GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

What car seats are you guys using in the 2nd row captain chairs for your little ones. The Britax Marathon we have in my wife's car just doesn't seem to fit well at all in the 2nd row seats because the top of the seat hits the headrest (which of course doesn't move at all :angryfire: ). So there is a huge gap that doesn't seem very safe not to mention it makes it so my little guys feet will be very close to the back of the front seats. So what kids seats are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,
K

p.s. I did search and there are a few threads about car seats, but not much mention of the actual seats that people are using successfully.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Car seats in capt. chairs

We use the Evenflo Triumph for one kid and the Cosco Scenara for the other one. They both fit fine in the captains chairs, though the Evenflo is huge and very heavy. Regardless of how well it fits in the chairs of the Acadia, I wouldn't recommend it unless it is for an infant under 9 months. It has great padding and support for a little one that is just moving out of an infant carrier but once they are big enough to sit up on their own, this car seat isn't worth the pain in the neck that it is.

Just got my Acadia last weekend and we are loving it. My previous 'mobile diaper bag' was a Honda Accord and I can't rave enough about how wonderful it is to have so much room. Now, I have a big 'mobile diaper bag'.

·
Registered
164 Posts

We use a Britax Marathon seat. With all three straps installed and a seat protector pad in place, the car seat does not move and is very secure. We have no issues with the leather creasing or my daughter's feet touching the back of the front seat. Installed this way leaves only a 1/2" gap under the rear most part of the car seat base.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts

We use the Cosco Alpha Omega and it seems to fit well with no extreme forward tilting. My little guy was a huge fan of putting his feet on the back of the passenger seat in front of him, but we were able to stop that mostly by putting the front seat up...and it's not too close to the dash. He also seems to like putting his feet on the door handle and rolling the window down, so thank god for window lock-outs! ;D

There really are no huge gaps at all.

·
Registered
403 Posts

Put down a towel on the bottom of the seat and the front of the seat headrest. If not, the creases will last for weeks. I put a washcloth in between the back of the top of the carseat and the Acadia seat's headrest. Also, you can tilt the seats back a bit if you have a gap between the back of the car seat and the back of the child seat.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Daisy said:
We use the Evenflo Triumph for one kid and the Cosco Scenara for the other one. They both fit fine in the captains chairs, though the Evenflo is huge and very heavy. Regardless of how well it fits in the chairs of the Acadia, I wouldn't recommend it unless it is for an infant under 9 months. It has great padding and support for a little one that is just moving out of an infant carrier but once they are big enough to sit up on their own, this car seat isn't worth the pain in the neck that it is.

Just got my Acadia last weekend and we are loving it. My previous 'mobile diaper bag' was a Honda Accord and I can't rave enough about how wonderful it is to have so much room. Now, I have a big 'mobile diaper bag'.
I know what you mean about a mobile diaper bag. That is how my wife's car has been since our first little guy was born. I previously had a small truck and couldn't put a car seat in it at all due to air bags. I've only had my Acadia for about 2 weeks now and it is slowly getting to be a mobile diaper bag as well. One of the first times we all went for a short drive in the Acadia, my wife gets in and says "here are some tissues, wipes, and baby spoons for your Acadia just in case we need them". ???

Thanks for the feedback on your seats.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

scotted73 said:
We use a Britax Marathon seat. With all three straps installed and a seat protector pad in place, the car seat does not move and is very secure. We have no issues with the leather creasing or my daughter's feet touching the back of the front seat. Installed this way leaves only a 1/2" gap under the rear most part of the car seat base.
Wow, your Marathon looks like it fits good there. When I installed ours, it didn't look anywhere near that good. Did you have to recline the seat a little bit to get it to fit like that? If so, is there still reasonable leg room in the 3rd row behind it?

I guess I'll have to give the one from my wife's car another try since we have really liked it thus far and it is highly rated for safety.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Kloogee said:
Hi All,

What car seats are you guys using in the 2nd row captain chairs for your little ones. The Britax Marathon we have in my wife's car just doesn't seem to fit well at all in the 2nd row seats because the top of the seat hits the headrest (which of course doesn't move at all :angryfire: ). So there is a huge gap that doesn't seem very safe not to mention it makes it so my little guys feet will be very close to the back of the front seats. So what kids seats are you guys using?

Thanks in advance,
K

p.s. I did search and there are a few threads about car seats, but not much mention of the actual seats that people are using successfully.
Take the headrest completely out.

I have a Britax Marathon. I took the headrest off the captain's chair completely and stowed it in the rear storage compartment. Britax fits perfectly that way.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Wow, your Marathon looks like it fits good there. When I installed ours, it didn't look anywhere near that good. Did you have to recline the seat a little bit to get it to fit like that? If so, is there still reasonable leg room in the 3rd row behind it?

I guess I'll have to give the one from my wife's car another try since we have really liked it thus far and it is highly rated for safety.
[/quote]

I did have to recline the seat all the way back. The seat protector, which has a nonslip grip surface, spreads out the pressure from the car seat base and makes up a little bit of the odd fit. The captain's chairs do slide back and forth so leg room is not a problem. We've had two Britax Marathon seats in the captain's chairs and a rear facing seat in the third row with two adults. With the Outlook entirely loaded, no one had issues with legroom or with getting in and out of the third row.

I haven't tried removing the headrest yet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

stiffi,
How did you get the headrest out? When I did a test drive before purchasing, I couldn't figure it out and neither could salesmen at 2 different dealerships.

scotted73,
Thanks, I figured the seat had to be reclined as it just looked completely different than when I had put our seat in there. Unfortunately for the holidays, we are very likely going to need the 3rd row for hauling around extra family from out of town.

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have an Enclave for what its worth but we have a Britax Boulevard in a captains chair. I have piece of foam looks like a swim noodle to have a snug fit in the seat. They sell this foam piece for car seat installs. I have a seat protector for the bottom of the seat and have a cover i believe made by safety-first protecting the back of the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
84 Posts

Kloogee said:
stiffi,
How did you get the headrest out? When I did a test drive before purchasing, I couldn't figure it out and neither could salesmen at 2 different dealerships.

scotted73,
Thanks, I figured the seat had to be reclined as it just looked completely different than when I had put our seat in there. Unfortunately for the holidays, we are very likely going to need the 3rd row for hauling around extra family from out of town.

Thanks.
I'm not sure, but I think you just pull it out. Or there might be a clip along one of the supports.

FYI, I have an Outlook, but I'm pretty sure the seats are identical.

·
Registered
403 Posts

I didn't think they came out either...I tried to anchor my kids seat and I thought the manual showed the rear hook going up and over that headrest, which I thought was stupid, so I just did the ol' seatbelt deal with the carseat.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

Someone showed how to remove the capt chair headrests once, but it basically required a pretty difficult hack. They aren't "designed" to come out or adjust - a HUGE oversight in my opinion.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

admin said:
Someone showed how to remove the capt chair headrests once, but it basically required a pretty difficult hack. They aren't "designed" to come out or adjust - a HUGE oversight in my opinion.
That was my opinion as well when I first tried to put in the car seat on a test drive. I couldn't believe that the headrests aren't adjustable and don't come out. In my wife's car, the headrests are fully adjustable and come right out making installation of the Britax seat very easy.

If anybody has more details on removing the headrest, I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Kloogee said:
If anybody has more details on removing the headrest, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I took my headrest out using this info. I have leather bench seats but it appears to be the same headrest design on captain's chairs and benches.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/[email protected]@.efcecf4/2187

"1) under headrest there are two metal posts each shaft goes into a black plastic grommet.

2) Easier with cloth, but can be done with leather if nervous try on dealer demo and teach them as well. Facing the headrest tackle one post then another.

3) Gently push fabric/leather down metal shaft till you can see a tiny metal c-clip. One might have to tug it side to side to get the clip trough the hole cause clip is larger than the hole. It fits into an indent on the "left edge only" of each post. The clip can spin freely. It is hard to push fabric/stuffing down all this way maybe 3". Use free hand if you have one to open up c-clip with one finger and prop the side up slightly over indent. Now the other side is done with slightly less room to get in there. When you release the other shaft the rest should easily pop out. The flashlight helps you see what is happening unless you got the dual sunroofs.

4) now you can store it in the back or turn it around but it does not now firmly affix because the indents are on the wrong side and the padding doesn't let it insert all the way in. The car seat fits much better now."

·
Registered
403 Posts

Uh, no thanks, I'll take the zero. :help: I agree, they should just come off like in most cars...silly design.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

br1522,
Thanks for passing along those details. I'll have a closer look and see if I want to give it a shot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts