GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Enclave forum has a topic on this so I thought I would start one here.

Today is a sad day in our home, we lost a beautiful member of our family. We had her for 13 1/2 years, lasted 5 years more than what the vets thought she would. She was stubborn like me.

A little King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, my wife's dog but she loved everyone even me, she grew up with my granddaughter here in SC.

I don't have a way with words , I just wanted to say how much I miss her already.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
I feel for you, Bear. My dogs are 13 (Sheltie) and 12 (Icelandic Sheepdog). I'm dreading the day. Thought the Sheltie was goner a while back. Think he had a stroke and started all the "here we go again" thoughts. They're family and every dog I ever had is missed as much as any human family member. My condolences to you and yours.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks SP, we knew it was coming, 6 months ago the vet told us she was on the borderline of where he would recommend making the decision. I guess I wasn't ready but when she couldn't get up and walk this morning we knew we had to make it. We had to carry her to the car and into the vets office which made it even worse.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Oh man, that's one of the toughest decisions to make. Read the comments with this picture. It's one of the times I went through in the forum's early years.

[smg id=12]

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the details about her being rescued from an abusive home, anybody that does that to a dog or any other animal should rot in hell, pardon my language.

SP, I'm so sorry. In my lifetime with the kids we've had lots of pets, dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs and it wa always tough when one passed

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SP saw your pic of the dogs in Wanna go for a Ride. That was posted about 7 years ago. Pretty dogs, especially your Sheltie.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Thanks, Bear. The Sheltie was adopted as an adult dog from a family who raised the breed. He was a show dog who really didn't like the dog show scene. The other was rescued in the South (along with a bunch of other animals) by the local SPCA after Hurricane Katrina. She was about 6 mos. old when adopted. They're both great pups.

You'll also find a picture of my dog named Flint. We 'found' each other when I was working a job in the CO mountains. I had no idea how old he was, but he spent 9 years traveling everywhere with me - in a helicopter used on the mountain job, on many MANY cross-country road trips to various work sites, in the belly of a passenger jet several times when visiting family - he didn't get to go on 2 work trips to the Sahara for obvious reasons.

Flint was handsome, friendly, very smart, and highly sensitive to our surroundings. He would do things on command that would wow folks with his intelligence, or terrify those who weren't welcomed to be near us. Motel staff, work crews, friends, and family really loved him (almost as much as I did). He had a seizure and died in my arms almost nine years to the day of our first meeting. That was one of the saddest days I ever experienced.

Side story: Flint and I once had a long stay in a motel at Wells, NV. One morning, the owner stopped by my room and told me Peter Fonda spent the night in his motel and hadn't yet left. I had a bit of time off so Flint and I were outside playing fetch when Fonda and his friend came out of their room. Peter walked over just to say hello and to meet my dog. He said, "Mind if I throw the ball for your dog?" Of course, the answer was yes. Next thing I'm doing is spending an hour or so in a parking lot talking with Peter Fonda about all kinds of things and taking turns throwing the ball for Flint. Glad neither of us was in a hurry to leave.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Flint and Opal also had a cat (sorry, no pic). She was a good-sized Russian Blue named GrayCee (for gray cat). If the light hit just right, you could see her tail was ringed in alternating light to medium blue/gray rings. My ex and I adopted her from a friend when she was about 4 years old and I had her for 14 years. When GrayCee first came to the house, Flint was dog of the manor - brought her into the house, she too one look at Flint, and off she went to the basement. She hid in the ceiling tiles for a few days until she got so hungry it was time to find some food. GrayCee came upstairs, saw Flint, looked at the food, looked at Flint, thought "Screw it. I'm hungry," and went to the kitchen to eat. When she was done, GrayCee came to the living room, sniffed Flint, curled up on the couch, and went to sleep. She and Flint were close buds from that time forward. GrayCee had no problem meeting Opal. I think she sensed something about Opal's background and took pity on her. Their friendship was cute to watch.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sorry for your loss Speleos, Sad to lose a member of the family. Always the hardest thing to do, I remember being a wreck after I lost my cat after spending 15 years with her. Hope your family stays strong and just remember all the good times that Flint brought to your family!!!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SP, we lost my dog just over a year ago, the day before Thanksgiving to cancer. A Dachshund and Springer mix, short legs long body, her and the King Charles were buds from the first time they got together. We have a cat that rules the house, my dog was terrified of her. If we were in the bathroom and Sandi was in there with us and the cat was in the doorway she wouldn't leave until we did or she would take the long way around the cat if she was blocking the path to the outside door. One time Sandi was just sitting on the floor and the cat just reached out and swatted her with her paw.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On Wednesday we rescued a 3 yr old Corgi mix from the Spartanburg, SC Humane Society. They had her there for 6 months, they said she was brought in with 8 other dogs when their owner died and her disposition didn't mesh with other adoptive families. To be honest from what they told us about her made us leery of going back with our dog for a meet and greet. Glad we did, she is a sweetheart. almost everything they said about her was wrong, except the part about her not liking her crate, found out the hard way when we left her out and got back from shopping yesterday and our front blinds were torn to shreds. Oh well the wife always wanted to replace them anyway.

