GMC Acadia Forum banner

Are you experiencing this problem?

1 - 20 of 557 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bonk1313 said:
Took Mod controls here.. I added 3 new selections for the poll, so anyone that has had this problem please come update your vote... Please vote indicating what year your Lambda (acadia, outlook, enclave, traverse) is if you had a dead battery issue.[/color]
I have a 2 month old Acadia AWD with 4500 miles which has been perfect until I tried to start it today after it had been garaged and unstarted for 9 consecutive days. It had a completely dead battery. Nothing had been left on. I charged it and it is OK again. Thanks to this forum's archieves I was able to locate and inspect the battery; it looks fine to my unschooled eye. I will schedule a visit to the dealer, but has anyone else had a similar experience or care to offer advice ? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: Dead Battery

About a week ago, someone posted a pdf file of the march or april service bulletins with these vehicles. I saved it on my work computer and don't have it in front of me but if I remember correctly, there were several issues with dead batteries caused by various components. I did a quick search here and couldn't find the link but your dealer will have access to it.

·
Registered
405 Posts

Onstar reccommends starting your vehicle every 48 hours even if you dont drive it, it still needs to be started because you could not track it after two days of inactivity. The onstar is always demanding power (VERY LITTLE when not using it), but it still is demanding power so that can drain your battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

This is a great site! Thank-you all for your replies (on a Sunday no less). I printed the approppriate SB and will have the dealer investigate and hopefully find the problem - which is probably a slow drain. I will have problems starting the vehicle every 2 days so hopefully that will not be necessary...

·
Registered
66 Posts

Then according to the comments here, it appears that if you park at the airport and are gone for a week, you would have to expect a dead battery when you return. Can that be correct or did I misunderstand?

·
Registered
88 Posts

tschmut said:
Then according to the comments here, it appears that if you park at the airport and are gone for a week, you would have to expect a dead battery when you return. Can that be correct or did I misunderstand?
I was just thinking the same thing....that doesn't make sense to me. ???

·
Registered
752 Posts

There is a big difference between not being able to track your car after two days of inactivity and not being able to start your car (after how many days?). So, ya we need this cleared up. :banghead:

·
Registered
41 Posts

I ran the radio for awhile yesterday while working in the driveway. When I got in the vehicle about an hour later, the "Battery Saver" message was on the DIC.

You may want to have the dealer make sure the Battery Saver feature is working properly - it is supposed to make sure the battery has enough of a charge to start the vehicle (that's my understanding).

·
Registered
122 Posts

I was out of town recently for 9 days. When I got home first thing I did was drive the Acadia. It fired right up with no hesitation. I would think that if your battery is dying after sitting for that relatively short amount of time, there is a problem somewhere.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

OnStar can't work after your car has been off for 48 hours. If you lock your keys in the car and go on vacation for a week, OnStar cannot unlock your doors for you. Your car will start, unless you have some problem, like an old battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Rollin' Thunder said:
Onstar reccommends starting your vehicle every 48 hours even if you dont drive it, it still needs to be started because you could not track it after two days of inactivity. The onstar is always demanding power (VERY LITTLE when not using it), but it still is demanding power so that can drain your battery.

that's nice info, but that is NOT what the current issue is, something is draining the battery prematurely. it's not likely that people will send someone to start their vehicle for them every 48 hours while it is parked at an airport, etc....

·
Registered
6,695 Posts

Same thing happened to me and and a friend. I had a 2002 Envoy (in NY) and my friend had a 2002 Yukon (in MD). Both vehicles bought new and both of our batteries died after about 6 months and the dealer replaced them under warranty (my friends was replaced twice). Didn't have any problem after that. GM must have gotten a bad batch of batteries. Maybe it happened again!

·
Registered
212 Posts

Something is wrong. I too had a dead battery. As I mentioned in other threads, my wife is in the hospital after having given birth. I've been using my Pilot to go to the hospital because of tight parking there. Yesterday was the big day to pick up my new family and bring em home. Acadia was sitting in the garage for 5 days straight. Sunday morning I try to start and no luck. Dead battery. I had to jump it. All was ok after jumping. My biggest day for the Acadia and it fails to start.

Will have to bring it to the dealer sometime to figure out what's going on.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't one of the early TSB's related to a problem with the airbag system that could potentially drain the battery? Have you had the airbag recall done? I realize it may not apply depending on when your Acadia was built. See this thread:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=353.0

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I've had both the airbag and transmission flash. Actually, when I first picked the vehicle up from the dealer, went home and signed up for OnStar, I received an email telling me I needed the airbag flash. I was irritated and called the dealer service department who checked and confirmed I needed the airbag flash and also told me that I required the transmission flash as well. It shouldn't have been delivered without the computer upgrades... Both flashes were done right away.

Anyway, I am scheduled to go in early tomorrow morning for a service call for a "slow drain of my platform battery". I am not sure how I will verify that it is fixed unless I leave the Acadia unstarted in my garage for 9 days or so. Does anyone have suggestions on how I can verify the problem is fixed without taking my vehicle out of service for such an extended period of time??

·
Registered
395 Posts

If you really have a drain, they should be able to find it. All they need to do is put an amp-meter across each fuse holder (after removing the fuse) until they find the problem circuit. It can take a while but it should find the problem. Hardest to deal with is an intermittant problem- like a wire rubbing and shorting only sometimes. Could also be a bad battery. I've had a Ford dealer tell me over and over again that my battery was fine but if you take it somewhere like Sam's Club or Autozone they can load test the battery. If two separate shops other than the dealer tell you it's a bad battery- it probably is, regardless of what the dealer says.

·
Registered
322 Posts

added poll...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Just by way of followup, the dealer checked and the battery was bad which has got to be better than a slow drain. I also needed two more computer upgrades and they through in a free oil change. I will need to leave the Acadia unstarted for 9 or 10 days to confirm it is fixed, but I am hopeful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dead Battery?

I thought I had seen a topic on this, but now I can't find it. You know the buzz, whine we hear when engine shuts off, for a few seconds. Well yesterday I noticed when I went into the garage, that the acadia was stillm aking that sound. I was doing something else, and paid it no mind. mistake.
The next morning the thing was dead as a doornail and we couldn't even get the key out. Nothing. SO lucky we had a plug in charger and charged it that way. I could see nothing that was on, etc, the only thing I remember was that sound from the day before. ANyone else? Anyone know why? Why also was the key not able to come out when dead?

1 - 20 of 557 Posts