GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone bought the GM remote start upgrade and installed it themselves. It states it comes with two Key Fobs. How are the fobs programmed for this particuliar vehicle ie, rear hatch, doors, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Installing remote start upgrade.

When I purchased my Acadia there were very few options that I cared to have. I wanted the back-up sensors (to be installed next week at dealer) and a remote start. Does anybody know if it's a whole module, just some key-fobs to purchase and program or what? I saw some key-fobs on a GM Parts website and it only says, "RPO code AP8 equipped vehicles Remote Start / Power Lock Upgrade (w/ RPO Code E61)" How do I find out if my Acadia is a RPO Code AP8 equipped vehicle?"

·
Registered
111 Posts

Do you mind me asking how much it was to add the aftermarket back-up sensors?

·
Registered
148 Posts

you can have my backup sensors. I dont use them. Probably the most worthless upgrade on the car, but it was there so whatever.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Went ahead and purchased the remote start upgrade at the dealer for $195.00 The only parts in the kit were the key fobs. The rest was in the programming which they found to be quite difficult. 5 tries with the computer and then when it was finally working, I left and within 1/2 mile, warning lights for everything. They had to reset all and now everything seams fine. If you by from gmparts for the less amount the dealer will probably charge a pricey fee for the programming which is not possible without the computer they have. They didn't charge me for the programming so all in all, minus the time, not bad to get the remote start.

·
Registered
29 Posts

dura_cell said:
Went ahead and purchased the remote start upgrade at the dealer for $195.00 The only parts in the kit were the key fobs. The rest was in the programming which they found to be quite difficult.
No parts for remote start kit? Does that mean that these vehicles are capable of remote start already and just need the proper key fob and programming to make it work?

·
Registered
262 Posts

Follow on question: If I want to get that 2-way remote start system (the one that gives you the longer range and gives you feedback that 'yea verily' your car did start) when it becomes available later in the year, will it be cheaper if I had already gotten an Acadia with the Remote start package? i.e., less parts to install for that system b/c it will piggy-back on a part or 2 from the already-installed system?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Yes, absolutely no other parts that the key fobs to upgrade to the remote start. I watched them spend a lot of time with the programming machine attached but no other parts. I had purchased the remote upgrade separatly from the parts dept. so I actually had the kit before the service dept and the only thing was the two fobs and some programming instructions which absolutely require their computer.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Regarding the two way remote start with the screen on the fobs. I believe I read that it will require another part installed in the vehicle to accomodate it. I don't know for sure, but I imagine once it is available, I believe later in August that it will require more, I heard rumors it was going to be somewhat pricey. I don't think it would matter if you go ahead and get the remote upgrade or not unless there is something specific to it. I believe all gm's pretty much can be upgraded to remote start as it is the computer that does it.

·
Registered
40 Posts

The remote start MUST be installed at the dealer.
The kit contains two updated key fobs and an update label for the SPID/RPO sticker. Cars with AP8 have the hardware needed, just needs updated software for the new key fobs to work. In order for the technician to download the software in the Tech2 for programming, a call to Techline must be made for that option to be added to the VIN.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Had remote start installed today. Two major problems: First, the keyfobs that came with the vehicle originally included a button for the power liftgate. The keyfobs that came with the remote start button did not include the power liftgate button. Second, there are big programming problems. If you start the vehicle with remote start, none of the steering wheel radio controls work, even after you insert the key and drive. The only way to get the steering wheel controls to work is to actually start the car with the key. Third, once you start the car with the remote and drive, you cannot start the car again with the remote until you have started it with the key.

I turned around and took it back to the dealer and dropped it off. We will see tomorrow if they can get this mess straightened out. I am not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I just double checked mine since I upgraded to the remote start. After remote starting the steering buttons work fine after just inserting the key. No restart was needed. Like I mentioned in an earlier thread, it took them a number of times of programming it to get it to work and then when I went to leave the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with warning lights. I believe they put in a call to the main techies and got everything to work. I was told it would take 15 minutes and they spent over 2 hours. It is doable! They just have to get all the programming right.

·
Registered
730 Posts

I was quoted $80 for programming by my :uzi: dealership, apart from the $195 cost of the key fob.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I had mine completed today--took about 2 hours (they were backlogged). I bought the fobs from the GM Accessories Store (http://gmaccessoriesstore.com/remote-start-with-power-liftgate-p-3588.html?cPath=268_269_334_335). Talked my salesman into providing the programming for free. The package includes the two key fobs, a sticker to be added to the options list and the instructions. It worked like a dream and I love it. I cannot wait until the LCD versions are released...I may upgrade :cheers:

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Unboxing Gallery: 2 Way Advanced Remote

Thanks for sharing the photos Clave. Remote looks really cool. In the words of Mike Meyers: "Man, that thing is HUGE....its got its own weather system!"

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Nothing nerdy about something as cool as advanced remote start. Thanks for the great pics & info. :thumb:

·
Registered
195 Posts

Clave Man said:
This morning I had the GM Accessories 2 Way Advanced Remote system installed in my 2008 Enclave. As a nerd I thought it important to show a series of photos of the items in the box before installation. Enjoy! :cheers:

http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=7130
What's your overall rating on this ~$200 product on a 1 to 10 (highest) scale taking into account the size, features and distance/range? Worth the money?

·
Registered
87 Posts

bseemore said:
What's your overall rating on this ~$200 product on a 1 to 10 (highest) scale taking into account the size, features and distance/range? Worth the money?
I can't give a fair answer until I live with it for a few weeks (and read the manual).
I will say the range is practically zero if your car is in a parking garage.
The signal won't go through rebar and concrete I guess..

One thing I didn't consider was that the device will send a command, then get feedback.
For example, you start the car, then get an icon showing the car is started.
It is very possible to be send a command, but not receive a reply.
So.. your car may start but you don't get notified.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Did they let you keep the orignal key fobs? Will they still work?
I think this is the 1st time my dealer is doing this installation....I want to know what to expect when I pick up the car this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts