GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our new 09 is here I took it over today to get the windows tinted and the HID's installed. So I was looking through the paperwork and on the hitch etc and all docs say the vehicle is rated to 5200 LBS towing as standard with our trailering package.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Re: Our 09 built 09/15 is rated to 5200lbs

DSNY FN said:
So our new 09 is here I took it over today to get the windows tinted and the HID's installed. So I was looking through the paperwork and on the hitch etc and all docs say the vehicle is rated to 5200 LBS towing as standard with our trailering package.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I was wondering if there was a chance that the increased towing capacity would take effect a little early. Does it say so on the sticker on the hitch itself? Can you tell what the tongue weight limit is? Also, can you tell how many bolts the hitch is mounted to the body with? I have a possible build week of Sept 29th....If it can come off the assembly line with a vin # the 29th or 30th, I can get GMS!!! fingers crossed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

alphadog1 said:
DSNY FN said:
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!! I was wondering if there was a chance that the increased towing capacity would take effect a little early. Does it say so on the sticker on the hitch itself? Can you tell what the tongue weight limit is? Also, can you tell how many bolts the hitch is mounted to the body with? I have a possible build week of Sept 29th....If it can come off the assembly line with a vin # the 29th or 30th, I can get GMS!!! fingers crossed.
Yes it does that was the first place I noticed it. There are 8 bolts holding the hitch on the frame.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thanks. Does it give any indication of tongue weight limit?
AD1

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

My build date shows 07/08, how can I find the exact day?

Also, my hitch has six bolts and is still rated at 4500 lbs :mad: :angryfire:

I must have one of the first off the lines and I got some
extras from the 2008 models. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
156 Posts

Copperhead13 said:

Copperhead, part of the increase in the towing capacity was a beefier (8 bolt) mounting system on the hitch which just took place in September in a mid-year production change, thats why you have the 4500lb. towing capacity vs 5200lbs.
AD1

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

alphadog1 said:
Thanks. Does it give any indication of tongue weight limit?
AD1
Yes it does say what the tougue weight is I just do not remember what it was. I will have to look at it tomorrow when I head back to the dealership.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

alphadog1 said:
No problem I am glad to see I have apparently made your day with this news LOL... :cheers:

·
Registered
533 Posts

DSNY FN said:
alphadog1 said:
No problem I am glad to see I have apparently made your day with this news LOL... :cheers:
DSNY FN,

You would more than make my day[/color] if they began the upgraded hitches earlier than scheduled. My Acadia was also to have been built the week of Sept. 15th, only 12-14 days prior to the advertised "new towing" upgrade. I was so close to the date (my order happened so quickly) that I was unable to pull the order number to wait for the magical 29th of Sept. for the much coveted added towing. IF another order built the same week as mine has 5,200 lbs. stamped (labeled) on the hitch itself, then there's a very good chance that my SLT-2 will also have received the upgraded towing that I desired so much.

Thanks for the encouragement! By the way, my dealer sent me the '09 Acadia book and it lists the 5,200 lbs. - in contrast to the '08's on the dealer lot whose hitches all say 4,500 lbs.! The suspence is killin' me! By the way, was your order date?[/color]

Smooth <><[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts

Copperhead13 said:
It's nowhere on the vehicle. I would have to pull up the build sheet in GMVIS to see the exact day Copperhead. If you want to know, PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN and I can get the build sheet for you.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Smooth said:
DSNY FN said:
alphadog1 said:
DSNY FN,

You would more than make my day[/color] if they began the upgraded hitches earlier than scheduled. My Acadia was also to have been built the week of Sept. 15th, only 12-14 days prior to the advertised "new towing" upgrade. I was so close to the date (my order happened so quickly) that I was unable to pull the order number to wait for the magical 29th of Sept. for the much coveted added towing. IF another order built the same week as mine has 5,200 lbs. stamped (labeled) on the hitch itself, then there's a very good chance that my SLT-2 will also have received the upgraded towing that I desired so much.

Thanks for the encouragement! By the way, my dealer sent me the '09 Acadia book and it lists the 5,200 lbs. - in contrast to the '08's on the dealer lot whose hitches all say 4,500 lbs.! The suspence is killin' me! By the way, was your order date?[/color]

Smooth <><[/color]
I placed my order with the dealership on the 16th of Aug and they placed the order in the GM system on the 19th of Aug. I will post back what the tongue weight is after I get to the dealership today.

·
Registered
156 Posts

DSNY,

Thanks, Mine is slated for production next week, so I am hoping it will be built the 29th or 30th and if we can get a VIN # I can still get the GMS. I have the credit union ready to go!

·
Registered
104 Posts

I would suspect the max tongue weight to be in the 500lb range. Tongue weight is usually setup with 10-15% of the weight of the trailer being towed. I would think 500lb hanging on the back of the Acadia is going to drop it down quite a bit, especially since it doesn't have an automatic leveling system. My 02 Olds Bravada had the air leveling system and that's was nice for carrying any kind of load. I wish the Acadia had the same thing.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ok tongue weight is 600 LBS and on a side note somone commented on the spare tire being an option not in Canada transport Canada apparently mandates all vehicles have a spare tire our Acadia has it allbeit the tiny 17" doughnut.

·
Registered
156 Posts

DSNY,

WOW, 600lbs.!!!! Hot ****, they jacked it up. I think it was around 480lbs before, but that gives me what I need, for sure! Coool, thanks for the info, bro.

AD1

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

alphadog1 said:
DSNY,

WOW, 600lbs.!!!! Hot ****, they jacked it up. I think it was around 480lbs before, but that gives me what I need, for sure! Coool, thanks for the info, bro.

AD1
No worries at all glad I could help with the info.

·
Registered
428 Posts

alphadog1 said:
Copperhead13 said:

Copperhead, part of the increase in the towing capacity was a beefier (8 bolt) mounting system on the hitch which just took place in September in a mid-year production change, thats why you have the 4500lb. towing capacity vs 5200lbs.
AD1
My 08, built in December 07 has 8 bolts holding it to the vehicle and still has the lower towing capacity. From what I understand all the factory hitches utilize 8 bolts. I think this has to do with it being bolted to the body instead of a frame like on a truck.

·
Registered
143 Posts

alphadog,

What are you planning on towing? I'm looking at a lighter TT to possibly tow behind mine. Also, do you know for sure what else(if anything) was changed to get the rating to 5,200lbs.

THANKS!

·
Registered
156 Posts

I will be towing an ultra light toyhauler that, when fully loaded will be just under 5200lbs.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts