GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying the 2009 Acadia. I know the 2007 and 2008 models have had issues with transmissions which is a big concern. My other concern is that after the bailout GM is still the verge of filing for Chapter 11.

I have 2 questions:
1. For the 2009 owners, have you experienced any issues with your transmission?
2. Does anyone know what would happen to the warranty if GM files for Chapter 11? Should this be a concern?

I would appreciate all your input and knowledge on the subject. I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle within 3 weeks.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: Question on warranty & possible GM filing a Chapter 11

Welcome to the forum.

Our 2009 has not had any issues at all with almost 10K miles on it. The transmission (actually the torque converter) is a little different than what you may be used to. If you read through some of the posts here, you will find that the vehicle will roll back while in drive while stopped on a grade and you let off the brake. This is due to a "loose" converter to allow use of a smaller motor (more fuel economy) in a heavier vehicle.

I'll leave the Chapter 11 question to one that is more knowledgeable. All I know about it is that it does not mean the company is going out of business, but has filed for protection from creditors. As one that watches the price of GM stock, it has done well over the past week or so. The announcement recently that GM did not need to tap the loan due to cost cuts taking effect was seen as really good news.

You can always buy a third party warranty for any new or late model vehicle if this is a concern.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Acadia.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

I think it would depend on what chapter they file for, but I did hear an interview with the CEO of GM who said that if they do need to file for bankruptcy that it would mean liquidation so what would happen to our warranties? Doesn't give me that warm and fuzzy feeling inside....

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

This is one of the best times to get into an Acadia; I was about a month early on mine, but that's OK. Financing options are in the buyer's corner and making deals with dealers is definitely on the buyer's side.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts

Well, GM being an American company...there's NO way warranties would be voided, no matter WHAT happens. They can't leave all those customers out to dry. Now...if it was a foreign company in trouble, and you owned one of them, I would be very worried, because our government wouldn't have to do anything. (one reason I won't own a foreign make...too many unknowns). A "friend of a friend" of mine said they heard that no matter what happens, the GM warranties would be honored. Is that a reliable source? Who knows, but it's good enough for me. It doesn't make logical sense that warranties would not be honored, I think it's just worry that's not needed

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

jeneato1 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying the 2009 Acadia. I know the 2007 and 2008 models have had issues with transmissions which is a big concern.
Just to be clear, there isn't a mechanical problem with the 07-08 transmissions. The "problem" is with owners being unhappy with the transmission programming, which has largely been addressed with software updates. I haven't heard of any complaints with the 09 transmission programming.

There have been problems with sunroofs on the 07s and 08s. Again, I haven't heard of any problems with the sunroofs on any 09s.

These are great familiy vehicles and the majority of owners would likely agree. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

:crazy:

I have an 07 and there was nothing wrong with the trans mechanically; but like other owners I wasn't satisfied with the shifting and updates were available so I had them done and I definitely like the way the trans shifts

Unfortunately the sunroof problem is hit and miss with 07's and 08's. Luckily I haven't had any issues and all recalls/TSB's have been performed. The best way to dodge this bullet is to get an Acadia without roofs.

·
Registered
9 Posts

My 2009 is now 4 months old and has almost 12000 miles on it. It is an awesome vehicle and I am very happy with it. The transmission/drive train works great, is very smooth, and very easy to drive. My best advice to you is the same for both issues you raise.

Don't live in fear. Don't let Obama and his cronies make you a victim. If you want a new Acadia....buy it now and enjoy driving one of the most technically up-to-date vehicles on the market today. You won't be disappointed.

As for the warranty and the possibility that GM might go into bankruptcy, I believe this is a non-isssue and I bought a new Acadia to prove it. GM would be a better company in the long run if they went into chapt. 11 bankruptcy, reorganized in whatever way is necessary to be a stronger company and get rid of the burdensome legacy/healthcare costs. There is too much value in the GM corporation, it's dealer network, it's very good product line, it's technology, etc. to go out of business. They will honor their warranties. One thing you should make sure you do is buy from the strongest dealer you can find as GM may consolidate their dealerships to reduce costs and make the survivors stronger. Hitch your wagon, and the warranty work you might need in the future, to a strong dealer. This is true even if it means you might have to pay a little more. You want to buy from a dealer that is making money.

Good luck and enjoy your new 2009 Acadia.

P.S. The Head Up Display and Back-up camera are really neat, useful options.

·
Registered
131 Posts

Another newbie here - and also at the tail end of considering an Acadia purchase.

Letter of the law, should GM file bankruptcy, they do not HAVE to honor warranties. However, I've been combing countless articles and every auto-industry and bankruptcy expert has stated that the possibility of GM warranties being affected is extremely slim. They already know what their annual costs are to support warranty claims, so would likely allocate the necessary funds to support warranty work on vehicles that have been sold.

Note that the Saab division of GM filed for bankruptcy and warranties are still being honored.

In my view, the biggest challenge will actually be obtaining warranty service if dealerships continue to dry up. It may be quite a drive in order to receive the desired service.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Re: warranties

Anyone else hear this in the news today?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29963390/

What's up with that? Sounds like none of us that bought before March 30th 2009 have a warranty. I called Buick, and they said that's not true, but who do you believe?

Moderator edit
Moved to warranty discussion thread[/color]

·
Registered
111 Posts

jeneato1 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm considering buying the 2009 Acadia. I know the 2007 and 2008 models have had issues with transmissions which is a big concern. My other concern is that after the bailout GM is still the verge of filing for Chapter 11.

I have 2 questions:
1. For the 2009 owners, have you experienced any issues with your transmission?
2. Does anyone know what would happen to the warranty if GM files for Chapter 11? Should this be a concern?

I would appreciate all your input and knowledge on the subject. I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle within 3 weeks.

Thanks.
News reporting today borders on the irresponsible. Bad news is sensationalized as a way to gain viewer market share. And the foreign car advocates exploit the media nonsense to gain market share. I am absolutely confident that GM will emerge from this phase stronger, and better. Have no fear, and have faith in the U.S. Buy the Acadia. My Acadia is two years old in two weeks, and it's been a dream.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Re: warranties

09Enclave said:
Anyone else hear this in the news today?:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29963390/

What's up with that? Sounds like none of us that bought before March 30th 2009 have a warranty. I called Buick, and they said that's not true, but who do you believe?

EDIT
Moved to warranty discussion thread[/color]
It looks like the Uncle Sam is backing the mfr. warranties from 3/30/09 on. Those who bought previously still have warranties as long as GM still honors them. I still think it would be PR suicide if the mfrs decided to wash their hands of the existing warranties if they go into bankruptcy. I know I would never buy another GM vehicle again if they did this.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts

It sounds like before 3/30/09 we are @#$%^&*, if they file that is :bs: :bs: I too will never buy a GM again if my vehicle is'nt warrentied. This could cause mass uproar and there's a good chance some people could get a "beat-down".

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

Us, the taxpayers will be paying for the warranty, not the government. Nothing is free in the US anymore. We will see more taxes in all shapes and forms over the next 4 years, no matter what state you live in. We are surely had!!

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

I really want to believe that GM will honor their past warranties; what a way to drive away customers if they don't.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

jsimms said:
I really want to believe that GM will honor their past warranties; what a way to drive away customers if they don't.
They will either honor them or they will cease to exist. That's why I believe it's almost certain that a bankruptcy court would allow GM to honor them. Even GM's bondholders and the UAW wouldn't oppose honoring the warranties, because they know the company is toast if they don't.

·
Registered
1 Posts

If you finance through GMAC then on the back of your loan contract you should see:

Any holder of this consumer credit contract is subject to all the claims and defenses which the debtor could assert against the seller of goods or services obtained...

That is, if GM goes down the tube, the responsibilities of the warrenty etc would be taken on by GMAC, or whomever they sell your loan to. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

shingle9 said:
If you finance through GMAC then on the back of your loan contract you should see:

Any holder of this consumer credit contract is subject to all the claims and defenses which the debtor could assert against the seller of goods or services obtained...

That is, if GM goes down the tube, the responsibilities of the warrenty etc would be taken on by GMAC, or whomever they sell your loan to. :)
Sorry, but an out of context half-sentence from a financing contract isn't going to convince me. I'd be stunned if any financing company was on the hook for anything warranty-related.

·
Registered
79 Posts

6Sixathome said:
It sounds like before 3/30/09 we are @#$%^&*, if they file that is :bs: :bs: I too will never buy a GM again if my vehicle is'nt warrentied. This could cause mass uproar and there's a good chance some people could get a "beat-down".
6Six....I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Stay tuned..GM is on the ropes after Wagoner being fired and til June 1st to come up w/ a better restructuring plan - could be curtains for the GM giant.

·
Registered
9 Posts

All of this makes interesting reading but you are all ignoring the politics of GM's survival and that is as follows: GM is not going to cease to exist and is not going into regular court-controlled chapter 11 bankruptcy for one simple reason; Barack Obama won't allow it as a payback to the UAW. He will try to use some elements of bankruptcy law in such a way that he can maintain control. He will not allow a federal judge to determine the future of GM's UAW workers and retirees. He is trying to protect the UAW from competition with world labor prices.

It definitely would be best for GM if they would go bankrupt and re-organize but I don't think we will see this happen.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts