GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Acadia doesnt need front brakes yet, but I want to buy Cross drilled rotors, or a big brake kit of some sort for it. Anyone have any info? Sites? My attempts at ebay and google have come up short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

lewisra said:
Why do I want these? ???
You get a much better bite and stopping power with far less wear and less heat generated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

lewisra said:
Why do I want these? ???
They look cool.... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

GeoHawk said:
lewisra said:
Why do I want these? ???
They look cool.... ;)
Yes that is also a bonus with the rotors especially if you add a nice set of Brembo calipers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

It has been reported (and seems logical) that drilling actually weakens the rotors and makes them more susceptible to cracking. From what I've read slotting is generally preferred for high performance (track) applications. Interestingly, most track composition brake pads don't work well on the street since they don't get hot enough.

Here is some related info:
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Brakes/BrakeRotors.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070324182959AA4S6xp
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277337

I have a variety of all of these, drilled on my Toyota, slotted on the Trans Am, and vented/solid on the BMW and everything else. I really don't see this as being needed for street driven vehicles.

So are we Team Acadia now? Is someone working on a NASCAR version? BAJA 1000?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
It has been reported (and seems logical) that drilling actually weakens the rotors and makes them more susceptible to cracking. From what I've read slotting is generally preferred for high performance (track) applications. Interestingly, most track composition brake pads don't work well on the street since they don't get hot enough.

Here is some related info:
http://flashoffroad.com/Maintenance/Brakes/BrakeRotors.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070324182959AA4S6xp
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277337

I have a variety of all of these, drilled on my Toyota, slotted on the Trans Am, and vented/solid on the BMW and everything else. I really don't see this as being needed for street driven vehicles.

So are we Team Acadia now? Is someone working on a NASCAR version? BAJA 1000?
Well I will put up my new acadia if somone wants to put up the cash for the Baja components LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,929 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

teetertotter said:
DSNY FN said:
So I was doing some digging tonight and found a company that sells a set of crossdrilled front rotors for our Acadias.

http://www.yourhotcar.com/product/list/2008/GMC/Acadia/Brakes/Brake_Rotors
Go for it if that is on your menu! Me, I am not a race car driver. What will your stopping distance be reduced by over the stock rotors and pads on my Acadia?
Well if I can find a set of Brembo calipers to go along with the new disks I may verywell do the upgrade I mean really what is 1500 bucks in the grand scheme of things when it comes to braking LOL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
381 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

DSNY FN said:
lewisra said:
Why do I want these? ???
You get a much better bite and stopping power with far less wear and less heat generated.
I'm not buying the logic. Air does not provide more friction. Less heat generation maybe, but negligible difference for vehicles on a "trackless" driving environment...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

I agree that the logic seems flawed. If some holes benefit that much, I'm thinking that GM would have drilled them in the first place. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

GAR said:
I agree that the logic seems flawed. If some holes benefit that much, I'm thinking that GM would have drilled them in the first place. :)
Just look at a set of rotors on any sportbike. On my race bike I ran a vented and drilled set of front rotors on my CBR street bike I ran the stock set of drilled rotors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

Jake_99 said:
DSNY FN said:
lewisra said:
Why do I want these? ???
You get a much better bite and stopping power with far less wear and less heat generated.
I'm not buying the logic. Air does not provide more friction. Less heat generation maybe, but negligible difference for vehicles on a "trackless" driving environment...
I have read that vented rotors help release the gases that are generated from the brake pads. The theory is that a thin layer of gas can get trapped between the rotor and the pad and reduce the friction. Similar to your statement, gas does not provide more friction. The slot in the rotor is supposed to help remove the gases. Slots are reported to be more efficent than holes for this process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
484 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

GAR said:
I agree that the logic seems flawed. If some holes benefit that much, I'm thinking that GM would have drilled them in the first place. :)
The bean counters at GM make sure that GM doesn't spend any more than it has to. Solid rotors work fine, not worth the extra cost to GM to add and upgraded rotor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

I contacted Brembo but they do not have a brake kit for our vehicle well the 09 anyhow but if and when they do the pricing will be roughly 3K Canadian to replace all 4 stoppers rotors and calipers. Man I am leaning towards this if they ever get to doing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
487 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

IMO Slotted and/or Drilled rotors should be left for performance cars. They may reduce your stopping distance by a foot or two but that's about it. Slotted and Drilled rotors do help dissipate heat better but if your brakes are getting that hot and you need to get them cooled off fast you probably shouldn't be driving an Acadia and you shouldn't be driving on public roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
912 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

coloradoGM said:
IMO Slotted and/or Drilled rotors should be left for performance cars. They may reduce your stopping distance by a foot or two but that's about it. Slotted and Drilled rotors do help dissipate heat better but if your brakes are getting that hot and you need to get them cooled off fast you probably shouldn't be driving an Acadia and you shouldn't be driving on public roads.
LOL I tend to drive like I used to race my motorcycle no not really as my cargo is far to precious having my 4 kids in teh vehicle with me most of the time. I just want a wicked awesome set of Brembos on my Acadia for the cool factor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Re: Cross Drilled Rotors

If you don't mind me asking why would you want to go bigger and crossed drilled?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
Re: Vented and drilled front rotors

DSNY FN said:
LOL I tend to drive like I used to race my motorcycle no not really as my cargo is far to precious having my 4 kids in teh vehicle with me most of the time. I just want a wicked awesome set of Brembos on my Acadia for the cool factor[/color].
When I think of Canada I think of cool. Even downright cold. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top