GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to trade in my 2004 acura mdx navi-res with 91,000 miles in on a new acadia. The acura has been good to me without one problem yet. Ive been looking at 2007 MDX and the Acadia. No other new suv's are on my list yet. My wife has a RX330 and wouldnt get another lexus again along with a bmw which I owned before the acura. The only things I dont really know about the acadia which is how is the gas mileage and if its better to wait for the 08's for minor changes and any poblems cleared up. The MDX was about $48,xxx and the acadia was about $46,xxx I think. I just wanted to get your opinions on these Suv's. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also strongly considered the new Acura MDX, until I saw it in person. REminds me of a Gillette razor on the front! I am elgible for the employee discount since my brother works for Honda. Even with his discount, I chose the Acadia over the Acura. No buyers remoarse!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure if this will help,

We were looking to replace a 2002 Acura MDX Touring w/Nav, 68K miles. Planned on getting similar 2007 MDX which had an MSRP of $47K, but dealer had added BS stuff like etched window glass, pin strips, wheel locks etc, raising price even more--would not even discuss discounts and didn't want to give even wholesale on the 02 MDX--I think they planned to make $10-12K by selling my trade.

I saw a "GM-owned-not for sale" Acadia wrapped in plastic at the GM dealer next to the Acura dealer and went home and checked it on the internet. Went back to the GM dealer next day and drove the demo Acadia--I was immediately impressed and ordered one on the spot (had to wait 3 days before GM would accept any orders from the dealer).

Ordered a FWD Acadia SLT-2 (got nav, sunroof, trailer pkg, HID headlamps). MSRP of $40674 and paid $37,226 after discounts. Also got GMAC 0.0% interest rate for 36 mos.

Gas mileage has been about 4 mpg higher on the Acadia (18.6/25.7) than the MDX (14 city 22 hwy). However, Acadia uses regualr gas and MDX used high test (approx $.30 per gallon more).

Worse gas mileage I've seen in the Acadia has been 15 mpg when we were showing it off and trying to figure how everything works and did a lot of idling.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Test drove 2 '07 MDXs yesterday . Base suspension model was unbearable - constant small motion up/down/jiggle on bumps on the same streets /freeway that I never even knew existed driving my regular cars. The sport model with adjustable shocks was better , but too wallowy in comfort mode and about what an Acadia feels like in stiffer sport mode , which I like. Other surprise was the engine on the MDX, I've owned Hondas and even an Acura before and they had great engines , but the SOHC V6 on this MDX was surprisingly coarse feeling and sounding at mid - upper RPMs -very surprised. The Acadia DOHC V6 is silky and smooth by comparison. Would have probably been the opposite comparing GMs prior ancient OHV V6 engines to an Acura one just a couple years ago. That's been my biggest revelation on the Acadia - the drivetrain and suspension are just spot on sweet compared to the Japanese and European crossover competition - they really nailed it, IMO .

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had planned on getting an MDX when the lease on my Infinity ran out. My wife and I test drove the MDX and didn't care for it. What a difference driving the Acadia. It was love at first sight. I didn't even wait for my Infinity lease to run out. I had 2 months left on that lease when I bought the Acadia. I have over 2,000 miles left for me to drive on the Infinity before my lease runs out but I usually leave it sit and take the Acadia.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I was a fairly big fan of the previous MDXs, so when I dragged my wife to the DC Auto show in mid January (with the goal of talking her out of a minivan), we looked over practically every 7/8 passenger vehicle on the showroom. When we got to the Acura section, I showed her the brand new MDX. She looked at me, eyebrows raised, and said "I'm not buying that. I'm not even getting in that. The front looks like a bird's beak!" I couldn't believe this was the successor to the mdx! What happened??

Like I've mentioned many times, I wasn't an American car fan, but here I was leaving the auto show LOVING that new Saturn and GMC and being supremely disappointed in the "new" MDX and the "old" Pilot. The Pathfinder, 4Runner and Highlander were all yawns. The CX9 was promising, but no capts chairs killed it. It's like bizarro-car world now! ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
admin said:
The CX9 was promising, but no capts chairs killed it. It's like bizarro-car world now! ;)
The CX-9 is a non starter for us because some dunce in their product or engineering planning dept has decided that you can get either the sunroof or the overhead DVD player screen but not BOTH . Huh ? Last I checked , both of these features are in highly promoted for this class of vehicle.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Acajun said:
The CX-9 is a non starter for us because some dunce in their product or engineering planning dept has decided that you can get either the sunroof or the overhead DVD player screen but not BOTH . Huh ? Last I checked , both of these features are in highly promoted for this class of vehicle.
My bigger issue was having to get 20" wheels in order to get some other options that I wanted.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I turned in a 2002 MDX, I looked at the 2007 MDX, overall I liked the MDX, did not like the new front end, felt more like a sports car , kind of a harsh ride, did not like the smooth ride setting in the suspension. What really killed it was that the space in the third row did not seem to be any better than the 02 model, not enough space and very uncomfortable seating, then the price, the dealers did not want to budge saying this is a totally new model and does not require reduction in pricing. After I test drove the Acadia I was sold, much smoother package overall and with similar options the Acadia came in $8k to $10K less in price, the dealers were offering some incentives and this is a totally new model for GM. Glad I made the switch to the Acadia. :thumb:

The Mazda dealer was right next to the GMC dealer, I did not really like the CX-9, it just did not have the same level of quality as I felt the Acadi has IMO.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I sold an '02 MDX when I got my Acadia. I really enjoyed my MDX, but could not get excited about the '07s. Neither my wife nor I like the new looks. I didn't care for the busy dash. The third row felt more cramped that the '02s, and access seemed a little more difficult than the '02s (and much more difficult than the Acadia). I took my teenage son and daughter on test drives of the '07 MDX, the '07 Pathfinder, the '07 4Runner and the '06 Highlander. They both strongly preferred the Acadia.

YMMV

Kelly

·
Registered
1 Posts
WOW!
That is what I have to say.
Glad I found this thread with respect to the MDX vs Acadia comparisions.
Current lease is up soon on my '04 Pacifica and I am in the process of deciding on the Acadia, the MDX or another Pacifica. I was surprised at the comments but, good to read about MDX owners thoughts. The premium gas vs regular gas was interesting as well as the third row seat space or lack there of on the MDX.

Has any one who previously or currently for that matter towed with the MDX? How about the Acadia, any towing experiences or comments?

Information overload.

Deciding in Mississauga.....

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
If you search, there's a thread or two on towing with the Acadia. So far, ppl have had good experiences, keeping in mind that it's not exactly a crossover's forte.

BTW, I spent a week in a lake cabin in or near Mississauga back in 1994. Beautiful up there...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for your replies. Right now acura dealers are giving some money off the mdx but not as much as GMC is. The one thing that stood out to me that I didnt relize is that the gmc is ok to run on regular gas which didnt even cross my mind. So thats one + for acadia along with it looks to me more interior room all around. The one thing stopping me from the acura is the front at times of the day in certain colors I think it looks great in the front , then I pass one on the road all dirty and think why did acura do that to the front . But I kinda do like the front it reminds me of a armored truck kinda. Ive never towed anything with my acura but In a few years want a small boat so this next SUV might be the one to tow it. And right now MDX gets about 16-20mpg useing high tes fuel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts