GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM really needs to make sure all of their brochures, websites, etc have the same data.

Just wondering, is the rear climate zone fully and independently automatic? It seemed like to operate like a manual control system when I was sitting in the back of one during our test drive. I know that the rear can sync with the front auto but that doesn't really classify as Tri-zone. I have a manual system in the rear of our Montana and it's a real pain having to adjust it all the time when it gets too hot or too cold after changing the settings to get things to a comfy temperature, especially with our Canadian winter, and when the air direction syncs with the front setting all of the time.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Re: Is is truly "Automatic Tri-Zone" climate control?

if it is not sync with the front auto you need to have it auto ajust back there. also you ajust by having it up to ten degrees warmer or colder (depending on the front setings) from the front contols.

·
Registered
154 Posts

I asked the same question a few months ago, to know how to classify the system on my price comparison site.

The response I got is that the rear isn't truly automatic, as there's no temp sensor back there. Instead, it is based on the selections up front, either the front passenger or an average of the two front temperature settings, plus/minus the setting in back. So it's not entirely manual either.

Semi-automatic?

·
Registered
405 Posts

strange becase this vehicle is newer than my yukon and it has fully automatic temp and were the air blows (head, feet, or both) in front and back.

·
Registered
154 Posts

Yukon sells for a higher price point. And the difference in functionality might not be so large.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

Still, the effect 99% of the time is tri-zone. You can have the driver's side at 70 degrees, the front passenger at 78 degrees and the rear seats at 60 degrees. The only real caveat is the rear control doesn't give an actual temperature reading. Instead it gives a plus/minus reading to compensate for how warm or cold you are. This makes it somewhat difficult to figure out at first, especially for drivers/adults, but I'd guess the "just make it colder/warmer" guide would make a lot of sense to kids and would allow the parents up front to still maintain SOME control over the temps back there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just picked up my 07 Outlook at the dealer after an oil change and the trans flash. Noticed a few things when I picked up the car.

1) the temperature was set differently than when I brought the car in..82 degrees, on manual control (always keep it on auto and 72)

2) when I hit auto, the A/C compressor light came on. I didn't think it automatically did that before the trans update.

3) to test this, I turned off the ac and hit auto again. The A/C came on again. For reference: climate control at 72, external temp at 62.

4) Noticed much more even climate control output on the way home. I've been keeping the A/C off when it's cooler outside, as I was finding that I would get blasts of hot air when the compressor cycled off, and then a blast of cold when it cycled back on again. This was a bit annoying since my previous cars with Auto climate control did not exhibit this sort of behavior.

so what do you think? Am I projecting my wishes onto my outlook, or is something different?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Climate Control Update with Trans Flash?

Can't say for sure but my 08 Outlook built on 8/31 acts like yours does now. Nice to get something fixed and find side benfits as well, isn't it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: Climate Control Update with Trans Flash?

The trans-flash could have had an effect on the auto-climate control. I think GM took the opportunity to fix other things in the software - such as the electronic whining sound I heard after I shut off my engine before the flash.

My auto-climate control, however, has always turned on the air-conditioning light when I hit auto. Maybe you had an earlier build date with older software.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: SLT-1 Driver & Passenger Climate Controls - Details

Can anyone give me some details on use and effectiveness of the driver and passenger climate controls for the SLT-1? This feature was a significant part of me selecting the SLT trim. My wife and I continuously battle on an acceptable cabin temperature when we're in the car. Our Rendezvous had a "kind of" dual zone control: There was a temperature setting for the front row, and the passenger could dial in varying amounts of "warmer than" or "cooler than" whatever the base temperate setting was.

Can each person set their own desired temperature? Unless I put up a piece of plexiglass between us I know I can't keep it totally isolated. But having more control over the current Rendezvous config would be a plus. I'd also be interested in hearing real-world stories from couples who have had these diff temp needs and how well the front row dual-zone system works for you.

Thanks.

j

·
Registered
284 Posts

Yes, you can set a temperature for each side, and based on my experiences, the 2 stay separated and accurate fairly well. GM's dual-zone systems generally are very well done, and functional--love it in our '04 Suburban, and there really is almost an imaginary wall between driver and passenger when in operation.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I find this dual control for the front passengers to be excellent. My wife can dial in warm and I can dial in cold. My side is blowing nice cold air at the same time her side is blowing hot air. It's way better than I expected.

·
Registered
275 Posts

gmloyalist said:
Can anyone give me some details on use and effectiveness of the driver and passenger climate controls for the SLT-1? This feature was a significant part of me selecting the SLT trim. My wife and I continuously battle on an acceptable cabin temperature when we're in the car. Our Rendezvous had a "kind of" dual zone control: There was a temperature setting for the front row, and the passenger could dial in varying amounts of "warmer than" or "cooler than" whatever the base temperate setting was.

Can each person set their own desired temperature? Unless I put up a piece of plexiglass between us I know I can't keep it totally isolated. But having more control over the current Rendezvous config would be a plus. I'd also be interested in hearing real-world stories from couples who have had these diff temp needs and how well the front row dual-zone system works for you.

Thanks.

j
The dual-zone works quite well - I prefer a breezy 20ish degrees celcius, while the wife prefers a warmer 22. The dual-zone is an option on the SLEs as well, FYI.

·
Registered
264 Posts

Yes, i was in the sun and she was not so she wanted to keep turning off the a/c i finally said for her to set her temp higher and leave the a/c alone. It worked great, i could feel warm air from the right side and cold air from my side. I think the rear will work this way also for the setting in the back.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Automatic Climate Control

When I set my system to Climate system to Auto it only blows on the feet. I then end up having to switch to manual to get feet/defrost so I can see out the window because it starts fogging up. Does Auto only go to feet? Can I program it to be feet/defrost or whatever? I read in the manual:

"When AUTO is selected, the display shows the current temperature(s) selected and AUTO is on the display. The current delivery mode and fan speed also display for approximately 5 seconds."

This is true but the mode is always to feet only. How should it work? This way or is something wrong? ???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: Automatic Climate Control

Mine works in the same fashion as you describe. If I just leave it in full auto, then the windows start fogging up very quickly. They really need to change it so that a bit more air blows from the defrosters even when it is on the feet.

To get around this problem, I just set it so that it blows on the feet and defroster. Doing this still lets the system pretty much act like it does in auto mode, it just doesn't automatically move the location around. In other words, it does still change the blower and amount of heat coming out to match the temperature you've set, you are just overriding the location only. Its worked well so far for me this winter. We'll see if that becomes a hassle as we move to spring/summer.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I have just the opposite problem. Full auto seems to direct most air to the windshield while my feet freeze. Maybe the last manually set direction is used in auto mode??

·
Registered
113 Posts

I know it's not the last manual set because I tested that. Very strange

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

My problem is the air conditioner will be on with the heater unless I turn it off. Sometimes it stays off and sometimes it doesn't. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts