GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
GeorgeC, he does look like a character. We always had mutts when the kids were little and they were the best dogs anyone could ask for. Now they're 'Designer Dogs' for unGodly prices. The only purebred we every had was our Cav.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
@GEORGEC, your dog is a good looking pup. If I had one that looked like him and folks asked what kind, I'd tell them he was a "ratweiler." :)

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
We have 3 Shelties. One of ours, Jake, just started his 4th month of chemo treatments for lymphoma. So far he is classified as in remission. His blood work Thursday was perfect. His weight perfect and he has a ton of energy.

Once the final chemo treatment is finished, in 2 weeks, they will do a full battery of tests to see if all of those pesky cancer cells are still around.

The images below are photos I snapped as we were leaving Wendy's after his treatment. I give him a treat, Wendy's chicken nuggets after each treatment. LOL only a couple. Have to share the rest with his brother Elwood and adopted sister Serenity.

Attachments

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi, Sailfish, how you doing. Glad to hear Jake is getting better.

We're already starting to spoil Runt, giving her some table scraps after breakfast. We think she was a breeder and didn't have a lot of food other than dog food and at the shelter they give them whatever dog food is donated (I know it's supposed to be all they need).

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey folks, this thread does not have to be just a sad thread. Let's get some good feeling postings.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
One of our Shelties, Serenity, we adopted from a rescue. She is stunning beautiful, mostly white. Breeders attempting to get a perfectly white sheltie, end up producing Shelties that are either deaf, blind or both.

Our adopted little girl is deaf.

I have had a deaf Sheltie before, a senior Sheltie I fondly named Miss Lady GaGa, because she didn't bark the first 2 weeks and then, she found her voice and never stopped. She was 20 when she died in my arms a year ago last month.

A year ago this month is when we adopted Serenity.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Hi, Sailfish, how you doing. Glad to hear Jake is getting better.

We're already starting to spoil Runt, giving her some table scraps after breakfast. We think she was a breeder and didn't have a lot of food other than dog food and at the shelter they give them whatever dog food is donated (I know it's supposed to be all they need).
We are doing great here. Thanks!

I say spoil them rotten.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Thursday's chemo treatment (the final one) on Jake was a rough one. All he wanted to do that night was, crawl up on my husbands lap and be held.

Friday morning, he climbed up on the sofa next to me, leaned in and sighed.....

The sigh of contentment.

He is still tuckered out, more likely due to the chemo. Just before I headed up, Jake went into his room, curled up and said "Mommy....I want to get some sleep". Elwood and Missy Serenity followed his lead.

We do have an appointment August 3rd for him to go back to Dayton Vet CARE for a check up. Then one in September. Followed up in October for another series of x-rays and ultra-sound.

If everything looks as good as it did Thursday, will only have to return yearly. Fingers and toes crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
How nice to hear everything has gone well and Jake will be coming back to his self. Time for celebrations! Also, is nice to have you back every so often.

My best friend is, "Buddy," One happy So. Painted Turtle, in his 40Gal glass tank. He is his own and comical and loves attention. I am his keeper, but goes bonkers when wife is near, "Begging" Go Figure

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Jake didn't make it....the cancer returned the end of October with a vengeance.

We opted to give him another try at chemo and had just finished his 3rd treatment of the first month of four. It was that last chemo treatment, they made a mistake and gave him too much.

We said out good byes to him the Friday before Thanksgiving.

He spent the last five days in isolation at the CARE facility. They paid for all of his care while in isolation and they paid for his cremation and urn.

This image, is of him that Friday when we tearfully, said our good bye's. Even if they could have got him through their mistake, there was still the cancer. It had settled into his lymphatic system and wasn't going away.

The other image is of him smiling while in my Enclave, heading to Wendy's for some chicken nuggets. His treat after each of his chemo treatments.

This holiday season, is kind of a bah humbug.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Sorry to hear about Jake. You have my sympathy (and empathy), @sailfish. The vet found cancer in Gabriel's bladder about a week ago. The tumor is quite large and untreatable. Don't think he'll make it to his 14th birthday in January. Merry Christmas anyway.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
10 Participants
teetertotter
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing