GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - call me uneducated! If I use L6 instead of drive constantly will it do any damage to my acadia. i've tried it on short runs and maybe i am crazy but it seems to smooth out the shifting problem. Haven't gotten the software upgrade yet (want to wait until some feedback)

thanks Everybody

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nope. That only limits the highest gear. So if in L6 all the time, the car will naturaly shift through its progression. If you had it at 3, it would be different as you would be revving pretty high at 65 MPH on the freeway

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've tried using the L through some of my trips..it's pretty neat feature to have.
in reference to the above posts, so L6 all the time would be like in D? ???

·
Registered
542 Posts
Pretty much like being in D. I only use the manual shift function to limit the high gear when going down steep hills. That way the engine brakes the car and I do not have to ride the brakes all the time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Keith said:
Pretty much like being in D. I only use the manual shift function to limit the high gear when going down steep hills. That way the engine brakes the car and I do not have to ride the brakes all the time.
If you do ride the brakes in D, the transmission will downshift for you. This was also refined a bit in the new update.

·
Registered
730 Posts
dang! where is that update already. ;D

·
Registered
542 Posts
I read about that in the manual but I have never noticed it. Mine just rockets down the hill. Do you need the towing package for that feature?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do not think you need towing. My SLE FWD downshift pretty nicely upon a tap on the brakes going downhill. I never have to use L going down, I use it going uphill.

·
Registered
179 Posts
kram said:
I do not think you need towing. My SLE FWD downshift pretty nicely upon a tap on the brakes going downhill. I never have to use L going down, I use it going uphill.
The transmission should also keep you from upshifting going uphill (after a downshift has occurred) while in D, but you can also do this yourself by using L. To each his own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Along this topic. If I am heading uphill in D at 65mph and losing steam, can I shift into L (on the fly) and manually select a lower gear without damaging something? Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
kyad12 said:
Along this topic. If I am heading uphill in D at 65mph and losing steam, can I shift into L (on the fly) and manually select a lower gear without damaging something? Thanks
Yes. It will not allow you to get a gear that's too low. You can shift into L at any speed and you can tap to the lowest gear possible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
lzwhb2 said:
Keith said:
If you do ride the brakes in D, the transmission will downshift for you. This was also refined a bit in the new update.
Like Keith says, I noticed this "feature" in the manual, but have yet to actually see it in action. And I drive down a very large hill every day to work, so I'm wondering when this feature is supposed to kick in, because it's not. At the moment, I just select L and put it in 3 and I can get down the hill without a lot of brake pedal. In D, I'd accelerate to warp speed pretty darn fast. Either the manual is wrong or the car isn't detecting the condition properly...I can't imagine it wants a steeper or longer hill than the one I'm driving.

·
Registered
41 Posts
kram said:
So you tap the brake pedal to get the car to do this? One tap? How hard? I can't get the car to do it...but maybe I'm telling the car the wrong way that I want it to be doing it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Mtn_KAT said:
kram said:
So you tap the brake pedal to get the car to do this? One tap? How hard? I can't get the car to do it...but maybe I'm telling the car the wrong way that I want it to be doing it.

Thanks!
It actually depends how fast you are going downhill. I haven't gone on hills since I got the transmission update but I do remember tapping it at least twice to get it to downshift.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It takes more than a "tap" of the brake pedal. Think of it more like riding the brake. As you do this, it will begin to downshift. It uses time the brake is applied and the force at which you apply the brake. Speed also factors into it. Keep those things in mind next time you're looking for it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks all. I'll try that tomorrow...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts