GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this e-mail tonight. It looks like this feature will be available to everyone.

Thank you for participating in the OnStar eNav pilot program (formally known as Web Destination Entry). Due to an overwhelmingly positive response from OnStar¹ subscribers like you, we are happy to announce that as of May 28, 2008, OnStar eNav² will be made available to all active OnStar Directions & Connections subscribers.

In final preparation for this exciting new service launch, we will be discontinuing the pilot program as of 12:00 AM EST May 26, 2008. However, as of Wednesday May 28, 2008, you will be able to send destinations directly from the leading U.S. online mapping site³-www.mapquest.com. Plus, there is no need to enroll. We will automatically set up all eligible vehicles on your OnStar account.

Now preplanning your trips with MapQuest.com and OnStar eNav will be even easier. Continue to search for your destination and skip the printer by looking for the "Send to OnStar" link in your search results. After logging in with your OnStar Account Number and ZIP code, you can send up to five destinations to your vehicle at a time. Once in your vehicle, you still retrieve your destinations by pushing your white phone icon button and following the automated voice prompts.

Thanks again for participating in the pilot program and for all of the feedback on this service. We hope you enjoy this latest OnStar navigation advancement available only to OnStar subscribers.

Happy travels!

Scott Kubicki
Director of OnStar Subscriber Services

P.S. Please note that any previously stored destinations will not be transferred.

·
Registered
156 Posts
can't wait to try this! just checked, don't see it on mapquest site yet...but its also not the 28th ::)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well it's the 28th.. and tried this on mapquest.com but couldn't find a "send to onstar" button. I did find send to cell and send to GPS.. but not onstar. Maybe try later in the day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Tried this out, very cool. put in your destination, when mapquest pulls up the direction select send to tab, next to print tab just above the picture map on left side.

I can definatly see me using this feature. :thumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
just tried it...it works great! now if they would let me hold more than 5!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about all the other Beta testers, but I for one gave that exact feedback during the testing. Although, I never had a time where I actually needed navigation to more than 5 specific spots and did not have time to change the locations before I took off for the trip. So really 5 ended up being enough, I just had to change it before each trip.

I still think if I had 20 or more, I could have several of my yearly jaunts programmed in there and not need to change it before each trip.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, 5 spots just isn't enough! How about 20? does it really make a differnece in cost to them? Prob not, so who picked 5? :banghead:

GAR said:
I don't know about all the other Beta testers, but I for one gave that exact feedback during the testing. Although, I never had a time where I actually needed navigation to more than 5 specific spots and did not have time to change the locations before I took off for the trip. So really 5 ended up being enough, I just had to change it before each trip.

I still think if I had 20 or more, I could have several of my yearly jaunts programmed in there and not need to change it before each trip.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I've used the NAV in the car before but not the OnStar Turn by Turn. So I uploaded a route from MapQuest to try it out since I have 1 year free of that stuff. One thing I did notice that was different than when I use the Nav is that when the OnStar Voice comes on not only does it mute the radio or dvd but it also turns off the fans for the A/C. The Voice for the NAV just mutes the audio. I have to say I kinda didn't like the OnStar turning off and on the A/C fans everytime it spoke.
I'll stick to the NAV.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It doesnt turn off the A/C it just slows the fan down. It does that so if you are talking to an advisor the fan doesnt make the conversation hard to hear or for you to be hard for the advisor to hear because of the fan noise in the michrophone.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I use eNav all the time and it's funny, I've never noticed it slowing the fan speed down. And it doesn't mute my radio, just lowers the volume a bit. And you can adjust the volume of the eNav separately as well. I love it. I guess it's probably just that I never have my fan blowing full speed ahead, so when it does come on, there's nothing to really slow down.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I tested it eNav vs the factory Nav, and the eNav turns off the a/c fans everytime it speaks, also mutes the radio or DVD which my little girl was watching in the back. Its hot in Texas, so usually the a/c fans are running quite high, so I find it to be a bother that everytime the thing speaks that the a/c fans turn off. The fNav which just as good without messing with the fans and since I'm not that hard of hearing I like it better.
But not to highjack this thread but anyone notice that if your a/c temp is set to say 67F the fans are blowing full boar but I have yet to notice that they calm down when the temp reaches the set temp. I have to manually lower the fan speed myself, and then I realize how freaking loud those fans are.

·
Registered
427 Posts
So, it looks like I'm NOT ELIGIBLE to use the Mapquest eNav service.

I have the Turn-by-Turn Navigation package, so I should be. I believe the problem is that, instead of hands-free calling, I've elected to link my Acadia to our Verizon Wireless FamilyShare plan. As such, I lose access to "Virtual Advisor", and because of that, eNav doesn't work.

****** shame - I was really looking forward to sending directions from my computer to the Acadia ...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just my two cents, but I have been part of the Turn by Turn (TBT) pilot program for the last six months and I have found it to be very second rate to a good Nav system in two important areas, 1) the ability to recalculate when you miss, or choose to ignore, a turn. It is extremely slow in this regard, and for all practicle purposes you need to stop and give it time to recalculate or in an urban area it will have a very difficult time catching up. I have since added a Garmin and it will notice the deviation and recalculate in seconds, literally in a fraction of a block. With TBT you won't even have answered the question "Do you want to recalculate" in that time. In addition TBT is very poor at calculating an alternate route on the fly. I was heading to a ski area where one of the mountain climbs was closed due to weather, and although I knew there was an alternate pass, there was nothing I could do to get TBT to take me there. Even the live onstar help told me, tried to reroute me (she could see the alternate as well) but couldn't and eventually told me to "drive far enough away from the original route and maybe TBT will find the other route" Yeah, that was helpful. Even the inexpensive Garmins have a "detour" button that will imediately find you an alternate route...In my opinion TBT is cute, but its not there yet. An inexpensive Garmin is far better...and can do Bluetooth to!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I used the eNav yesterday and it didn't turn off my fan. It was on a medium setting and didn't turn off. Because I have an '07??

eNav also doesn't always ask me to recalculate. Most often if I don't take the turn it wanted me to, it automatically tells me where to turn next. On occasion, it has asked me if I want to recalculate or wait until I get back on my planned route before continuing with directions. I've never run into a problem with it though.

I have a Garmin as well, but it's home has been in my glovebox for a while now. I don't find it any better or worse than the eNav.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Web Raven said:
I used the eNav yesterday and it didn't turn off my fan. It was on a medium setting and didn't turn off. Because I have an '07??

eNav also doesn't always ask me to recalculate. Most often if I don't take the turn it wanted me to, it automatically tells me where to turn next. On occasion, it has asked me if I want to recalculate or wait until I get back on my planned route before continuing with directions. I've never run into a problem with it though.

I have a Garmin as well, but it's home has been in my glovebox for a while now. I don't find it any better or worse than the eNav.
Interesting...we must have different versions of the Garmin system because mine is sure a whole lot faster than TBT. The subtlety when you say it tells you where to turn next though, is that ultimately it brings you back to the same original route. The issue I have is that if a main section of the original route is closed, it doesn't seem to be able to work around. I've had that experience several times, both because of weather and construction, and the live help couldn't reprogram it either.

Anyway, different experiences are what make this place interesting...for what its worth...mine always drops the fan when it "talks"...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I just talked to Onstar, they said I can't use mapquest on my Acadia because I have a 2007 Acadia. Is this true? WebRaven, you have a 2007, can't you download?

I do have Verizon, I see that some one else can't access it because virual advisor is turned off, which sucks, but because I have a 2007?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think that they are wrong, but I am not sure about that. I do know that originally I fell in love with the On-Star TBT and figured I would pay the $10 per month to have it when the free time was up. But after using my wife's Garmin Nuvi, I would never pay the $10 as it is just not worth it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have an 08 and they also told my that the Mapquest "send to OnStar" is not yet available for my vehicle. However, I have used it several times - no problem.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts