GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I found the perfect Acadia on my dealer's lot (see my signature for details), except for one missing feature: Remote Start. As part of the bargaining process the dealer agreed to throw in a factory installed Remote Start unit that the service department could install. We checked with the Parts department and the Service department and all said that this was possible (a 45 minute install).

Today, when the parts came in and I took the car back to have the Remote Start installed, it turns out this isn't possible. The technician tried to apply the software update to enable the installed components and it didn't work. After calling GM, we learned that the required software update for the Remote Start feature can't be installed post-factory without messing up some of the cars other systems.

The dealer has agreed to install an after-market Remote Start component at no cost and assures me that it will be a top of the line model. But it will feel like a hack, like the purity or virtue of my GM vehicle has somehow been tarnished.

Overall, after 3 weeks, I still couldn't be happier with the Acadia, Remote Start or not. Its just a downer to have to carry around a second smaller key fob.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Re: Dealers Cannot Install Factory Remote Starters

Why do you need two key fobs? A good aftermarket system would do anything a Factory remote will do. They can program them for rear hatch, power window down, or up, and most other features. My '02 Avalanche had a remote start with 2 way display. It showed time, temp, and could be set to start the vehicle at a certain time, or temp. It also rolled the windows up, or down (only 1 choice could be selected).

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Short answer: Find another dealer.

The extended range remote start is a dealer installed option (only way to get it), and members were having the regular one installed before it came out- it even says in the owner's manual all are pre-wired for remote start. Read through the threads jsimms linked & get a second opinion.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts

Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Short answer: Find another dealer.

The extended range remote start is a dealer installed option (only way to get it), and members were having the regular one installed before it came out- it even says in the owner's manual all are pre-wired for remote start. Read through the threads jsimms linked & get a second opinion.
I didn't realize all Acadia's are pre-wired for remote start; yet another reason I am here; the learning I have done in the past 54 days is incredible

·
Registered
3 Posts
Remote start - Add to 09

Can you add a remote start to a 09? I have option AP8 and there is a lot of controversy regarding whether this is possible or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts

SO, Can you or can't you add remote start. If so, what dealer have you all worked with?!?!

·
Registered
423 Posts

there has been many who have. it works, just go to you local dealer. read our threads so you are armed with knowledge and git er dun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

After more investigation with my dealer, I have the real answer to this question (I think).

First off, I have to use the dealer that I bought the vehicle from because adding the factory remote start was part of our purchase agreement. And in actuality, they have been very helpful through this process.

The bottom line, is that a 2009 Acadia that doesn't have the Remote Start added in the factory isn't currently capable of being upgraded with the GM Remote Start feature. This is different from prior year models.

It turns out that in order for any remote start to work, the hood of the vehicle must be closed for safety reasons. 2009 Acadia's that don't have Remote Start installed in the factory come with hood latches that do not have a sensor that tells the computer whether the hood is closed or open. Prior year models all came with the same sensor'ed latch, regardless of remote start or not making an upgrade possible. According to the corporate GM technician that my dealer's service department talked to, as of February 18, 2009, it is not possible to add a new latch with a sensor because a software update to "register" the new latch with the car's computer isn't available.

The same corporate technician says they have heard about this issue and it is possible that a new software patch will be created in the next few months to allow for adding of a sensored hood latch. A "service ticket" has been created for my vehicle that will let me know if this in fact is completed. I am not holding my breath.

My dealer offered to install an after market remote start but I didn't like the sound of what they would have to do. They would have to drill in the side of the engine compartment, installing an open/close switch, plus the added piece of hardware under the dash that plugs into the power control system that also would hold an extra key to the vehicle for the RFID verification.

Now that the cold months are pretty much over, I would rather wait a while to see if GM comes up with something before hacking up my car with an aftermarket Remote Start.

·
Registered
423 Posts

i didnt even catch the 09 part. we have been looking for the hood pin for some time now, who new it was in the latch, thanks!
may as well wait, you are right, maybe they will come up with something, but im sure it will not be cheap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Like I said, whatever it costs, the dealer is going to do it for free. They promised the factory Remote Start to me as part of the purchase price and I won't accept anything less. That said, our dealer has been great throughout this fiasco and would recommend them to anyone that asks.

What do you mean, "hood pin"?

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts

PeteB said:
What do you mean, "hood pin"?
Hood pin, or hood safety switch... AFtermarket remote starts use to have a hood pin, that was spring loaded, when down the relay was off, when extended the realy was tripped so that the engine would not turn over.

IN the attachecd photo (from this site) it is the shiny silver thing that looks like a bolt on the right

MOre stuff here
http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&sigr=11ch5p86u&sigi=11ekkibb0&sigb=13c09tg25

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Gotcha. Thanks for the education.

As I said above, the service tech told me that the latch has such a sensor inside of it these days, that is unless you have a 2009 without a Remote Starter.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Pete,
Thanks for the info update. What this means is that the 2009 models that have remote start, even the dealer added VBS $260 option, have a different hood latch & possibly wiring. I'm glad we spent the $260!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found out that there is a factory part to add the remote start that is forthcoming. The dealer gave me the part number, which is 19213967, but said that GM didn't know when it would be coming out. Has anyone else found anything similar to this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
kksmith14 said:
I found out that there is a factory part to add the remote start that is forthcoming. The dealer gave me the part number, which is 19213967, but said that GM didn't know when it would be coming out. Has anyone else found anything similar to this?
Any update on this I talked to my dealer and he claimed it was $600 to install the remote start and $900 for the two way even though when I bought the car it was only a $250 option for the standard remote start. Anyone succcesfully add remote start to a 2009 Acadia?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After waiting for about 8 months, my dealer notified me that GM came out with a kit and set of procedures to install the remote start on a 2009 Acadia that didn't come with remote start out of the factory. They showed me the full 10 pages of procedures required to install the option. The 2 key steps seemed to be installing a new hood latch that includes a sensor for detecting when the hood is closed and a new software update.

But, there is a catch. According to the service guy, the only way this is possible for 2009s (without factory installation) is to use the 2-way remote start components. The 2-way key fob has a small LCD screen that shows lots of information about the state of the car and supports a much longer range (approx. $200 a pop just for the fob). The install also included wiring up and installation of a new antenna in one of the rear windows.

I could see how this installation would be much more expensive than the basic install of the simpler remote start option would be on the 2008s (which is simply a software update and a new key fob). Fortunately, installation of a remote start was part of my purchase agreement and my dealer honored that, even though the 2-way remote start is much more expensive than they thought when they sold me the car. Haggerty Pontiac GMC in Villa Park, IL has been a pleasure to work with throughout this prolonged process.

·
Registered
4 Posts
kksmith14 said:
I had one installed (2-Way Advanced Remote) on my Enclave - my Enclave did not come with the remote start - I had it installed in October. I work well - no issues - It was costly - $500, but worth it my opinion. However, if I had to do it over I would have gotten in the option package.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
FYI- just on case anyone is going to purchase a 2010 Traverse-- (dont know if the 2010 acadias, enclaves are the same)....

for 2010- when I ordered my traverse (1LT).... I ordered the connectivity package...
this includes- Remote Start, Bluetooth, and Garage door opening system all for about $340.... BARGAIN! (I think)....

so- really consider this if you plan on getting a new one...by the way- this extended range remote-- is not the 2 way remote referred to above--- but I do get 300 ft at arms lenght-- and 404 ft up to the chin).....

(includes (UPF) Bluetooth for phone, (BTV) remote vehicle start with extended range remote keyless entry and (UG1) 3-channel programmable Universal Home Remote with garage door opener

1 - 20 of 20 Posts