GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do not have my Acadia yet but have gone over the manual online. Thanks to which ever one of you posted that link! I read the maintenance schedule 2-3 times and am still a bit confused. Wodered if anyone got a better explanation or is better at deciphering the manual than me. My confusion is on the oil changes. Sounds like you do not change the oil until the computer says so. Says in the manual that could be over a year but should change at least once a year anyway. My car has an oil life sensor but I always changed at 5000 miles despite what it said. The manual also says something about alternating between maintenance schedule 1 and schedule 2. So, I guess my questions are; 1) when should I change the oil? 2) If I change before the car says to will it mess up the maintenance schedule? 3) I usually change the first oil after the first 1000 miles. Is that a no no? 4) Anyone understand the alternating maintenance schedules?

All in all looks like a very low maintenance car. Beats the pants off the pricey and high maintenance imports.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
My dealer said to change the oil every 3000 miles. I do live in Houston so it is VERY hot in the summer. I've had the car less than a week and my OnStar report stated that my oil was at 97%. At this rate I'll be changing it by next month!!

If you change the oil at 1000 miles, there is a way to reset you gauge. This starts everything over.

Hope this helps!
Kym

·
Registered
230 Posts
since I change my own oil/filter I plan to do it about every 3000 miles, just like I have with every other car I ever owned. I figure that's a small price to pay for engine longevity.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do not have my Acadia yet but have gone over the manual online.

Please give me the link for this, Great to read before I get my Acadia (6 weeks away)
Thanks, Lee

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do not know the link off the top of my head but it is in the forum somewhere. Look in the tech section

·
Registered
497 Posts
mckcab said:
My dealer said to change the oil every 3000 miles. I do live in Houston so it is VERY hot in the summer. I've had the car less than a week and my OnStar report stated that my oil was at 97%. At this rate I'll be changing it by next month!!

If you change the oil at 1000 miles, there is a way to reset you gauge. This starts everything over.

Hope this helps!
Kym
Huh?
The display of 97% is "oil life remaining," not that you are 3% left to needing your oil changed. You've got thousands of miles to go.

My dealer said that the official frequency of oil change for the Acadia is every 7500 miles. Even though your dealer suggested that you change the oil every 3000 miles, that's not what the vehicles DIC is calibrated for. I will likely change mine more frequently than every 7500 miles, but my DIC is displaying related to current mileage and a change at 7500 miles.

The other poster is correct, if you change your oil, you should reset the "oil life" setting in the DIC.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Gee, I wonder why the dealer wants to change the oil every 3,000 miles :confused: when the manual calls for 7500? Maybe something to do with his profits. ::)
By the way, does anybody know what kind (brand and type) of oil the factory installs?

·
Registered
497 Posts
But of course, the dealer wants you to spend 3x what you would need to at the dealership!

Per page 398 of the Acadia owners manual, specifies SAE 5W-30 oil. Acadia comes with regular oil (aka "Dino Juice"), not synthetic.

See this post for more info about oil changes and switching to synthetic. Also definition of "Dino Juice".
http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=191.0
This thread was an early one on the Forum and posts were from February to March 5. Great info there.

From that thread, some advice. Regular oil/dino juice does a better job to "Remove manufacturing debris and break-in metal particles by early flushes with fresh oil." And, "Synthetic oil is so slick, it will not let the rings seat properly in the cylinder. You run the risk of the engine using oil for the rest of its life. Using standard oil eliminates this risk by allowing the rings to seat."

And on switching from regular transmission fluid to synthetic, "If you are worried about wear and break-in, you would be far better off to change the transmission oil early than the engine oil. Modern engines aren't sooty, don't contaminate the oil much at all and are built to close enough tolerances that they don't grind a lot of metal into the crank case in the first few thousands miles. A transmission, on the other hand, can really wear itself out with just a few metal filings in the fluid, which is continuously and rapidly recirculated. And I would change to a synthetic tranny fluid at the same time - synthetic really makes a difference when it is going to be there for many years & 10's of thousands of miles."

·
Registered
151 Posts
Bill in PA said:
since I change my own oil/filter I plan to do it about every 3000 miles, just like I have with every other car I ever owned. I figure that's a small price to pay for engine longevity.
I change my own oil as well, however did you see where the oil filter is on this thing? i think you have to take it out from the top!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Huh?
The display of 97% is "oil life remaining," not that you are 3% left to needing your oil changed. You've got thousands of miles to go.

[/quote]

I know that, but my car went from 99% to 97% in less than a week. My car turns one week on Thursday.

Most of the cars I have driven have said that you don't have to change the oil at 3,000 miles, but it is HIGHLY reccomended in the heat to change it more. It gets above 90 for at LEAST three months here. The dealer suggested 3,000 miles, which I will do. Mine gave me two free oil changes so they aren't making money off of me. My husband and I have had a Nissan, Volvo, Acura, Chrysler and Infinity every one of those said change at 3,000.

·
Registered
161 Posts
rme...I change my own oil also...I did my first oil change on my Acadia a few days ago...man...they really screwed the oil filter on tight on mine! Had to crush it a little...but I did get it removed. You do access it from the top...the is a little drain gutter and if you have the Acadia on high ramps the oil will never make it to the gutter and find it's own way down the engine. Pretty easy to clean up though with a quick spray of brake cleaner.

I changed my factory fill to Castrol 5w30 (first oil change at 1,800 miles). I will leave this oil in there until I have a little over 5,000 miles...I'm sure at this point the DIC will show 75% life left in the oil.

Then I will switch to AMSOIL. I found it's the best synthetic on the market. For those Texas summers...this is the oil I would go with. Incredible protection. Then I will leave the oil in for 6-7,000 mile drain intervals...I would leave it in longer but I just enjoy working on my cars...good stress reliever for me. I find this to be a good balance for me between great protection and saving the planet. Ha.

·
Registered
185 Posts
RedRocker said:
Then I will switch to AMSOIL. I found it's the best synthetic on the market. For those Texas summers...this is the oil I would go with. Incredible protection. Then I will leave the oil in for 6-7,000 mile drain intervals...I would leave it in longer but I just enjoy working on my cars...good stress reliever for me. I find this to be a good balance for me between great protection and saving the planet. Ha.

How do you determine which oil is better than another? I'm no mechanic, and I always get my oil changed at a dealership or a "Grease Monkey" type place. I've never really put much thought into the oil. Is there tangible benefits (i.e. better mileage) to different brands/types of oil? The advice above steers me away from a synthetic, not that I was considering it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
See discussion in the post I linked above. (#8, I believe to this thread)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks. I've read the thread referenced and have decided that I am not going to worry about it! ;D

·
Registered
752 Posts
:clap2: :clap2: Absolutely great article. Really answers all the questions. This needs to be posted in the tech section somewhere.
Thank you :notworthy:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got my Onstar report yesterday:

Remaining Oil Life 58%, no service needed. Next Oil Change Estimated at 8500 miles.

Milage 3547, No Mainetnance needed.

My dealer wants to change it when they replace the 3rd row speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used the Oil Life Montior on my 2002 Envoy since I got it, and actually end up changing the Oil about 1 a year. After the first oil change I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic, as that is what I run in all my vehicles and have never had any engine related issues.

The "change your oil every 3,000 miles" was created because it was theworst case scenerio of when conventional engine oil would start to break down in an engine. So that was set by the manufacturer's long ago. Today your computer can calculate engine oil life based on continuouly monitoring your engine temperature, RPMs, start ups etc. This is much more accurate then just saying change it every 3,000 miles or changing it 7,500 with a lot of highway miles.

Think of it this way, did you ever see an expiration date on a case of oil? No. Why not? Because oil doesn't breakdown appreciably unelss you are using it. So the amount of use determines how long it will last.

Whatever you decide to do, just make sure you are within what the owner's manual says and that way no one can ever dispute a warranty claim with "you didn't follow the recommended oil change interval."

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
20 Posts
From that thread, some advice. Regular oil/dino juice does a better job to "Remove manufacturing debris and break-in metal particles by early flushes with fresh oil." And, "Synthetic oil is so slick, it will not let the rings seat properly in the cylinder. You run the risk of the engine using oil for the rest of its life. Using standard oil eliminates this risk by allowing the rings to seat."
That is a total crock. Many cars come from the factory with synthetic. i.e. BMW,Mercedes, Cadillac CTS, Corvette. Where do people come up with this stuff. The only car/engine where synthetic is not recommended was the last generation Mazda RX-7 with the rotary engine. The break in particles is an old man's tale going back to the 40's and no longer accurate.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts