GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what we can use to clean/protect the black parts on the exterior? Also, what works on the chrome exterior parts to keep it nice and shiny? Thanks!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Re: Cleaning black parts of exterior and chrome?

Meguiars Plastx works well with any exterior plastic parts.... cant recommend any for the chrome though...

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have used Trim Shine by Stoner and it works well if put on in a warmer area, it dries faster and looks good along with a quick wax on the vehicle, Not much chrome on mine, so I just use a towel to clean it

Danno

·
Registered
84 Posts

For cleaning scuff marks on interior or exterior plastic many people have said the "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" is the best. As for keeping the outside plastic looking good only go with cleaners that protect and don't fade. I've read on here that this is the BEST

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

As you can see it prevents SUN exposure and drying. Which is what makes rubber fade. So using this should keep your outside trim looking dark and black.

As for the external chrome I've always used "Mothers Chrome Polish". Make sure you don't get it on the rubber and if so wipe off quickly with a damp cloth.

·
Registered
100 Posts

I believe most of the chrome on the vehicle is plastic and fake. So, I don't think a standard chrome cleaner is going to help.

·
Registered
84 Posts

JasonM said:
I believe most of the chrome on the vehicle is plastic and fake. So, I don't think a standard chrome cleaner is going to help.
That may be true I think. But the mothers polish would still work putting a coat of protection on it. Better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

I agree 100% with the chrome being fake. It should get the same treatment that the paint does. This goes for the wheels too. For the chrome I use the Zaino products I use on the paint.

I also agree that the magic eraser does wonders for cleaning of scuffs on the black. It works to clean off wax too. For the black I use Zaino's Z-16. I put it on in Sept and the black still looks as deep and dark as the day I put it on and it has never been oily.

I'm sure that there are other good products out there, but my experience is that Zaino's stuff is really good.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts

I agree, 303 is a great product (they also make a great fabric guard for cloth seats too)..It has a UV blocker to help prevent sun damage. It's actually a great protectant for all the rubber door gaskets too.

Clearkote Vanilla Moose is a great product to clean and maintain chrome. It's a cleaner/glaze that works great at restoring and renewing all exterior of the car including paint, chrome & plastic/rubber trim. Whatever you use try to avoid anything that contains mechanical abrasives like- some cleaner waxes, polishes & aluminum polishes. The abrasives in them can scratch the finish of chrome.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Wow, there are so many great product tips here for all different parts of the car, including the interior. In fact, they're overwhelming!

It would be so nice if somehow we could have a table with all the surfaces on the left, with recommended products beside them.

·
Registered
249 Posts

cybergroove said:
Sounds like a task for you Traclavelook
Well, I'd like a new deck in the backyard and a Porsche 911 GT2 as a grocery getter too. One thing at a time. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts

What are you guys using the clean the Black Shiny Plastic between the front and rear doors as well as the little part just aft of the rear doors window?
I've only had my car for a few weeks and noticed right off that those parts looked scratched up, maybe from the dealer. Its also hard to clean and keep clean because your hand touches it when you close the door.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Those panels on mine are scratched to hell too. Only have had the car for a month. I've had mine at the shop twice (once for undercoating and once to replace on of these panels for dents), and when it's there, they wash it. Well, nice of them but they don't detail it the way I would. Each time I've picked it up, I've noticed that they're scratched more. Makes me livid.

·
Registered
50 Posts

well, if just plain washing that part scratches is, then something is wrong.
I'm taking mine back next week to have them look it over.
So they replaced the parts for you?

·
Registered
113 Posts

no....i'm going to call them next week and tell them

·
Registered
207 Posts

If they run it through the car wash that will put scratches in the black paint. Our local one claims softest cloth, scratchless..etc...bunch of bull. My wifes black car came out with fine line scratches all over it. The only car wash I've used that doesn't leave scratches is the high pressure water ones. The problem with them is they don't get the car completely clean but it's better than getting scratched up.

·
Registered
48 Posts

apples said:
Those panels on mine are scratched to hell too. Only have had the car for a month. I've had mine at the shop twice (once for undercoating and once to replace on of these panels for dents), and when it's there, they wash it. Well, nice of them but they don't detail it the way I would. Each time I've picked it up, I've noticed that they're scratched more. Makes me livid.
This are very soft and scratch/swirl very easily. The best thing to do, and only way to prevent them from looking bad, is to not to touch them and use good washing/drying techniques, mitts and towels.

They can be fixed though, a paint polish or a plastic polish works well. Here is a pillar I cleaned up using Clearkote Vanilla Moose with a microfiber covered foam pad by hand.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts