GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving down a rock road, over two months ago, my 2015 GMC Acadia has had a super loud rolling noise coming from somewhere. I can't figure out where it is coming from.
I have taken it to my oil changing place and had several people look at it, but no one can find what is causing this.
I was searching other posts, and found one from 2017 and another one from an entirely different person in 2018 with the same problem. Neither of them ever got answers on the forum. But I am hopeful.
It sounds as if a marble has been put into metal tube somewhere in the vehicle and it rolls (not clanks or bumps along like you would think a rock would sound like... this sounds perfectly round! It goes from the left side of the vehicle to the right side of the vehicle every single time I make a turn or swerve from side to side.... even making a lane change will cause the sound..... It rolls back and forth from side to side!!!!
Please can someone help me ?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Are you sure there's not something in a back storage area? We picked up my wife's new vehicle last Saturday. Same sounds... lift the storage cover, lug and lock nut package sliding back and forth.
If not, drive it up on ramps and feel around any member that goes left right.

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
Look under the front seats. Maybe someone put a marble or hard ball under one of them. Check the center console. too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure there's not something in a back storage area? We picked up my wife's new vehicle last Saturday. Same sounds... lift the storage cover, lug and lock nut package sliding back and forth.
Nothing in the back storage area.... I have taken the vehicle to three different maintenance places... and while they did get a few small rocks out of the front cross member near the front tires, the sound never stopped.... Is there any way that something possible fell into my dash and is stuck in the air/ heating area???? Wondering if it runs from side to side as that is the problem rather than it rolling from front to back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can I post a video on this forum?
Look under the front seats. Maybe someone put a marble or hard ball under one of them. Check the center console. too.
the mechanics have looked everywhere and cannot find it - it is rolling on metal... and goes all the way from the far left - sounds like it stops right under the driver seat by door and then goes all the way to passenger side

·
Super Moderator
22,796 Posts
... sounds like it stops right under the driver seat by door and then goes all the way to passenger side
Not many places (cross members) under that part of the floor where a rolling object can travel as described. If an object found a way in, maybe it will find the way out on its own. You'd just have to put up with the noise until that happens. There's always an option of filling a cross member with insulating foam and stabilizing the object in place.

Reactions: Erickson6111

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
hmm around the seats.
how about the empty area at the base of the windshield- were air gets sucked in/ and wiper motor is at....
though there should be a plastic cover here-- maybe rodents got in and dropped a nice walnut or something in there.
Thinking out loud here...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Bottom line is, you or someone else in the vehicle needs to track the sound down. Nothing anyone remote can do IMO

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Was it an Acadia or Traverse owner- about maybe 1-2 monts ago.
Posted about having some kind of rock or something rolling around inside the hood.
I dont recall the result.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not many places (cross members) under that part of the floor where a rolling object can travel as described. If an object found a way in, maybe it will find the way out on its own. You'd just have to put up with the noise until that happens. There's always an option of filling a cross member with insulating foam and stabilizing the object in place.
Thank you for replying... unfortunately the theory of “it finding its way inside so maybe finding its way back out”, has proven unsuccessful for NINE LONNNNG LOUD WEEKS NOW. Lol 😂 My brother also thought it could possibly be stopped in motion and we tried the foam in the cross member. I was very hopeful about this, but it didn’t stop it or change the sound!!! I really wish I knew how to post a video of the sound because I think someone might hear it and be able to tell me where it might be trapped!!!! My vehicle sounds like a pinball machine!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Maybe it's all in your head, and instead of a mechanic... sorry, kidding.
Was there ANY work done to the vehicle prior to this noise? Tire change, oil change, anything in the previous week or 2?
I can tell you, exhaust pipes would magnify a rock inside like no other. Larger metal tubes, things dinging around inside. But unless you backed into a gravel pile, not likely. And it would be worse fore and aft, not side to side.
I think you need to do your best to record and post a video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After driving down a rock road, over two months ago, my 2015 GMC Acadia has had a super loud rolling noise coming from somewhere. I can't figure out where it is coming from.
I have taken it to my oil changing place and had several people look at it, but no one can find what is causing this.
I was searching other posts, and found one from 2017 and another one from an entirely different person in 2018 with the same problem. Neither of them ever got answers on the forum. But I am hopeful.
It sounds as if a marble has been put into metal tube somewhere in the vehicle and it rolls (not clanks or bumps along like you would think a rock would sound like... this sounds perfectly round! It goes from the left side of the vehicle to the right side of the vehicle every single time I make a turn or swerve from side to side.... even making a lane change will cause the sound..... It rolls back and forth from side to side!!!!
Please can someone help me ?!?!?!
Did you have the cabin air filter replaced? Maybe a screw fell in the duct and is rolling around?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Maybe a jaw breaker or gum ball got dropped down the vent below the windshield by a child ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts