GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I listen to the radio while someone in the back watches a DVD? Just got my Acadia today and I can't find anything in the manual about how to set it up. Do the occupants in the back seat have to use the head phones?

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
524 Posts
Re: DVD player and Radio

Yes you can split the system, and I am not sure about the second question, but if you are listening to the radio up front I would think the passengers in the back would want to have the headphones on. By the way, your kids/passengers can use their gaming system in the back seat also.

Dan

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: DVD player and Radio

Yes, the people in the back need the headphones. It works well, we did it on our trip this week and my kids loved it.

You put the DVD in and get it going and then can switch back to the radio by hitting the button to select radio band.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We test drove an Acadia this weekend and brought along a dvd to test the system and keep the kids occupied. My husband fiddled with it while I drove and it seemed like any time he tried to adjust anything like the sound controls the dvd stopped and started over. I imagine he was doing something wrong, but did those of you with the dvd player figure it out pretty easily? I'm not good with manuals - I let my husband read them and then teach me. And I think I found the answer to the other question I had - you can listen to music while the kids watch a movie.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Re: Is the dvd user friendly?

If the disc started over when you changed volume it could be one of to things...

1) Both round buttons on the radio up top control something. The left round button controls pwr/vol. Push to turn on/off and turn left/right for volume. The right round button will change chapters on the disc for you. Maybe he inadvertently was turning that one.

2) If ti was giving an error or skipping around it may have been a disv problem. First, a dirty disc. Second, I have found that the max burn speed of the disc plays a factor. Have better results with 4x speed than 16x speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
DVD Navigation part number

I'm new here. just got my acadia a few days ago. it's an 08 with dvd entertainment in the rear but no navi in the front. now that i've driven it for a couple of days i really wish i had gotten it. anyone know the part numbers? there are some 07 GM Dvd Navigation units on ebay and they look like the ones for the acadia but i don't know if they will be compatitable.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: DVD Navigation part number

poobah said:
I'm new here. just got my acadia a few days ago. it's an 08 with dvd entertainment in the rear but no navi in the front. now that i've driven it for a couple of days i really wish i had gotten it. anyone know the part numbers? there are some 07 GM Dvd Navigation units on ebay and they look like the ones for the acadia but i don't know if they will be compatitable.
Check you state laws and dealer policy. Maybe you can return our vehicle to the dealer and trade up.

If I were you I would be looking at one of the portable units..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: DVD Navigation part number

I'm interested in an answer for this also. I have the rear entertainment in my '07, so the #15940102 seen on eBay sounds like the right one, but I'd like to be sure.

The salesman told me to get an aftermarket, but I'd prefer everything was factory...I'm looking at the rear-view camera from the '08 too...

·
Registered
1 Posts
CAN THE NAV & DVD BE USED SIMULTANEOUSLY?

I AM CONSIDERING PURCHASING THE VEHICLE. SINCE THE NAV IS DVD BASED, CAN YOU STILL PLAY A DVD WHILE USING THE NAV SYSTEM? THX FOR YOUR HELP.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Re: CAN THE NAV & DVD BE USED SIMULTANEOUSLY?

Yes, you can.

Research the DVD ont he site.

When you get the NAV system, the screen pops forward and out. TheNAV DVD gets loaded in there. You then push the screen back into place.

Once in place, you load the movie DVD into the slot on the raio/nav player uptop.

You can't listen to a CD and play a movie DVD at the same time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have replaced the factory 6 disc CD player with the factory DVD radio. The system does NOT play DVD's that play in 5.1 surround sound, since the Acadia WITHOUT FACTORY Rear Seat Enterntainment package, will NOT Work :banghead:. You have to have another amplifier, in order to get 5.1. Since i don't have the FACTORY Monitor in the back, i don't have the access to the Remote, to change the AUDIO from 5.1 to 2.0. If you play a regular DVD, my example was "The Wiggles" :confused: which only plays in 2.0, the DVD plays perfect. :blob:

My stereo guy installed a Peripheral IPOD adapter, but to get the DVD to play through the AUX port is quite a task. Select the BAND XM, then hold the ->SEEK button. It beeps, and allows you to play IPOD, with the ipod screen showing on the radio. To listen to a DVD that starts with 5.1, you must turn the TUNE knob, select AUX IN, and then press the <-SEEK button. Total P.I.T.A. I asked my installer to look for another adapter that would allow me to just press the DVD/AUX button, and listen to the DVD. Does anyone have any OTHER source that they use the AUX button for, other then plugging directly into the front of the radio? If so, do you know how the installer did it / what product they used. :help:

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 Navi/DVD Player into 2008 Acadia?

I'm from Canada and new to the forum.........sure is nice to have all this info on the Acadia's around here.

Anyways its kinda funny because today I purchased a used radio upgrade for an Acadia that I haven't ordered yet! lol I will be ordering a FWD SLT1 with some options.

Okay so I bought an upgraded stereo package for an 07 Acadia that I hope to put into my 08 Acadia. Here is some pics of the unit I'm hoping to put into my 08. (with the help of the dealer I hope)

My acadia won't have the RSE over head DVD player so I don't know what will happen?

Anybody know if the wiring in the 07 and 08 Acadia will be the same and I'll be able get this cool unit installed?

I'm wondering what features will work and which won't?

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Re: 2007 Navi/DVD Player into 2008 Acadia?

Well, one feature that won't work is playing a DVD...this is strictly a CD player...sorry. But, with the navigation software and antenna, it'll work just fine. There's enough information in this forum that it would be a relatively easy change, if you felt like doing it yourself...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: 2007 Navi/DVD Player into 2008 Acadia?

Yes that makes sense and thats why there is no DVD, DTS etc silkscreening on the faceplate of the unit I guess. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm happy because I didn't want the DVD option anyways so thats good.

I should have no problem installing the unit but was told I would have to go to the dealer to program the unit.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Radio/DVD Unit Noise

Today I noticed hearing a noise coming from inside the Radio/Dvd unit. It almost sounds like a fan or the Dvd Nav disc spinning. I ejected the disc and the noise continued. Does anyone know if there is a cooling fan inside the unit. It happenned again today after driving for about 20 min.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Radio/DVD Unit Noise

I've noticed the same noise coming from our 08, but it has stopped in the past when I ejected the DVD. I don't know what it would possibly need to be doing when the power is off to the car anyway, but I just forget about it since the noise stops when I eject it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: Radio/DVD Unit Noise

Both my 07 Grand Prix and the 08 Acadia make this kind of noise. Typically I notice it when I open the door to get in. It is almost like they are spinning up a fan in anticipation of the vehicle being turned on. I know that my AC Delco radio in my old Blazer turns on after I have been running it for a while. Probably a cooling feature to protect the unit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
DVD/Radio

Just by accident I found out that you can watch a DVD and listen to the radio up front at the same time. My 19 month old was watched a DVD and we decided to switch over to XM and I looked back and the DVD was still playing just without any sound. Now my daughter can watch a DVD and we can listen to the radio. Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: DVD/Radio

Yes! Also, If you can get her to wear the headphones, she can listen to the DVD while you are listening to your radio or XM or CD. Look in the manual, it explains all the audio/video features. It really hepls not to have to listen to the same DVD over and over

1 - 20 of 51 Posts