiling of my Outlook as he gets in. The other one I have to lift in and out - not fun! My Otto Step is on it's way, I can't wait to try it out. Thanks for posting the training instructions.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Copperhead13 said:
This is pretty cool, I just ordered one
for my great dane.

http://www.ottostep.com/index.html

I'll let you know how it works out after I try it.

As big as a great dane is, does he even need a step, figured he could just walk right in, no need to jump. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

That is SO cool! I don't have a dog, but I e-mailed the link to my sisters, they each have golden retrievers. One has two, and the other has three, so this really would help them out.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Looks great. Does anyone know if this will fold up? This way you can leave in, and not have it protruding so far out when not in use?

·
Registered
30 Posts

The Otto step does not fold up. And it can't be left in. There is no hole to stick a hitch pin through.

·
Registered
912 Posts

This looks like a great thing for use when loading and unloading our rooftop box rather than trying to stand in teh back door and fish things in and out.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I may be totally off base here but I don't think so. Most states have a max length that any item can extend beyond the rear bumper, at least at one time that was true. I have been away from that area for some time so I am willing to stand corrected.
Bottom line, I believe that is the main reason the step does not have provision for insertion of a draw bar pin. I also believe it would not be possible to satisfy the majority of potential purchases for some type of fold up mechanism. This leaves the responsibility on the purchaser for removal and storage.
I am not knocking the product, if we still had large dogs I would certainly be interested in it as it solves a problem of many dog owners whose older pets can no longer easily hop up into the vehicle.
Any comments from those still current on these concerns?
BD

·
Registered
381 Posts

I disagree. If you've seen any 4-bike racks -with or without the swing-away or the mounted rear cooler/rack holder, you'd note that the dog step isn't any more rear facing...

For the price, I would rather get the rear rack that folds vertical after use. At least then you wouldn't have to remove it - and it services more than as a dog step.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

Jake_99 said:
I disagree. If you've seen any 4-bike racks -with or without the swing-away or the mounted rear cooler/rack holder, you'd note that the dog step isn't any more rear facing...

For the price, I would rather get the rear rack that folds vertical after use. At least then you wouldn't have to remove it - and it services more than as a dog step.
there is also the large Cooler or luggage rack that mounts on the hitch. And the ones that hold wheelchairs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
dog ramp

Can anyone who has an Acadia and large pets recommend a pet ramp? I have a heavy metal ramp that I've been using for my 2 labs but I'd really like something more flexible and lightweight. Also, has anyone tried the pet barrier to keep them away from the captains chairs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I have been using the Otto Step for a while now, and I like it.
I ended up buying the extension and cutting it down; it seems to
work well with the Acadia and a large dog (Great Dane).
I'll post some pics when this exteme cold weather passes.
This guy looks nice and warm! :angryfire:

·
Registered
87 Posts

Not sure about all states, but most states DO[/color] have laws regarding hitch mounted equipment. Most states have size limits. Some require lights, reflectors, and most if not all, require that the license plate be visible. This doesn't mean that you can't do it, just that most states can use it as an excuse to pull someone over. I have a cargo rack that will fit a cooler, and have not been stopped (YET!!!!!). :blob:

·
Registered
25 Posts

Copperhead, to use the receiver for the step do you have to take off the plastic covering every time?

Also, do you think an older dog would have problems using the Otto step?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: dog ramp

Weathertech sells a great one. It's light weight and it folds in half. Works fine for my elderly 130 pound dog with hip problems.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I usually leave the cover off the hitch receiver if I think I'll use it frequently.
I'm not sure if an older dogs will have problems with the step.
However, even with the step, it is still fairly high for a dog to step down from.
The back end of the Acadia is very high (33" I think), and even with a step,
it's a good drop. Honestly, when my dog gets older, I'll probably invest in a ramp.
One other note, when your dog uses the otto step, you need the hold it in[/color], as it tends
to slide out of the receiver as the dog is jumping up on it.
Hope this helps.
If you have any more questions, just post them!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts