GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while and I hope you all are doing well. Well, I finally bought a navigation unit off e-bay out of an 09' and also go the nav antenna from GM direct and had it installed. Everything is fine except one thing. The unit I bought is the version that plays DVD's but my Acadia did not have the single DVD entertainment option, I went with the headrest units instead. I noticed when I played a movie on it, one of the character voices is missing. In other words, most of the audio from what I can tell is there (and sounds great), but one guy would be moving his mouth but no sound. Can anyone think of a cause for this? Some possibilities I thought of were A) are there more speakers in the model with the roof mounted DVD system accounting for an additional speaker channel that mine doesn't have? B) In the installation of the Nav unit, could a speaker have been unplugged? C) Could possibly something be wrong in the radio not putting out all the channels of voice sound?

For reference, when the dealer had the dash apart, I did actually see the speaker mounted in the center of the dash ahead of the pop up storage compartment. Isn't that one primarily a voice channel?

Thanks for any tips, I didnt see this issue addressed in any other threads I looked in.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Re: Nav Upgrade question

This oughta be good; I am interested to see how this turns out

I have the single DVD option; no nav. I wouldn't think there are additional speakers in the system. If you can hear audio from the DVD, then the speakers are working; maybe the replacement nav unit has some problems with the audio. Is the problem isolated to DVD's or do you notice any other problems with audio?

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Alpha,
The center speaker from what I've read is the subwoofer; if you have this, you have the deluxe 5.1 sound system. It does not make sense you can hear some audio but not voices. Have you tried another DVD? Where are you putting in the DVD? The slot behind the face is only for the nav disk. If you bought a unit for use w/o the Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) it is not supposed to play DVDs (they look identical). They are played directly from the headrests.

I'll look for some reference material on identifying these. If you have the part number from GM Parts Direct it can be identified that way.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

I bet that's it; good call Blue

·
Registered
100 Posts
Re: Rear overhead factory DVD issue

I have another issue that I noticed today also with the dvd player. If you are playing a dvd and shut the engine off and then restart the car, the center channel audio for the voices does not come back. All of the background audio still works. Has anyone else seen this problem?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Blue,

The Nav unit I have actually has the DVD logo in the lower corner on the front which CD only units do not have. There are no other sound issues whatsoever, everything music-wise sounds awesome. I am using the regular CD/DVD slot not the one behind the screen. And I do need to check out some other DVDs to see if it occurs on others too, but I havent had the chance yet. So that center speaker on the dash is the sub-woofer? I thought someone said it was located down inside the center console under the armrest or shifter, but I may have misunderstood. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Alpha,
I think you are right about the speaker- it is advertised as a 5.1 system so there should be a center speaker in the front. The subwoofer should be lower in the vehicle. Anyone have a schematic? Where is our on the ball parts/illustration guy tmundal?

Since you paid for the install, I'd let the dealer sort it out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

And one good thing, I got er' done for a fairly decent price. $599 for the nav, which IS from an 09', $55 for the antenna, and $120 for the install. I just played another DVD and didn't notice any voice omissions, so who knows.

Hey, how many speakers are there in these things? I read on the GMC site about a 10 speaker system but that was with the DVD entertainment system. I will have to see if I have that many in mine.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

GM can get flaky on speaker counting. My Trans Am had some really high number of speakers (8 or 10?)listed in the sales info. I counted the openings when I replaced the speakers & added a CD changer. There are two in the doors, two in the rear seal area, and two in the hatch area (possibly two tweeter opening back there also- can't remember right now). I found they were counting tweeters as speakers, some were in the same opening as the regular speaker.

Also, check out this thread, it sounds similar to what you are describing:
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=405.0

·
Registered
87 Posts

This is just a thought, but do all the DVD Entertainment systems use the BOSE system? Being you don't have the BOSE (I assume) could you have less speakers? This is just a thought at how you could be missing some voices. Good luck, and let us know.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

biggs4040 said:
This is just a thought, but do all the DVD Entertainment systems use the BOSE system? Being you don't have the BOSE (I assume) could you have less speakers? This is just a thought at how you could be missing some voices. Good luck, and let us know.
Well that brings me to another question, If your door speakers say "Bose" does that mean that you have the 10 speaker advanced audio system? I think that I DO have the advanced Bose sound system because my front door speaker grills say "Bose" and its an SLT-1. But I was wondering if maybe it wasn't. I will count the speakers and let ya know.

·
Registered
87 Posts

If the speakers say BOSE, you've got it. Now, does the new Nav unit say BOSE? May not have enough outputs?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well the Nav unit is a factory unit from out of 09 that was the version that had the DVD entertainment option (flip down from the roof) so it doesn't say Bose, but that's ok, they don't say it. It only says DVD in the corner.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok you Techies out there, here is the latest.

Apparently even though I dont have the DVD entertainment option, I do have the advanced Bose 10 speaker system. Here is the count 2 tweeters in the a-pillars, 2 speakers in the front doors, 2 -rear doors, 2 in third row, 1 in the dash center, 1 subwoofer somewhere.
I put in a newer movie with the Hi-fi Dolby coding, and................NO VOICES AT ALL..... So what do you think that is??? My guess is that the center dash speaker is for dialogue or voices in movies. So either a speaker wire was knocked loose upon dealer installing it or the Nav radio has a problem....I will keep you posted as to what happens from here....to be continued...

·
Registered
12 Posts

Alpha,

In the Enclave, with the Bose Advanced 10-speaker system, the sub is located in the dashboard console on the passenger's side. Look down by where the front passengers left foot would rest - you should see a grill cover, almost below the gear shift knob - that's it. I would guess that location is the same in all Lambda's.

Here is small picture. Look at post #16 - first picture. Click on it to enlarge it:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1101.0

Better yet, here is a link from someone installing a sub in the factory location:
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2606.0

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DVD Center Channel Issue - Can't hear voices when playing a DVD

I just started having the DVD no sound out of the center channel issue and blank screen issue. This only started after the dealership replaced the orginal Nav/DVD head unit because it would not eject the DVD disc. The DVD does not play the voices on the DVD but the wireless head phones work properly and if you press the "on" button on the rear entertainment center the voices play in the front speakers only. I took my Acadia to the dealership yesterday, their tech was clueless on the issue and had no idea where to begin. After walking them through everything I read on these forums and the troubleshooting steps I did on my own, they found an internal bulletin on the center channel issue, it said the fix was run an update to the latest sw/firmware. Any bets on if this fixed it???

It did NOT so now back to square 1. At this time GMC is telling the dealership it's not a hw issue with the head unit but a possible issue between it and the rear entertainment center since the work-around is to press the on-button on the rear entertainment center but after doing that the voices only play through the front speakers only and the kids complain they can't hear it regardless. GMC has NO idea what is causing this and it's a joke for them to not have a fix by now since I see that people have had this issue for quite some time.

I'll be sure to post more as I continue to speak with the dealership.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Re: DVD Center Channel Issue - Can't hear voices when playing a DVD