I'll try and post pics once I take some with the IPad and figure out how to to post them here.

·
Super Moderator
18,310 Posts
Congrats on the new family addition, 'bear. Looking forward to the pictures. I know Corgis are very smart and fun dogs. Once you get boundaries established with the new pup, you should have a wonderfully loyal friend. Hope you're ready for some play time! :smile_big:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks SP, they said she was picky about the people and dogs she would warm up to. Boy were they wrong, she took to us, my son and his finance and our year and a half old Lab mix almost immediately. The Lab outweighs her by 30 pound but she hangs in there and roughhouses with her as if she's the same size. It's hilarious watching the two of them running in the yard, the Lab has long legs and runs with long strides while the Corgi has her short little legs and sort of bounces along.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wife wants to change her name to Riley or Blondie, but she answers to Runt so it stays.

Right now they're wrestling and Runt is pinning the Lab, of course the Lab could just stand up and pin her whenever she wanted to.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
found out the hard way when we left her out and got back from shopping yesterday and our front blinds were torn to shreds.
We could leave our male and female German Shepherds alone in the house while we were away for the day.
Up to 10 hrs. All they did was lay around and sleep. Hold in #1 and #2. No issues with that.

When I had to put down the female (age 14/15).... the male was only 6 or so.

The 1st time we left him alone at home...........
We came home to find several blinds were bent (aluminum style).
the front door had claw/nail marks. Sofas had cushions all over the place.
Our bed was undone.

He had never been alone. (since he was a pup). She was always with him.
Vet visits were the same--- always in pairs.

1st time we took/dropped him off at vet- without her...
20 min later I get a call to come back............
Turns out that he had-- lets call it- separation anxiety. Panting, pacing, wanting to leave, his temperature spiked.
I guess the vet sees this enough, they took his temp and it was elevated enough they took a hose and wet him down to bring his temp down.

Other vet visits (drop offs) where they do all checkups- they will give him a sedative to keep him mellow.
Other vet visits, theyll do the checkups with me in the room.

So now- when we leave him alone at home- we bring in a crate- leave the door open and he within minutes walks in and lays down. Ill sometimes put towels over the openings to make it dark and cozy. (I think of it as a lair/cave..... he seems to like the enclosed dark feel.
I then close the door and turn on easy soft music or some classical.
He will lay there all day.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Lab has her crate, she's been crate trained ever since we brought her home, she'll go in there by herself during the day or at night if nothing is going on or if I'm in the office next to the crate. At bedtime we'll say "It's bedtime" she'll get down off our lap or couch and head to her crate.

We had to pick Runt up and putt her in last night and she did sleep all night. We just have to figure out a way to train her to go in by herself.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
... Once you get boundaries established with the new pup, you should have a wonderfully loyal friend. ...:

Being in the shelter for 6 months has her very skittish when she hears normal everyday household noises. When the Lab started barking when someone came to the door today really upset her, reminded her of the barking dogs at the shelter.

We did have a breakthrough today, Runt twice went into her crate today and laid down by herself.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I certainly understand how hard it is to put a member of the family down. That is what our 4 legged friends are, members of the family. It never gets easier no matter how many you have parted with in the past. My folks had to put down my first dog, an Airdale, when I was in college.

I did not get my next dog for a number of years, then bought a German Shepard pup from some military friends. A year later I got married and that dog rode the back seat as we moved to California. Along the way it was probably hard for people to recognize us as newly weds with the dog in the back seat and the TR-4 in tow behind. We have had two more Shepherds since. All had hip displasia in varying degrees. In later years we added a couple of poodles. I had to take the last Shepard and the first poodle to the vet on the same day. That was a tough day.

Got another small poodle and she would have been 16 the day after she went for her last vet visit.

Now we have a Heinz 57 who we recused from a shelter. He is a total character.

My condolences to anyone who has to take their pet for that last ride. It is one of the worst days of your life.

George

Attachments

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
About this Discussion
48 Replies
10 Participants
teetertotter
GMC Acadia Forum
Join our Acadia Forum community where enthusiasts discuss mods and troubleshooting for the GMC Acadia and Denali Crossover SUV.
Full Forum Listing