GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been viewing the pictures...is the AWD Acadia a bit higher than the FWD version? I saw mostly AWD pictures (profile from side looking from the rear) and the height looks great for an SUV. But is the FWD lower in the rear? I hope not...as I like the height of the AWD but only would need FWD. Don't like low riding SUVs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: Height FWD vs AWD

As far as I know they should be exactly the same. Everything is the same in the suspension.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Height FWD vs AWD

Here check it out for yourself. My Acadia is AWD and the wife's Outlook is FWD. They are exactly the same height.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Acadia AWD vs FWD

I'm looking to purchase an Acadia in the upcoming months. However, I'm torn between buying the FWD version, or the AWD version. I live in MN, so there is definitely snow. However, I currently drive a FWD car, and find getting around to be relatively easy for the most part. I'm not planning on going "off-road" and figure if the roads are that bad, even AWD isn't going to be the "cure-all."

That being said, I'm also looking at the fact that the AWD is ~$3,000 more, and takes your gas mileage down 2 or 3 mpg.

My question is, does anyone live in the an area with lots of snow, and has a FWD model. What are you thoughts - happy with it or wish you would've gotten AWD?

Any input on AWD vs. FWD is greatly appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Acadia AWD vs FWD

I went with AWD. I figured that if I was dumping $30K+ the additional cost would not be that big of a deal. I also figured it would help with resale and some of that cost will be recovered.

As for the gas mileage, the difference is less than 10%, and when I looked at how much that really was, I decided that it was well worth the money as an insurance policy for when we are in bad road conditions.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I was also faced with this decision and ended up going with AWD. We could get by with FWD on the Canadian prairies but felt a little more traction along with much greater resale value(in our climate anyways) was worth it. So far we have impressed with the gas mileage compared to the 06 Buick rendezvous AWD we traded in....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

If you are concerned about poor weather traction, make sure you get the 18" tires as they are by far superior to the 19" in snow and bad weather.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

We have 18 inch tires which are factory mud/snow tire tread, FWD. We have had 80+ inches of snow in our area thus far this year. 21 inches 3 weeks ago. No plowed street in the front of our house and got her to work that morning while I stayed home for the day. Don't know how the 19 inch factory smooth tread design would have done with FWD. Were were on level city streets with some inclines. I keep 40lbs tire pressure to keep the mud/snow tire tread spread/open for snow grip winter season. Went on the other side of town when dropped her off at 8 for breakfast at the truck stop.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I was torn as well, but went the AWD. Our decision was made easier though, as we were looking at used (07) and found an AWD priced the same as FWD, so we went for it. You'll definately make out better in resale with the AWD.

·
Registered
533 Posts

aKadia said:
I was torn as well, but went the AWD. Our decision was made easier though, as we were looking at used (07) and found an AWD priced the same as FWD, so we went for it. You'll definately make out better in resale with the AWD.
Hey "Kadia",

Glad you found something that fit your needs & tastes! I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it!! I think that how well any of us do with FWD or AWD re: resale depends on many factors - such as geographical location, available funds, and none the least - buyer preference.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
57 Posts

Before I began looking for a new car, the only prerequisite was an AWD or 4-Wheel drive vehicle. So basically I built the Acadia around being AWD. And I love it so much.

·
Registered
234 Posts

In reality, the FWD will be just fine but for $2k (plus incremental MPG expense) I am going to get the AWD for the shear piece of mind.

Yeah, it will probably never see the dirt side of any road but...the options there.

Also I find the AWD will be most effective for me for the sole reason my darn driveway has a 20 degree pitch on it and is a pain the few times a year it snows/sleet/ices over.

·
Registered
22 Posts

So has anyone researched or summarized (w/o reading 100 responses), what the true differences in gas mileage would be between a FWD and an AWD. I know the AWD would give me most peace of mind, but don't know if the extra $80/month care payment plus the extra gas mileage is worth it for the 20 times you could need it out of 365 days of the year. I figure 4 months of bad weather, and 1 day a week where you may actually need the AWD....

Man, I'm just torn!!??!!??!!

·
Registered
132 Posts

We've had 120 inches of snow this year, ice and all kinds of bad weather. I have FWD and have had no problems at all getting around and I don't get snow days (911 dispatcher). I originally wanted the AWD but couldn't justify the additional cost or mileage loss for the huge part of the year I don't need AWD. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
14 Posts

jaweichert said:
So has anyone researched or summarized (w/o reading 100 responses), what the true differences in gas mileage would be between a FWD and an AWD. I know the AWD would give me most peace of mind, but don't know if the extra $80/month care payment plus the extra gas mileage is worth it for the 20 times you could need it out of 365 days of the year. I figure 4 months of bad weather, and 1 day a week where you may actually need the AWD....

Man, I'm just torn!!??!!??!!
I know what your saying. If we didn't stumble across this AWD priced the same as the FWD we were looking at, we would have gotten the FWD. The FWD with the stabilitrac will get you through anything you'll ever need to get through, and save you gas along the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts

I am in Chicago and I was torn. I loaded my SLT-2 and the price with FWD was acceptable and with AWD pushing it. I could have done AWD, but might have been inclined to remove features that I have now and use EVERY DAY as opposed to a day or two a year for AWD. So far I have driven my FWD SLT-2 in a few days of moderate snow and it has been excellent. If you drive with a gentle foot you hardly get any tire slip and only once or twice for a second when just leaving a stop sign did I get a traction control message... and the car moved and tracked straight forward despite it. I am very satisfied. Cost no object? Sure AWD... but if you live in a major city or suburb almost anywhere in the nation I think FWD is enough. Live in the sticks of MN, WI, MI etc. and have an uphill drive on an unplowed, unpaved surface, then maybe you need AWD.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I like AWD. You get less torque steer and its just cool. Plus I like snow haha

·
Registered
533 Posts

Canyonblue,

Really agreed with your post! Like many of us, I've been "torn" for months as I shop for my Acadia. I'd love to have the benefits of AWD, and it wouldn't necessarily break the bank. But, I'm practical, and have listened closely to the FWD owners who have sucessfully driven in snow. Snow wouldn't even be an issue for me. Towing a boat off a ramp, mayby, but not snow. However, the frequency of my driving where I'd ultimately need AWD is so small that I cannot justify the extra price, perhaps extra insurance cost (if any), lessor gas mileage, and slight weight increase to the vehicle.

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

Isn't it great that GM gave us the option?!

·
Registered
22 Posts

I'm looking to buy next week, and just thought I would see if anyone had any last minute advice about AWD vs. FWD... I realize AWD is better in the snow (being that I live in MN), but is it necessary. Would love to hear any additional feedback from anyone that has the FWD model (especially those who wish they would've gone to AWD, and why)?

Most people tend to think the FWD is sufficient, and will save about $3000 on purchase price, and some in fuel econcomy.

All thoughts welcome, thanks!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts